Thread: ED dry start?

Thanks

Default ED dry start?

I seem to have some (sporadic and not quantified) issues with dry start for vertically stored (shirt pocket etc.) eyedroppers. Most recently experienced with an Edison (Jowo #6 18k). And before you ask, I have not had trouble when this pen was stored horizontally.
    My best guess is that the feed is not properly saturated. Any experience with this? Is this a known phenomenon or an outlier?
    -Phil

Thanks

Default Re: ED dry start?

Quote Originally Posted by kallenpj View Post
    I seem to have some (sporadic and not quantified) issues with dry start for vertically stored (shirt pocket etc.) eyedroppers. Most recently experienced with an Edison (Jowo #6 18k). And before you ask, I have not had trouble when this pen was stored horizontally.
    My best guess is that the feed is not properly saturated. Any experience with this? Is this a known phenomenon or an outlier?
    -Phil
    Maybe the nib comes with baby bottom.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Also, it would help to know the ink in use. Some are more prone to quick-drying in the feed.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Nib is fine. It has come from Mike Masuyama in the last few months.
    Ink is day 10 pelikan blue black which is dry at times. The root question is whether nib stored up in an ED prevents saturation of the feed which them leads to the dry start.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

If the question is regarding nib-up storage and feed saturation, that situation would occur no matter the filling system. A cartridge, convertor, piston, or any other fill is going to have an air gap once the first part of the ink supply is used up. I can't see how it would be any different by becoming an ED.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, as this interests me as well. I don't carry pens in a pocket, but my pens at home are stored both nib-up and horizontal, and I have varying degrees of "readiness" in both cases.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

mhosea (May 25th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If the question is regarding nib-up storage and feed saturation, that situation would occur no matter the filling system. A cartridge, convertor, piston, or any other fill is going to have an air gap once the first part of the ink supply is used up. I can't see how it would be any different by becoming an ED.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, as this interests me as well. I don't carry pens in a pocket, but my pens at home are stored both nib-up and horizontal, and I have varying degrees of "readiness" in both cases.
    Thanks Jon. No argument taken. The difference is that with CC and piston I can open it up and force ink through the feed. I had heard some people prefer nib up storage and this point did not make sense to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kallenpj For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 25th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Thanks Jon. No argument taken. The difference is that with CC and piston I can open it up and force ink through the feed. I had heard some people prefer nib up storage and this point did not make sense to me.

Thanks

Also Pelikan Blue-Black is super dry. Like taming-Visconti Dreamtouch dry. That might be a problem.

Perhaps try a wetter ink like Waterman Blue or similar?

Thanks

And you can prime the feed by halfway or so turning the barrel (away from the section), then turning upside down and reclosing. You should do this above something that can take the drops of ink that will fall from your pen when you do that.
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

Thanks

Try just holding the pen nib down for 5 to 15 seconds, but don't try to prime it or re-wet it or scribble with it. If that works, then there is probably nothing wrong with it. I store such pens horizontally when I can. I have a Pilot Metropolitan that is like this, and has been continuously inked for a handful of months now but stored horizontally and it always just starts that way, and always needs a few seconds held nib down if put in a pen cup.