Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Notebook covers

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Notebook covers

Michael what a privilege for us to go through your creative process with you! Stunning work, truly stunning.
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inlovewithjournals For This Useful Post:

MY63 (May 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Thanks for your kind words I do appreciate them.
    Today is a glue up day.
    I have the dragon embossed project along with the bridle leather cover and needed a third to use the glue up as I always seem to have glue left over.
    So Cut a piece of leather and for decoration

IMG_7452 by my0771, on Flickr

This lovely soft embossed and pierced leather I don't have an order for two of these but I am making them anyway I think I will offer the embossed dragons head for sale here as this is where the idea came from.

I am still learning about carving and bevelling these are my practice pieces.

IMG_7445 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_7446 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

I wanted to share the final stages of this cover as it started here the first picture shows the inside cover with the embossed dragon head on its outside.
    I have mixed some latex glue with 1/3 of water to help it soak into the leather, As this is a contact adhesive it is applied to both pieces of course this also means that the two halves must only come together when you are ready

IMG_7454 by my0771, on Flickr

Once the glue had started to dry I covered it with a piece of card matching up the edges and the corner

IMG_7455 by my0771, on Flickr

Next I placed the top piece in place again matching the two edges and the same corner

IMG_7457 by my0771, on Flickr

The final step was to remove the piece of card and press the two pieces together.

At the request of the purchaser I made some alterations to the inside of the bridle leather cover to allow papers to be stored opposite the note pad

IMG_7458 by my0771, on Flickr

I am hopeful that the marks showing through will fade as the glue dries, the inside needs to be dyed a suitable colour I will also sew around the edges.
    The were some issues getting the back cover of the note pad to slide in and out so I lined the inside of the slot with suede this resolved the problem.

thanks for looking

Michael

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 23rd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    I wanted to share the final stages of this cover as it started here the first picture shows the inside cover with the embossed dragon head on its outside.
    I have mixed some latex glue with 1/3 of water to help it soak into the leather, As this is a contact adhesive it is applied to both pieces of course this also means that the two halves must only come together when you are ready

Once the glue had started to dry I covered it with a piece of card matching up the edges and the corner

Next I placed the top piece in place again matching the two edges and the same corner

The final step was to remove the piece of card and press the two pieces together.

At the request of the purchaser I made some alterations to the inside of the bridle leather cover to allow papers to be stored opposite the note pad

I am hopeful that the marks showing through will fade as the glue dries, the inside needs to be dyed a suitable colour I will also sew around the edges.
    The were some issues getting the back cover of the note pad to slide in and out so I lined the inside of the slot with suede this resolved the problem.

thanks for looking

Michael
    Turned out really nice! And you thought a dragon was too difficult . . . You have done a great job with the challenge.

Thanks

Here is the red case that you have not seen.

IMG_7465 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_7469 by my0771, on Flickr

This red leather is the same as the purple I used previously it is incredibly soft. I need to dye the inside but I cant decide on a colour if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it

Thanks

Michael

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 23rd, 2014)

A small cottage on the outskirts of Bad Ass
    Thanks

Oh my gosh Michael, these are beautiful! Bravo!! (I especially love that you've put little charms on them!)
    "Feri ando payi sitsholpe te nauyas"
    ("It was in the water that we learned to swim")

Lovara saying

“She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.”
    ― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shimmershadow For This Useful Post:

MY63 (May 24th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post

thanks for looking

Michael
    Turned out really nice! And you thought a dragon was too difficult . . . You have done a great job with the challenge.
    Thanks Tracy and thanks for giving me the inspiration as an extra thank you would you like one of the dragon cases they will both take field notes type notebooks.
    Michael

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 25th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post

thanks for looking

Michael
    Thanks Tracy and thanks for giving me the inspiration as an extra thank you would you like one of the dragon cases they will both take field notes type notebooks.
    Michael
    I have been on travel so I will pm you!

Thanks

Another notebook cover finished today this was ordered to match the ten pen case I made for someone in Japan it is English bridle leather with an oxblood kip leather interior

IMG_7518 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_7505 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_7507 by my0771, on Flickr

I hope that when the interior dries out fully the colour will even out if it does not I may be dying it black

Thanks for all of the support

Michael

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (May 28th, 2014), Tracy Lee (May 26th, 2014)

Thanks

I am looking for a little help I have a cover ready to be put up for sale but I cant decide which colour elastic to use as you can see from the picture below I have red black and gold.

IMG_7520_1 by my0771, on Flickr

It is a midori traveller style although it has been made slightly larger to hold three or more notebooks.

Thanks

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; May 28th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks

Michael

I would eliminate the black one - and depending if you wanted to blend or stand out the red to blend and the gold to stand out obviously

Capt Obvious
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Thanks CW if it was for me I would use the black but I am planning on selling this one so I wanted the colour that would have the widest appeal.
    Thanks for the input though
    Michael

Thanks

Michael, these are all so beautiful! You had asked for input on the red notebook elastics--I don't know if it's possible, but could you offer to customize the elastic at the buyer's request? They can choose the color they prefer. It's a way for people to personalize their notebook, perhaps. That you've made it larger than the standard ones, is just brilliant! Best of luck with your new shop!

And if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last.

~L. Zeppelin

Thanks

Hi Carole thanks for the input.
    I don't actually have a shop leather working is just a hobby to me, usually I only make items when someone asks.
    I made one of these notebook covers for my daughters lecturer in purple and it looked great and I wanted to see what one would look like in red.
    Your idea of allowing the buyer to choose the colour of the elastic is a good one I was thinking of offering it for the same price as a standard Midori traveller notebook cover?

Thanks again

Michael

Thanks

Finished
    The carved dragon case is finished

Here are some final pictures

IMG_7581 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_7579 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks

Michael

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (June 4th, 2014), cwent2 (June 2nd, 2014), Lady Onogaro (June 4th, 2014), Tracy Lee (June 3rd, 2014)

Thanks

Mike

That is awesome! Great work as always!

Mahalo for sharing!

Carl
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

MY63 (June 2nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Cool!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

MY63 (June 3rd, 2014)

Thanks

I don't know if anyone is interested but I have just put the red case for sale in the classifieds section there is also an option to order a purple one for the same price.
    To be honest I am unsure of the price it seems expensive but it is good quality leather and there are two pieces well I would appreciate feedback good or bad.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

Michael, I have thanked you privately but wanted to thank you publicly too. I am thrilled with the notebook cover, it arrived today. It is the perfect size for the backpocket journal (Tomoe River of course) and the charms are, well, charming! I won't be changing a thing. I am so glad you gave the dragons a try!! And with the extra cord you included, it holds two books very nicely.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (June 15th, 2014), inlovewithjournals (June 19th, 2014), lisantica (June 19th, 2014)

Thanks

Lovely cover
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.