Thread: FS: Mabie Todd Swan vintage flex with cracked nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

Default FS: Mabie Todd Swan vintage flex with cracked nib.

SOLD!!

$40 shipped CONUS.

This one has a bit of a story.

This was the first pen I restored. I purchased it from the Chicago Pen Show last year for $80. I put a new sac and talc on it. I tore it apart and cleaned it all. I hand polished the body with micromesh. It was great! I only bought it to try out a Mabie Todd. At the time I purchased several pens to see which ones I liked. I really like Mabie Todd's now.

Fast forward to present time.

I won a "pretty" green marble Mabie Todd Swan from ebay. Fully restored, new sac, ready to write. HORRIBLE photo. Well, I get it and the nib has a crack and is covered in decades old ink and had been dropped on something coarse like concrete, the new sac is crusted full of purple ink, the inside of the body is crusted full of blue ink, and the cap is crusted full of purple ink, blue ink, and cat hair. I tore it apart completely. I cleaned the inside of the body carefully with surgical swabs. I cleaned the cap. I tore off the "new" sac. I installed a real life actual new sac. I talc'd it. Then I stole the awesome nib from this plain green pen and shoved it in there. It is AWESOME now.

On this pen I cleaned and polished the nib, I straightened the tines. I smoothed out the tipping material.

I put the cracked nib in this pen and now you can have it for $40. It writes. It has a crack though and is a bit creaky because of it. It does have awesome flex though. If You have a magic wish granting unicorn you can ask it for a new Mabie Todd #2 nib and then you'd have a nice pen worth $80. This pen has nib issues but writes half way decent now. The smithsonian isn't going to hunt you down for this pen but you will be able to woo a winsome maiden with your flourishy vintage flexiness. This pen is a dark green color. The end is stamped 3240.

Last edited by 00Photo; May 15th, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: sold

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

Default Re: FS: Mabie Todd Swan vintage flex with cracked nib.

For some reason this pen looks great in the photos. It doesn't look that good in real life. It does have a years worth of daily carry scratches on the body.