Thread: Two Sheaffers on Flea Market

Thanks

Default Two Sheaffers on Flea Market

Hi guys. This morning I went to an Antiques Festival in small town near me and found two great looking Sheaffers. The one I bought is the Snorkel and the other one is, I'm assuming Triumph 444.

I need your help on the Sheaffer Snorkel because it seems to me the cap is from another Snorkel because the cap has golden trims and actual pen has silver trims. I don't know if this is true so I'm asking you The nib is marked F4 and that is all I know about it. I paid it 20$ along with the leather case. Did I do well or misfired?

The supposed Triumph 444 I haven't bought. It is sold for 10$ and I don't know anything about it. Is it worth it?

[/img]

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Two Sheaffers on Flea Market

The first purchase is the real winner: you've got a Sheffer "Valiant" model Snorkel, with the Palladium nib; all the hardware is correct. You can find plenty of information here on Richard Binder's site. Assuming you know the correct process for filling the pen (and if you don't, *ask* and we'll point the way!), you should try filling it a few times with just plain water. This will not only start to flush the pen of old ink, but check to see if the sac and the seals might need replacing. You *don't* want this pen to have a leak inside, as there are many parts in the filling system that could rust, etc. There are plenty of people who restore these pens, but we might have to ask around for your area. Nice pen.

The second is not a necessary purchase, but for $10 it is definitely a good pen. Almost all of those Sheaffer inlaid nibs are good writers. You'll need either a cartridge or make sure (again, with water) that the included squeeze convertor is still good.

Nice finds!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Hi Jon, thanks for the help. I actually already filled it with water couple times and washed it thoroughly. Now it is inked with Lamy blue which I suppose is safe for this vintage pen? For servicing, in Croatia we have Miroslav Tischler. I met him a month ago in his shop and had an one hour private lesson in fountain pens and chance to look at some beautiful pens. The pen writes and fills nicely. I'm already enjoying my purchase and I'm tempted to get the 444.

Petar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    you've got a Sheffer "Valiant" model Snorkel, with the Palladium nib; all the hardware is correct.
    Yes, it's the "Valiant" with the PdAg nib, otherwise known as the "Statesman".

I've often wondered why Sheaffer didn't make the barrel and thread rings gold plated/filled. Even the gold-filled "Triumph" had these parts in chrome, though I think the solid gold "Masterpiece" had them in gold.
    --
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 10th, 2014)

Thanks

The first purchase is the real winner: you've got a Sheffer "Valiant" model Snorkel, with the Palladium nib; all the hardware is correct. You can find plenty of information here on Richard Binder's site. Assuming you know the correct process for filling the pen (and if you don't, *ask* and we'll point the way!), you should try filling it a few times with just plain water. This will not only start to flush the pen of old ink, but check to see if the sac and the seals might need replacing. You *don't* want this pen to have a leak inside, as there are many parts in the filling system that could rust, etc. There are plenty of people who restore these pens, but we might have to ask around for your area. Nice pen.

The second is not a necessary purchase, but for $10 it is definitely a good pen. Almost all of those Sheaffer inlaid nibs are good writers. You'll need either a cartridge or make sure (again, with water) that the included squeeze convertor is still good.

Nice finds!
    Jon;

A little hasty as you've seen the Palladium nib yet you call it a Valiant - it's a Statesman.

Roger W.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roger W. For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 10th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    you've got a Sheffer "Valiant" model Snorkel, with the Palladium nib; all the hardware is correct.
    Yes, it's the "Valiant" with the PdAg nib, otherwise known as the "Statesman".

I've often wondered why Sheaffer didn't make the barrel and thread rings gold plated/filled. Even the gold-filled "Triumph" had these parts in chrome, though I think the solid gold "Masterpiece" had them in gold.
    Heavy wear parts in gold or gold filled would not last as long as a harder metal, it would continue the overall hardware color though.

Roger W.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger W. View Post
    Heavy wear parts in gold or gold filled would not last as long as a harder metal, it would continue the overall hardware color though.
    We see that often enough with cheap Chinese pens. The snap caps abut a gold-plated barrel insert, and over time the pating on the insert wears and begins to look rather distressed. The ring on the end of the barrel was new with touchdown system, but gold (filled, I would guess) thread rings were used on some other models of pens in the 1940's (I think). If these tended to wear badly, then that would be a lesson learned, I guess. I've only had one, on a lever-filled Crest, and it was in good shape.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger W. View Post
    A little hasty as you've seen the Palladium nib yet you call it a Valiant - it's a Statesman.

Roger W.
    I will bow to Roger's pen wisdom, and my only excuse is a poor caffeine:Jon ratio when I was posting.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin