Thread: Ideas for present

Thanks

Default Ideas for present

Hi all

Newbie here needing advice

Want to buy a pen for a gift (male)

He is likely to have an appreciation of a good pen, however will not be a pen geek! :-)

He owns a couple of pens, one of which I believe will be montblanc.

I'm looking for a a pen to fit following criteria.

1) sub £400 (ideally £300 mark) (450 USD)
    2) a known brand so the recipient will know they have received a good pen (so ideally no "quirky" new brands)
    3) classic in nature but maybe a modern twist.

My knowledge at this range isn't great but my research says maybe Graf Von faber-castell? Classic but modern twist seems to sum them up???!!
    Any other ideas welcome!!

I'm don't object to watermans or parker etc and similar but because they have a cheaper line of pens I was thinking of getting a more "elitist" brand. I know that sounds pretentious but if you guys believe they have the best pens at that price point then I will happily take the geeks advice!!

I have no idea of writing style or nib preferences etc so I'm buying a little blind!

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Ideas for present

Viscounti
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Hard decision to make not knowing his taste in pens. Vintage? Modern? Fat pen? Thin pen? Material? Filling system?

There are many variables to take into consideration. There are a great deal of pens available in your price range and I don't envy your task!

Good luck!

David

Thanks

Agreed, it's tricky. Pelikan was the first name which came to mind (I can't imagine there's anyone who wouldn't find a Pelikan highly acceptable), but there isn't much of a modern twist.

How about an Omas 360 My 2011? That ticks all the boxes, and comes in at not too far over £300. It's not for everyone, mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pennewbie View Post
    Hi all

He is likely to have an appreciation of a good pen, however will not be a pen geek! :-)

2) a known brand so the recipient will know they have received a good pen (so ideally no "quirky" new brands)

My knowledge at this range isn't great but my research says maybe Graf Von faber-castell? Classic but modern twist seems to sum them up???!!

I'm don't object to watermans or parker etc and similar but because they have a cheaper line of pens I was thinking of getting a more "elitist" brand. I know that sounds pretentious but if you guys believe they have the best pens at that price point then I will happily take the geeks advice!!

I have no idea of writing style or nib preferences etc so I'm buying a little blind!

Help appreciated.
    The Visconti Homo Sapien Midi has what you may want. Lava miser finish brushed steel accents and smooth nib yet it looks to incorporate some classic styling.

The Pelikans like a M600 or 800 would be good.

Finally Edison Pens sells a Menlo filler pen that is nice that is American made and of high quality.

Franklin Christoph has many nice pens on their website and again good quality nibs and specialty nibs available.

In the UK Mr Pen sells a Churchmans Prescriptor and Captains Commission for half your budget and you could afford both which they engrave for fee.

Best wishes and good luck.

Mags
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Silverbreeze (May 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennewbie View Post
    Hi all

Help appreciated.
    The Visconti Homo Sapien Midi has what you may want. Lava miser finish brushed steel accents and smooth nib yet it looks to incorporate some classic styling.

The Pelikans like a M600 or 800 would be good.

Finally Edison Pens sells a Menlo filler pen that is nice that is American made and of high quality.

Franklin Christoph has many nice pens on their website and again good quality nibs and specialty nibs available.

In the UK Mr Pen sells a Churchmans Prescriptor and Captains Commission for half your budget and you could afford both which they engrave for fee.

Best wishes and good luck.

Mags
    Not sure if F-C and Edison have the name recognition OP was asking for which is why I didn't just say Edison Signature :-)
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Agree with the Pelikan M600 or M800 suggestion. Or in the UK, maybe a Conway Stewart?

Thanks

Platinum president. Sailor 1911. Pilot (Justus? Decimo?). See eBay for these.

Don't disagree with the other suggestions.

I'd love my wife to get me a Menlo, but that is because I am a geek. (I'd take a 1911 or a president equally gratefully).

Ah, fantasies...
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Gift certificate to Edison Pens so he can have on made *just* the way he wants?

Pens are so personal, from nib preference to girth/length/etc. I wouldn't know how to buy one for someone else unless I really understood their preferences. And I really buy based on preference, not name or brand status so really can't help there.

If you want something fancy for him to set on his desk and people to think "oh he's doing well financially" just get a Montblanc anything. But to really let him play and enjoy I'd maybe get him a gift cert for a custom pen.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!