Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 123

Thread: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

  1. #41
    FPD earthdawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,077
    Thanks
    3,508
    Thanked 2,289 Times in 837 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Thumbs up Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    Gets it done all day...


    What pen is this?! I like!
    Clear Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen w/Gold clip ~ True workhorse and man does it take beating and keep on trucking'

    AND it is a super smooth writer !!!

    http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Classi...r-Body/pd/6628

  2. #42
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    3,639
    Thanks
    3,669
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    Gets it done all day...


    What pen is this?! I like!
    Clear Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen w/Gold clip ~ True workhorse and man does it take beating and keep on trucking'

    AND it is a super smooth writer !!!

    http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Classi...r-Body/pd/6628
    Why can I see gold under the cap of your pen but in the link it looks whitish?
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?óMary Oliver

  3. #43
    FPD earthdawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,077
    Thanks
    3,508
    Thanked 2,289 Times in 837 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    It could be the light... I took it a "Pen in Pocket" selfie lol...

    Heres a pic of it in regular lighting literally 2 minutes ago


  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

    Aleks (June 4th, 2014), KBeezie (June 2nd, 2014), VertOlive (June 2nd, 2014)

  5. #44
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 456 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Looks like you removed the inner cap (the white piece VertOlive was talking about). I think that piece is only there to keep the nib from drying out (either that or to make the cap look prettier when the specks of ink isn't as visible).

    Any chance you can show that pen next to something like currency or something else to get an idea of it's size, I know Kaweco are small, but I always see them photographed by themselves that I never really get an idea of just how small.

  6. #45
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    3,639
    Thanks
    3,669
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Looks like you removed the inner cap (the white piece VertOlive was talking about). I think that piece is only there to keep the nib from drying out (either that or to make the cap look prettier when the specks of ink isn't as visible).
    Yes, my Mini TWSBI has a greyish liner in its cap that some people remove for appearance sake. Thought it might be the same deal...
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life"?óMary Oliver

  7. #46
    FPD earthdawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,077
    Thanks
    3,508
    Thanked 2,289 Times in 837 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Sorry.. YES I took out that ugly inner cap. It stays perfectly wet and writes every time... every time. It is one of the few pens I can say has not once had a hard start.

    Here ya go...

    Mont Blanc 146 ~ Kaweco Sport ~ TWSBI mini

    Last edited by earthdawn; June 2nd, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (June 2nd, 2014), lisantica (June 16th, 2014), VertOlive (June 3rd, 2014)

  9. #47
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 456 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    :P Nice buttons.

  10. #48
    Senior Member Cob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Berkshire, England
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanks
    2,003
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 628 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Baby Swan 2.jpgWyvern 5 bJPG.JPGLike others here I would never keep a pen in my trousers...

    I liked the Swan SF112B shown earlier.

    Here are my two old mini pens.

    First at 11cm capped,the Swan SF100B and then at 11.5cm the Wyvern ring-top.

    Rgds

    Cob

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

    VertOlive (June 3rd, 2014)

  12. #49
    Senior Member Cob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Berkshire, England
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanks
    2,003
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 628 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    How embarrassing: I forgot. There are two more, both about 11.5cm

    The Parker Lucky Curve Duofold Junior I have up for sale on a well-known auction site, and the lovely Swan 230B/60 which sadly has the wrong cap. I am lucky in that they both have glorious nibs.

    CobParker 2 small.jpgSwan 230B_60sml.jpg

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

    Lady Onogaro (June 4th, 2014)

  14. #50
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 475 Times in 209 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    For those that choose not to carry any pen in their pocket:

    Perhaps it would be more useful to say why you make this choice, so that the OP and others might give consideration to your reason(s). All I see now are subtle admonishments or incredulous remarks along the lines of "it's just not done".

  15. #51
    Senior Member AndyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 422 Times in 229 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Um, it depends on the pocket and the pen.

    Inside jacket pocket - so long as the pen has a clip that's fine.

    Shirt pocket - needs a reasonably stiff clip, and to be short enough.

    Trouser pocket - not for me. That's where I like to keep things like nuts, bolts, nails, keys, drill bits, spindle moulder cutters, penknives, sawdust and so forth in them ... you know, just the usual sort of stuff everybody carries around with them. Not the ideal environment for a pen really. And if I'm not carrying that stuff around I'll invariably have a shirt or jacket pocket anyway.

    And some pens really deserve to ride around in style in a pouch, especially the clipless variety. Like this one:

    Blackbird01S.jpg

    (My apologies for that. I know most people find that sort of picture gratuitous and tasteless, but I couldn't resist).

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

    Cob (June 4th, 2014), kaisnowbird (June 5th, 2014)

  17. #52
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 475 Times in 209 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Um, it depends on the pocket and the pen.
    This is the key, IMHO. 27 years as a soldier (so far), wearing a uniform with lots of pockets, I've become somewhat of an expert of what kinds of things should or shouldn't go in various pockets...

