Thread: The dreaded "B" word!

Thanks

Default The dreaded "B" word!

Hi folks,
    hate to mention this on a fountain pen forum but I am looking for a good quality ballpoint/rollerball as a graduation gift for my son. I am willing to spend around $300 U.S. on it.
    My son is not the least bit interested in fountain pens ( he does not live with me ) and is more of an ipad/smartphone kind of guy. He has all the tech toys but I am sure that at some point he will need to take notes in class/lectures at college so I thought a nice BP/RB would be a good present.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to buy from an authorized retailer/dealer for the warranty.

Thanks

David

Thanks

Default Re: The dreaded "B" word!

You could consider a Lamy 2000 bp. You could even consider putting it in combo with the FP hoping to convert him one day.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I want to congratulate you on considering your son's interests. This will make it more likely that he uses the pen.

I honestly don't think you should spend $300 for a college pen but I think a nicer Parker ballpoint would be great, and here is why: it will be easy for him to find refills. More exotic brands may require online shopping and searching. I can pick up Parker ballpoint refills in my small town stores. Actually, you might want to get him a starter pack of refills to get the idea in his head that the pen is refillable. It may seem obvious to you and I, but it isn't. One of my students was recently interested in my Noodler's Konrad and asked what it cost. He said, "That's a lot of money to just throw away." I had to explain to him that I refill the pen. Kids aren't used to refilling pens.

Something else to consider is engraving it to make it special. I don't like the Cross brand, but I have a Cross ballpoint that was given to me in 1999 as a gift by a former employer. It is engraved with thanks and the years I worked there. Somehow that made it special.

Speaking of brands, I really love the Parker Jotter, but this is a cheaper pen. I did a quick search on Amazon. I find the Parker Sonnet quite attractive but sufficiently understated for the the college environment. The Parker Duofold is a gorgeous pen. I actually like the ballpoint version better than the fountain pen version, but it is probably too flashy for the college environment. Maybe save that as a gift when he graduates college. I have experience with Cross, another common gift pen, but I don't like them: they're uncomfortable to hold and I don't think they write as well as Parker.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Sandy Fry (April 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

I can understand wanting to spend 300 on a pen, if that's what you would like to spend for him for his graduation gift, and a pen is nice because it is hopefully something he'll have forever and remember. I do agree, however, that maybe a less expensive pen, if the idea is that he'll take notes in college with it, might be a good idea. I agree with everything that has been said about refills, etc.

If you have that pricepoint in mind, what you might do is give him the pen and put aside the remainder of the money, to be applied to some other gift at some point if runs over what you have budgeted for that other gift. I spent a semester abroad in College, partly with money given to me by my grandmother for HS graduation.

Thanks

Monteverde and Levenger both make stylus ballpoint/rollerball pens, for those who are tech savvy. Both companies make a variety of models for rollerball and ballpoint. You can get the Monteverde One Touch from Goulets, Levenger carries their own pens along with several other brand pens like Faber Castell, Visconti Van Gogh pens, Montegrappa, and Pelikan - all with rollerball and/or ballpoint in your price range.

For that matter, a Mont Blanc rollerball can maybe be had around $300, I'm not sure. I'm not a Mont Blanc gal.

Brian Gray of Edison Pen Co can make a rollerball pen of any of his models, done in a nice swirl ebonite or classic black ebonite would make a handsome pen, and he stands behind his work. You'll be at or just a smidge under $250 for most models.

Pelikan has rollerball to match their Mseries. How about a Pelikan M200 and an R200 set? Would be close to your top dollar, though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kia View Post
    Monteverde and Levenger both make stylus ballpoint/rollerball pens, for those who are tech savvy. Both companies make a variety of models for rollerball and ballpoint. You can get the Monteverde One Touch from Goulets, Levenger carries their own pens along with several other brand pens like Faber Castell, Visconti Van Gogh pens, Montegrappa, and Pelikan - all with rollerball and/or ballpoint in your price range.

For that matter, a Mont Blanc rollerball can maybe be had around $300, I'm not sure. I'm not a Mont Blanc gal.

Brian Gray of Edison Pen Co can make a rollerball pen of any of his models, done in a nice swirl ebonite or classic black ebonite would make a handsome pen, and he stands behind his work. You'll be at or just a smidge under $250 for most models.

Pelikan has rollerball to match their Mseries. How about a Pelikan M200 and an R200 set? Would be close to your top dollar, though.
    Thanks for the recommendation! However, I'll correct you - rollerballs are $200, not $250.

Have a great week!

Brian at Edison

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

kia (April 21st, 2014)

Thanks

I would recommend a Kara's Kustom or one of the other machined pens that are quite popular right now. They are ridiculously durable which is something that a college student definitely needs. And they're refillable with a number of different brands so he'll be able to choose whichever his favorite is. And I think their look will appeal to a typical young college guy more than a traditional style pen.

Thanks

Peter Unbehauen does a distinctive line in ballpoints if you fancied something unique: video here.

Thanks

I recently purchased a LAMY 2000 ballpoint and love it. part of my EDC. take it to work every day. looks great, works great; no complaints.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

Thanks

Default The dreaded "B" word!

Just my two cents: buy him a retro 51 pen and pencil set and the retro 51 that just came out that has the stylus tip. Or else, buy him a montblanc from Carmen Rivera's pens.

Thanks

For a tech oriented, the Sharbo X LT3 is awesome!!!
    Multipen!!!!

Thanks

Thanks for the input folks.

I was thinking of maybe the Lamy 2000 ballpoint and pencil???

A pen/stylus combo sounds like a great idea too.

I do like the Parker ballpoints. I take a stainless steel Jotter to work with me in case someone asks to borrow a pen.

Never tried any of the Retro 51 pens...might have to look for some reviews.

I have no idea what a Sharbo X LT3 is but I will certainly do a search for it.

Thanks again folks.

David