Thread: Iroshizuku Yu-yake

Thanks

Default Iroshizuku Yu-yake

The Iroshizuku inks by Pilot are quickly becoming my favorite brand. I started my Iroshizuku collection with Yu-Yake (Sunset), which is a delightful burnt orange that I would describe as somewhere between a sunset and the color of autumn leaves. It is a very saturated orange, though it exhibits significant shading in a wide nib. In a fine nib, the shading is reduced, though still apparent.

One of the characteristics I like about the Iroshizuku inks in general is their relatively quick drying time, which makes them good candidates for journaling. On an absorbent paper like a Moleskine or Ecosystem journal, the ink dries in 2 seconds. On a less absorbent paper, like the Rhodia 80g paper I wrote the review on, it took a good 15 seconds to dry. In a Moleskine journal, this ink does exhibit some feathering, though show-through and bleed-through are minimal. It is an easy-flowing ink, and I have had no trouble using it in any pen.

The Yu-Yake is a very vibrant color, though easy to read. I have had no trouble using it for daily use, but it would be an unlikely candidate for business use.

As with the other Iroshizuku inks, Yu-Yake comes in a beautiful, solid, 50 ml bottle. The bottle has a depression in the base to allow for the last drops to be claimed with ease. The only drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50 to 100% more than other inks.

Iroshizuku Yu-Yake is highly recommended.

Review materials: for the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.1mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Safari. For the fine strokes, I used a Lamy XF steel nib on a Lamy Safari. The paper was Rhodia 80gsm.
    seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, origami, poetry, and more
    my ink reviews
    follow me on twitter @carpedavid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Now this would be a color that might get me to actually shell out for a bottle of Iroshizuku.
    Another great review. My only recommendation is to add pictures of the bottles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Now this would be a color that might get me to actually shell out for a bottle of Iroshizuku.
    Good suggestion. I will likely start doing this with future reviews.
    seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, origami, poetry, and more
    my ink reviews
    follow me on twitter @carpedavid

Thanks

I am seriously considering this as my first Iroshizuku. I really like that color and think it would look great in my TWSBI amber Vac 700.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    yu-yake including bottle image

http://justdaveyb.com/2011/11/20/int...extured-green/

Thanks

Nice Review!

The beautiful but rainy Pacific Northwest
    Thanks

Nice review of a great ink! This is one of my favorites in the Iroshizuku line
    All the electrons in this post are recycled!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

This looks different and prettier than any orange I've previously tried. Thanks for the review and putting it on my list

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

I just loaded it in a Platinum B nib. Lovely.