Thread: My tiny Italian Stable!

Thanks

Default My tiny Italian Stable!

I thought I would share with everyone the two Italian pens I own. Small amount in comparison to others I know but I am trying to do something about that!

My first Italian pen purchase came a couple of years ago. I saw for sale on John Mottishaws website and immaculate Montegrappa Historia in grey mother of pearl celluloid and fell in love with it! It came with the huge box, papers, book and beautiful cloth pouch as well.

The pen is wonderful to write with, it is a medium nib but writes like a fine it is a little dry and does have some start up issues if left for a couple of days but nothing major and not annoying enough for me to have it seen to. I just open the blind cap and twist the piston converter extension to flood the feed and away I go!

Fit and finish is exceptional. It is my best built pen ( you can see the pens I own in my signature that I compare this one to) The Stirling silver hardware is beautifully machined and the mother of pearl that is ground into the celluloid has a wonderful iridescence about it. It is even more so due to the deep deep blue grey of the celluloid, perfect! Ebonite feed and 18k nib plated with platinum, the bib has a nice spring to it and writes wonderfully. The only plastic on this pen is the clear section of the cartridge converter. By the way, this has to be the best built cart converter I have ever seen. It has an extended twist section so that one can operate it by simply unscrewing the blind cap instead of the whole body.

The second Italian pen is a more recent purchase. I saw Farhney's had a couple of their red and black ebonite Stipula Passaporto's left and loved the look of them, always wanted a pocket pen and the fact it is an eyedropper and ebonite sealed the deal. Lovely pen but with one flaw that really puts me off using it on a daily basis. The cap does not screw onto the body when posting like the plastic ones. If ones hands are the tiniest bit moist when touching the pen the cap becomes almost impossible to post and stay put. I have to wipe the body with a cloth and then it will stick! If they had machined threads like they do with the other passporto's this pen would be an every day user. Other than that it writes very well, feels amazing to hold, Ebonite is such a wonderful and warm material, so natural in the hand I feel, though this particular ebonite certainly pongs a bit!

No leak problems, no ink flow problems and mine has the lovely italic nib.

I have my eye on the third addition but am trying to decide between the piston or cartridge converter, the pen, oh, the Tuscan dreams. I actually love the rather over the top pen furniture on it. Having lived in Florence I feel it is very appropriate to a city that never lets you forget it's artistic roots!

So, here are some pictures, hope you enjoy!

The Historia:

And the Stipula:

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

goldiesdad

Wow great looking pens and nice pics ....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I like the ebonite Passaporto. Now I know what pen Kaigelu was thinking of when they made the 323.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

They look great, Ian. My passporto has never written well. The tines are too tight I think and nothing I've done with my level of skill has worked. I'll have to get it to a nibmeister eventually. But that didn't stop me from recently buying a Vedo which I love and highly recommend. It is a piston filler after all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Thanks Guys, they are lovely pens and I must admit I have just done something crazy after writing it. I have now doubled (as long as they can get them!) by Italian Stable. I have been trying to decide between the piston or cartridge converter Stipula Tuscan dreams.. I just ordered both!
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Best way to solve the problem! Welcome to the madness

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

nice collection! hope you love the Tuscan dreams!! what color?
    My italian wish list would be and OMAS Dama Arco, and an OMAS 361, along with a LUS Giubileo 53

Thanks

Thanks again Guys, I agree,the best way to solve the problem was buy both!!
    FPKID, there is just one colour, red black ebonite
    Here is an image from FPgeeks own site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
    Thanks Guys, they are lovely pens and I must admit I have just done something crazy after writing it. I have now doubled (as long as they can get them!) by Italian Stable. I have been trying to decide between the piston or cartridge converter Stipula Tuscan dreams.. I just ordered both!

Congratulations on the Stipula Tuscan Dreams purchases....and many thanks for posting the photos of your lovely Montegrappa Historia (I've seen it several times at our pen club meetings and it's a stunner!) and your new Passaporto in ebonite. Sorry to hear about the posting issues. I know some Passaportos have threaded barrel ends and some do not. Not sure why Stipula didn't make them all threaded....

Thanks

Thanks Maja, just sent you an email about the offer you sent!
    I will of course bring the pens to the next meeting if they have got here by then!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
    Thanks again Guys, I agree,the best way to solve the problem was buy both!!
    FPKID, there is just one colour, red black ebonite
    Here is an image from FPgeeks own site.

1,0000 Droolies!!! So pretty! although the clip is a bit wierd. But nice buy! post pics when you get them!

Thanks

Will do, I know this model has caused some controversy with the clip but I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. There will be lots of pictures once they arrive!

Thanks

just heard, both Tuscan dreams should be with me by the weekend and it looks like I managed to get the italic medium on the piston as I was hoping (there are not many of these pens about so I am really happy I scored the nib I wanted as well!) for!

Thanks

Default Re: My tiny Italian Stable!

What a beautiful Montegrappa.