Thread: Conklin Nozac 5000 Words Vs 7000 words (oversize)

Thanks

Default Conklin Nozac 5000 Words Vs 7000 words (oversize)

Already had bought a Nozac, had even some difficulty in knowing whether the model was the 5000 or 7000 words.

Recently i found a 5000, as I'm fortunate to have both with the same pattern and color, it is now easy to see the differences.

The length is basically the same as the width is substantially different is that, as the nib. However, the 7000 generally have the nib equal to 5000, only with a different mounting due to the difference in width.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Francisco Pena For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (May 16th, 2014), discopig (May 22nd, 2014), fountainpenkid (May 15th, 2014), jde (May 15th, 2014), Jeph (May 15th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (December 12th, 2017), Seattleite (December 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Conklin Nozac 5000 Words Vs 7000 words (oversize)

The larger pen is an early Nozac , note the different clips, and the two tone nib indicates an upmarket model.What does the imprint say on this one? Does it have Pat. Pending on it? The 5M is interesting in that it has the inlaid crescent in the cap indicating a higher end model yet a smaller nib and a slimmer barrel both of which are features of lower models, as such an odd combination, it's an early 5M before they dropped the crescent from the cap. The colour is also found in lever fill.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks

Hi HughC here are same more pic, if you click on them they will expand.

5000 Words

Oversize our 7000 Words

Last edited by Francisco Pena; May 16th, 2014 at 05:32 AM.

Thanks

Thanks Francisco,

The very first Nozacs had Pat. Pending stamped on the barrel, I was wondering if yours did. It's still an earlier one but not the earliest. I would call your bigger pen a Senior size rather than oversize ( it's pre word gauge so technically not a 7M) and your 5M a Junior. As far as I'm aware they made 4 sizes, the small 4.5", the slender 5.25" , a fat 5.25" and a 5.5" one ( at least that's what came in the lever fill equivalents).

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks

Thank you for the info.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Monday evening sounds good for resurrecting old threads.

I just restored this Rose Green marble Conklin Nozac Word Gauge 5M (5000).

Any other Nozac fans here?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 19th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (December 12th, 2017), Seattleite (December 12th, 2017)

Thanks

I had originally intended to use these images as part of an argument for the benefits, if not necessities, of soaking (not restricted to sections). They seem more constructive here. I'll see if I can find an image of a well-beaten dead horse for the other thread.

So, some decent Nozacs, with a couple of scarce ones that I have disassembled and am slowly getting back together.

1 - What I can only describe as a Proto?-Nozac. 5M size. All thread pitches, diameters and filling components are compatible with production Nozacs, down to the inscription on the filling knob. The only marking is a "Patent Pending" imprint on the barrel. Nib is a nice quality "Warranted 14K" and feed is a generic-looking flat bottom with fins. How about that top mount clip? It is a dead ringer for the clip that is used on the Diamond Medal "Comrade" series, but I am confident that this pen is not of National/Barrett manufacture.

2 - Nozac 7M, faceted, with large two tone nib.

3 - Another 7M, faceted, which also has a two tone nib, but with different graphics.

4 - Early Nozac Symetric "PAT PENDING", fully opaque barrel.

5 - Early Nozac. look at unusual barrel taper at distal end.

This image highlights the 1 piece vs split barrel 7M versions.

At the bottom, the atypical filler knob of the Nozac Symetric can be seen. Note that the hole for the shaft pin is in the reduced diameter front portion of the knob. This is concealed when the piston is fully retracted. It is only accessible when the piston is extended.

At the upper left is the Proto?. It has suffered the all too common splitting of the barrel end, displaced by corrosion of the filler unit. I have removed the filler remnants, and plan on seeing if I can heat and swage the celluloid back to shape around a properly sized threaded mandrel, then solvent fuse and clean up the threads for a "new" unit. If successful I'll post outcome later, as I think that this pen is truly worth saving.

Bob

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (December 12th, 2017), penwash (December 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Nice, Bob! These images are sure more useful here in this thread.

What a nice variety of the family.

I like that Nozac with a "Comrade" clip. I have a Diamond Medal that is waiting for one, if I ever found one!
    - Will

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (December 12th, 2017)

Thanks

I'll put together a thread for National Pen Products at some point. I, too am one Comrade clip short. Kind of a clever design, as it allowed the same cap to be either fitted with a ring top or clip.

Anyway, Nozacs are interesting pens. We all seem to have examples of the Rose and Silver Pearl, one of my favorites. Did you do the "O ring" piston seal? Truly the challenge is getting the buggers safely apart.

Bob

Thanks

Yes, I replaced the dried up rubber disc and cork with two O-rings. Strangely I found out that by using two different sizes of O-rings, with the larger one closer to the barrel opening, the piston operated smoothly with less resistance. The ink capacity is very good, but the Word Gauge has ambered on mine. Your's are very clear.
    - Will

Thanks

Well Will, the secret to that is that the box with all of the dark ones and other bits is just out of camera view. These pens always seem to need at least one part to get them back in shape. Some of the pens I have consist of just one good part, so it all works out.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Great plastic in these pens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    I had originally intended to use these images as part of an argument for the benefits, if not necessities, of soaking (not restricted to sections). They seem more constructive here. I'll see if I can find an image of a well-beaten dead horse for the other thread.

Bob
    I had a look at the construction of these Pelikan-alikes. I would be thoroughly ashamed of myself if I couldn't disassemble one with a few applications of heat. Pretty straightforward, easy repair.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    Well Will, the secret to that is that the box with all of the dark ones and other bits is just out of camera view. These pens always seem to need at least one part to get them back in shape. Some of the pens I have consist of just one good part, so it all works out.

Bob
    That's funny, Bob!

One thing for sure, this won't be my first Nozac. I'll be looking out for other patterns and colors. Who knows, we can trade parts in the future.
    - Will