Thread: Big enough Esterbrook

Thanks

Default Big enough Esterbrook

I really like how my Esterbrooks write. I got an SJ, but then realized it's far too small for my hand, so decided to get a J. The J I wanted was out of stock so I got a Transitional J instead. That was still too small so like Goldilocks I thought a third try might be just right, and ordered a proper J. Still really too small. By too small, I mean, if I grip the section it's possible to pass the end of the pen through where my thumb meets my hand. Posted, they are all OK, and maybe that is just how I must use them. Unposted, the J and Transitional J are ALMOST large enough for comfort but not quite.

I'd like an Esterbrook that fits my hand well, if they made any. I could try an LJ, but not only are they longer but more slender, and I am not sure that's what I want. Is there another pen in the line I might try? Do the other models accept the nice nibs I have for the Js?

Thanks

Default Re: Big enough Esterbrook

You could buy a desk pen and use a cap on it.

Thanks

Yeah, In the "J" line that uses Renew-Point nibs, the J/Dollar/Trans-J are the widest in diameter. I always comment that these pens are similar in length/width to Pelikan M/R200 pens, so that people will know they are not a large pen.

I actually have a custom turned pen that uses an Estie section- this was done for me years ago by Appleman. You can see more about it on the forums (Here/my forum/FPN)!

If you want to have an original J, the best thing to do is to use it posted. Hopefully, this will give you the balance you are comfortable with!

Regards,
    Frank

Pic shows an Estie J in copper next to my "Apple Estie", turned by forum member "Appleman"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank; June 1st, 2014 at 05:22 PM.
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 14th, 2014)

Thanks

The full J is about 5 inches long (so is the Slender J, or LJ). That was a full-sized pen...most Parker Vacumatics were also about five inches. Meant to be posted, I think.

Thanks

At the time of manufacture most pens were about 5" capped. Then grew another half inch or so posted. Designs assumes these pens would be posted.
    As for Estie, the M2 is an aerometric style that uses renew points and is a little longer, but may be a tad thinner.
    I post every pen I have that will let me, I have a Cross Solo that writes smooth but can't be posted. I'm thinking of giving it to the wife.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Post it. These pens aren't very usable unposted, unless for *very* small hands. I've put Esterbrook sections in other pens as well - it doesn't change the smallish diameter of the section, but a larger pen can be easier to hold (for some) in other ways. And then you aren't stuck with the standard boring Estie color mix.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Another option is a M2. Still an Estie but it is the softer plastic, still uses the ReNew points (nibs). Almost 1/2" longer than a J uncapped. Not as common as a J/LJ/SJ and using a metal cap and aerometric style filler. I have two and like them, but I prefer Js. I also post my pens, but a M2 is long enough sans cap. Hope this is helpful.

Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidde For This Useful Post:

gbryal (August 4th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

I mentioned hosting Esterbrook nibs and sections in other pens that are a bit larger than an Estie J. I've got a couple now that are deemed Esterever Wearbrooks. I still don't have a decent camera for macro work, but I pulled out one of them and set up the phone for shots. The donor pen is a Wearever "Meteor" in a striped celluloid very reminiscent of the striped Parker Duofolds from around that time, a very lovely piece of plastic. Hardware has held up nicely, so it was just a matter of pulling the section, sanding down an Esterbrook section just a wee bit to slip into the barrel, and the job was done.

The pen is holding one of my favorite nibs, a somewhat uncommon "Frosted" 9314-F Relief nib, the perfect little mini-stub. I believe the pen itself set me back about $12.00.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Art (August 13th, 2014), ashley (August 27th, 2014), Frank (July 29th, 2014), gbryal (August 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidde View Post
    At the time of manufacture most pens were about 5" capped. Then grew another half inch or so posted. Designs assumes these pens would be posted.
    As for Estie, the M2 is an aerometric style that uses renew points and is a little longer, but may be a tad thinner.
    I post every pen I have that will let me, I have a Cross Solo that writes smooth but can't be posted. I'm thinking of giving it to the wife.

Paul
    The Cross Solo can be posted. Push the cap on the barrel and it has a click stop. The cap clicks as it engages and holds. I used to think the cap wouldn't post on the Solo also, then thought "Doh, am I thick."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

kidde (August 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I prefer larger pens, because I have large hands, but an Esterbrook SJ is a very convenient size for carrying on my person. As it is only for notes, not writing compositions, the fact of its smaller size is not a problem.