Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite pencil?

Thanks

Default Re: What's your favourite pencil?

Ahh... when I found out that I needed something smaller than 0.5 mm lead I tried 0.2 and 0.3 lead but 0.4 was it. I bought all currently available 0.4 mm mechanical pencils, that makes 14 pencils from Mitsubishi, OHTO, Pentel and Pilot. Plus the nicest of them all, Pilot S20 0.5 modded to 0.4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPGeek View Post
    Ahh... when I found out that I needed something smaller than 0.5 mm lead I tried 0.2 and 0.3 lead but 0.4 was it. I bought all currently available 0.4 mm mechanical pencils, that makes 14 pencils from Mitsubishi, OHTO, Pentel and Pilot. Plus the nicest of them all, Pilot S20 0.5 modded to 0.4.
    I've never seen any 0.4 mm mechanical pencils for sale

Thanks

My favourite mechanical pencil is the Uni Kuru Toga 0.5, which works wonderfully for my usage.

However, I am also fond of my Cult Pens Double-Knock 0.5, which has a nifty retracting mechanism. This is the mechanical pencil that gets taken out and about.

For wooden pencils, I find it hard to choose between Tombow MONO and Mitsubishi Hi-Uni. The Hi-Uni is available in 8B and 10B though, which are the grades you need when you need to draw it black.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datainadequate View Post
    I've never seen any 0.4 mm mechanical pencils for sale
    I live in Finland so no way to buy here. I mainly got those from net shops in Japan like shop.j-subculture.com or global.rakuten.com, then there is JetPens and Cultpens for example that carry some.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

What's your favourite pencil?
    Nemechek's Victorian figural pencils in sterling. After that, I like a yellow No. 2 Ticonderoga with a fresh point.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 31st, 2016 at 06:59 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Hawk (March 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Faber Castell Grade F The 9000 series feels just right
    IN my school days there was a Faber Castell line which was red and gold, those were my favorites
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

I'm sure it means something is wrong with me, but my favorite pencil is not using a pencil. Students marvel that I don't use pencils to do mathematics, but I don't, and never have. I'd rather use a ballpoint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I like the Blackwing pencils----they are the smoothest pencils ever! And they come with replaceable erasers, so when they wear down, you just pop out the old one and insert the new one.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    I'm sure it means something is wrong with me, but my favorite pencil is not using a pencil. Students marvel that I don't use pencils to do mathematics, but I don't, and never have. I'd rather use a ballpoint!
    Even your checkbook register and your crossword?

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    Even your checkbook register and your crossword?

Fred
    Yes, definitely for the checkbook. I've never been able to get into crosswords, so I can't say on those. But certainly for other puzzles that involve writing, like proving theorems. I'm not afraid of crossing out mistakes! (Indeed, sometimes it's quite useful to reconsider those mistakes.)

Fernando

Thanks

I have a new favorite, a vintage PILOT mechanical pencil.
    (click on thumbnails for larger photos)

It even came with a manual... although it's in Japanese so I cannot read it. Suffice it to say, operating is simple enough to not need it, but I'd love to know what the actual model name is.
    Last edited by myu; March 3rd, 2017 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    I have a new favorite, a vintage PILOT mechanical pencil.
    (click on thumbnails for larger photos)

It even came with a manual... although it's in Japanese so I cannot read it. Suffice it to say, operating is simple enough to not need it, but I'd love to know what the actual model name is. It seems to be something like Pro Tech.
    プロテク --> Pro Tech. Just one character shy of the name shown.
    That's a neat pencil you have!

Thanks

Here's an interesting Pilot MP... a company well known for their stainless steel bodied writing instruments. Their black stripe steel and cisele style sterling silver models are fairly common. But they also produced a "window pane" grid style that I'd never seen before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    Here's an interesting Pilot MP... a company well known for their stainless steel bodied writing instruments. Their black stripe steel and cisele style sterling silver models are fairly common. But they also produced a "window pane" grid style that I'd never seen before.

Those Pilot pencils really do look nice, do you happen to know the model of them?

I use a rotring 600 and a Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 22 mostly, the Pentel Graphgear 1000 from time to time because it has a retractable lead sleeve, while the Rotring 600 doesn't have.

Thanks

There is just one mechanical pencil I would rely on if it came down to it: rOtring 600. For any kind of technical drawings, I dare you to find a superior pencil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qsnc View Post
    There is just one mechanical pencil I would rely on if it came down to it: rOtring 600. For any kind of technical drawings, I dare you to find a superior pencil
    I have a few mechanical pencils, some better-looking than the Rotring 600, but none with a better writing performance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    Those Pilot pencils really do look nice, do you happen to know the model of them?
    Unfortunately, no. Pilot didn't make much of an effort to relay model numbers in English for those sold only in the JDM. I sure wish I knew the one for this pencil:

Got this really interesting and uncommon Pilot mechanical pencil. Black window pane grid. What I didn't realize is that the body has a slightly larger rear section that steps wider at the seam. There's a black stripe mechanical pencil with that same design. Strange thing is the tip doesn't have an extending lead sleeve.

Click on thumbnails to enlarge.

Here you can see a comparison with a) typical black stripe steel Pilot mechanical pencil, B) window pane grid, and c) black stripe steel with enlarged rear body. They're even hard to find on the Japanese market, let alone USA. Great quality... but my preference is for the vanishing point models (H-1005, H-2105, H-3005, etc.).

Thanks

one of this morning charity shop finds was a CROSS pencil - 1/20 - 12 KT g.f. - Made in U.S.A ............ fresh out of lead and the rubber has disappeared - I think someone has poked the front end into something so it may need some tlc. - and you can see what is possibly a roll-stop stuck to the top of the clip.
    It says MANITOWOC, which you'll all know is in Wis. - I assume this is simply a private personalized addition to this pencil rather than having been sold as such - I could be wrong, but not sure. Any thoughts welcome - presume this is a fairly recent model, and it looks as though CROSS are made in both Ireland and the States, which I didn't know.
    Anyone know if it's possible to remove the front cone in case I need to clean the thing through, or is that a professional job?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaulS; April 12th, 2017 at 02:59 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulS For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

I like wooden pencils. You can't chew on mechanical pencils, plus they don't smell. I love the smell of a freshly sharpened pencil I have here a wooden pencil from 6th grade. I still use it, so it's not like it's some treasured artefact, it's just wearing down veeeery slowly. The eraser has been chewed off and almost all the paint is gone. The wood is a grubby shade of grey. When I sharpen it the cone of clean, bright-coloured is almost shocking.

Thanks

It has to be the Staedler Noris HB as this pencil was a mainstay of UK classrooms when I was a kid. They coat the lead in wax so they are very smooth and the leads never crack. Dixon Ticonderogas are nice too and they last but are a bit hard. I love General Semi Hex pencils too: a lovely dark line and a fabulous box. From a smallish US family business: that's something rare these days.