    In general, I wouldn't carry a pen in a front pants pocket (not even a cheap ballpoint). Mainly because it's an easy way for them to get broken and then leak. There are some exceptions though. A Fisher Space Pen, for example, is no problem. A Kaweco Sport managed a year in Kandahar with no issues. I'm confident in the liliputs and FC model 40 as well, based on their size, materials and design (when capped). There are probably similar styles that would also be suitable.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

    LagNut (June 11th, 2014), VertOlive (June 10th, 2014), writingrav (June 4th, 2014)

  19. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    846
    Thanks
    965
    Thanked 284 Times in 216 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    At the moment I am carrying a Swan 1060 in my shirt pocket when I go to work. Asking for trouble I know...

  20. #54
    Senior Member Cob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Berkshire, England
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanks
    2,003
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 628 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Um, it depends on the pocket and the pen.

    Inside jacket pocket - so long as the pen has a clip that's fine.

    Shirt pocket - needs a reasonably stiff clip, and to be short enough.

    Trouser pocket - not for me. That's where I like to keep things like nuts, bolts, nails, keys, drill bits, spindle moulder cutters, penknives, sawdust and so forth in them ... you know, just the usual sort of stuff everybody carries around with them. Not the ideal environment for a pen really. And if I'm not carrying that stuff around I'll invariably have a shirt or jacket pocket anyway.

    And some pens really deserve to ride around in style in a pouch, especially the clipless variety. Like this one:

    Blackbird01S.jpg

    (My apologies for that. I know most people find that sort of picture gratuitous and tasteless, but I couldn't resist).
    Hear hear to that (my trouser pockets have a pocket knife, keys, change and quite often other junk.
    What a beautiful pen; what is it?

    Cob

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

    Lady Onogaro (June 4th, 2014)

  22. #55
    Senior Member gbryal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    227
    Thanked 361 Times in 172 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    If we are talking about shirt pockets, I don't think I have a pen that doesn't fit in mine. I'm 6' tall and I guess all of my pockets are big enough for an Edison Hudson. If I am worried about structure or leakage, I have a pack of clear plastic pocket protectors that I'm not afraid to use. So all of my pens are pocket pens in that regard.

  23. #56
    Senior Member Cob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Berkshire, England
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanks
    2,003
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 628 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    At the moment I am carrying a Swan 1060 in my shirt pocket when I go to work. Asking for trouble I know...
    Grrr I really quite fancy a 1060!

    A 4461 arrived today (No 4 nib) It's really nice I must say - and FAT! Totally off-topic here I'm afraid.

    P.S. I have put the three grey ones up as a lot on you-know-where; I need to rationalise - there's another Swan on the way as it is and I want to buy a decent eye-dropper or two.

    Cob

  24. #57
    Senior Member AndyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 422 Times in 229 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    A Kaweco Sport managed a year in Kandahar with no issues.
    That's about as ringing an endorsement as I've ever seen. It's a fantastic utilitarian design.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    What a beautiful pen; what is it?
    Thank you. It's a BCHR Blackbird, apparently just known as the Blackbird Black; the presentation date on the band is January 1929. I've noticed that there seems to have been an influx of Mabie Todd fanciers recently and thought it was worth reposting the picture.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

    Cob (June 4th, 2014)

  26. #58
    Senior Member Cob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Berkshire, England
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanks
    2,003
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 628 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post

    That's about as ringing an endorsement as I've ever seen. It's a fantastic utilitarian design.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    What a beautiful pen; what is it?
    Thank you. It's a BCHR Blackbird, apparently just known as the Blackbird Black; the presentation date on the band is January 1929. I've noticed that there seems to have been an influx of Mabie Todd fanciers recently and thought it was worth reposting the picture.
    Ah yes, well Mabie, Todd and Co. (I might have guessed - or at least, should have!). That company made so many different models and so many stunningly beautiful pens - most in excellent taste it must be said; no wonder there's an "influx!" And on top of that, a very high percentage of their output - at least as far as I know, are delightful when fulfilling their intended function - M,T made wonderful nibs.

    Thanks again for posting the picture; phew! What a beauty!

    Best wishes,

    Cob

  27. #59
    The Nibsmith dannzeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IOWA -- Go HAWKEYES!!
    Posts
    1,245
    Thanks
    524
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 439 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite



    Definitely the Pilot Stargazer for me. Check out my review for more info.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

    alc3261 (June 28th, 2014), jde (June 22nd, 2014)

  29. #60
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanks
    4,753
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 842 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    For those that choose not to carry any pen in their pocket:

    Perhaps it would be more useful to say why you make this choice, so that the OP and others might give consideration to your reason(s). All I see now are subtle admonishments or incredulous remarks along the lines of "it's just not done".
    My "trousers" are usually jeans, and the pockets just aren't deep enough to carry any kind of pen in. I wouldn't trust it to not get damaged or to fall out. And I don't wear shirts or blouses with pockets, generally.

    I could see using a ringtop pen of some kind, and I can see myself using that pen loop that Franklin-Christoph makes.

    In the main, I just don't think most women's clothing is made with functional pockets.
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

    fountainpenkid (June 12th, 2014)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •