Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

On the rare occasion that I do have a shirt with pockets in front, the Pilot Elite Mini fits nicely into it. (That's like maybe one of ... 3 shirts I have with a pocket in front, or this case pockets on both sides).

The bottom of the pen is just below the bottom of the lower flap. But that's not saying much because the top/inner pocket can hold up to the height of a Jinhao 599 (metal) or a Faber-Castall BASIC, both of which I find to be pretty tall. It could even hold a Jinhao 159... but then I'd be wondering why my shirt is falling off to one side.

pocketed_elite.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Lanbitou "Cigarette" pen.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    At the moment I am carrying a Swan 1060 in my shirt pocket when I go to work. Asking for trouble I know...
    Grrr I really quite fancy a 1060!

A 4461 arrived today (No 4 nib) It's really nice I must say - and FAT! Totally off-topic here I'm afraid.

P.S. I have put the three grey ones up as a lot on you-know-where; I need to rationalise - there's another Swan on the way as it is and I want to buy a decent eye-dropper or two.

Cob
    Sorry Cob. I am not sure what I was on yesterday but the Swan I was referring to is not a 1060 but a torpedo shaped 2060 with a #6 nib. According to someone in another forum this is probably an early 4660 still marked as 2060.

On the other hand it hasn't got a Swan nib but a #6 Phillips nib which is also an excellent writer.

Wow I never realised you were selling the Swans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

At the moment I am carrying a Swan 1060 in my shirt pocket when I go to work. Asking for trouble I know...
    Grrr I really quite fancy a 1060!

A 4461 arrived today (No 4 nib) It's really nice I must say - and FAT! Totally off-topic here I'm afraid.

P.S. I have put the three grey ones up as a lot on you-know-where; I need to rationalise - there's another Swan on the way as it is and I want to buy a decent eye-dropper or two.

Cob
    Sorry Cob. I am not sure what I was on yesterday but the Swan I was referring to is not a 1060 but a torpedo shaped 2060 with a #6 nib. According to someone in another forum this is probably an early 4660 still marked as 2060.

On the other hand it hasn't got a Swan nib but a #6 Phillips nib which is also an excellent writer.

Wow I never realised you were selling the Swans.
    Double Grrr! A 2060! Gosh. That monster is even more off-topic than my 4461. I believe that the Phillips nibs were very good.

One day I am going to have to try to get to the bottom of Swan's numbering system. The colours are reasonably straightforward (I think) but the rest of it! Ha!

I am NOT selling all the Swans, by a long chalk, but as I said, I do have to rationalise a bit. I thought that the three greys would make an attractive lot for a serious collector. There's a nice 3260 that will go soon as well I think. What I am waiting for is a double banded SF130 or a full-size 230 - with the right cap and of course a nib to die for!

Best wishes

Cob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    On the rare occasion that I do have a shirt with pockets in front, the Pilot Elite Mini fits nicely into it. (That's like maybe one of ... 3 shirts I have with a pocket in front, or this case pockets on both sides).

The bottom of the pen is just below the bottom of the lower flap. But that's not saying much because the top/inner pocket can hold up to the height of a Jinhao 599 (metal) or a Faber-Castall BASIC, both of which I find to be pretty tall. It could even hold a Jinhao 159... but then I'd be wondering why my shirt is falling off to one side.

pocketed_elite.jpg
    Great picture!

Thanks

Double Grrr! A 2060! Gosh. That monster is even more off-topic than my 4461. I believe that the Phillips nibs were very good.

One day I am going to have to try to get to the bottom of Swan's numbering system. The colours are reasonably straightforward (I think) but the rest of it! Ha!

I am NOT selling all the Swans, by a long chalk, but as I said, I do have to rationalise a bit. I thought that the three greys would make an attractive lot for a serious collector. There's a nice 3260 that will go soon as well I think. What I am waiting for is a double banded SF130 or a full-size 230 - with the right cap and of course a nib to die for!

Best wishes

Cob
    You will be able to see the pen on Saturday as it is my daily writer at the moment.

If you want a very good reference for Swan pens I usually use John Brindle's website: http://www.mabietoddpenlists.co.uk/

Thanks

Best wishes

Cob
    You will be able to see the pen on Saturday as it is my daily writer at the moment.

If you want a very good reference for Swan pens I usually use John Brindle's website: http://www.mabietoddpenlists.co.uk/
    Yes I have been in contact with John: I sent him a photo of the (grey) 3130 as he had 3130 listed as Royal Blue. I believe in fact that 30 was the code for grey - hence the grey 4230 leverless I have.

Cob

gregamckinney

I don't carry pens in my pants pockets, but do have a number of smaller, "pocket" pens for cases when I have shallow shirt pockets, or want to stow a pen in a small area of a briefcase or the car.
    These include Sheaffer Tuckaways, Wahl Bantams and LeBoeuf No. 40 ringtop pens.
    Best, greg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 9th, 2014), jde (June 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

If you don't mind your pen getting scuffed, i really like my Kaweco Al-Sport Raw it makes the pen very personal to you and how you use it. Mine is very beat up, but it reflects how I use it. Cheers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

writingrav (June 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

[QUOTE=Lady Onogaro;82889]
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

In the main, I just don't think most women's clothing is made with functional pockets.
    One minor exception being the scrub pants I wear into our "dirty lab". The side pockets are deep and roomy enough for a cell phone, gloves, disposable pipettes, and a small packet of ornamental shrimp food. Plenty of room for a mini.

That said, I'm still looking for the pen that will write on the slick labels and pulp paper we use around the labs.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

[QUOTE=VertOlive;83676]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

In the main, I just don't think most women's clothing is made with functional pockets.
    One minor exception being the scrub pants I wear into our "dirty lab". The side pockets are deep and roomy enough for a cell phone, gloves, disposable pipettes, and a small packet of ornamental shrimp food. Plenty of room for a mini.

That said, I'm still looking for the pen that will write on the slick labels and pulp paper we use around the labs.
    Oddly other than the Jinhao pens I have, all of mine seem to write on those slick labels, just takes a while to dry though even with the extra-extra fine nib.

No clue what pulp paper is though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

LagNut (June 12th, 2014)

Thanks

My Montblanc Mozart pen with an old beat up Fisher bullet pen for size comparison. It fits nicely in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. Nothing else goes in there so I don't have to worry about scratches or anything else.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402566622.917081.jpg

Thanks

Bexley Tuck-Away. It's compact but sports a ginormous 18k #6 nib. See pictures compared to a Kaweco Sport:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402569323.585516.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402569370.960876.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402569412.150916.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402569491.110476.jpg

Also it threads to post and as you can see is massive at seven inches long.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gwgtaylor For This Useful Post:

jde (June 22nd, 2014), Lady Onogaro (June 28th, 2014), lisantica (June 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post

Oddly other than the Jinhao pens I have, all of mine seem to write on those slick labels, just takes a while to dry though even with the extra-extra fine nib.

No clue what pulp paper is though.
    Does your ink actually dry where it can be. handled? if so, what ink? I have problems with the labels I get with the ink vials from Goulet.

if you have ink that does work, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    Mike

PS, I suspect you could replace "pulp" with "cheap", that would be my meaning...
    Last edited by LagNut; June 12th, 2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Fix quoting, add PS
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Thanks

For very small pockets indeed - new arrivals. the black one is an eye dropper from Japan called the "Little 75"

Mini Pens Mini.jpg

Rgds

Cob

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

jde (June 22nd, 2014), rgperedo (June 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Small pens aren't really my favorite. How small? If I have to post a cap to make me feel comfortable writing just a story note or phone number ... It's too small.

Thanks

Do my Sheaffer school carts count?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

Jeph (June 24th, 2014)

Thanks

My pocket pen is an old Kaweco Sport pistonfiller from the 40s, fitted with a new Kaweco Sport nib in M. It is small enough to be carried in pants pockets. I never leave home without it. Here it is, accompanied by the lapis blue Parker Lady Duofold with ringtop. They don`t differ much in size. But I don`t count the Parker as a pocket pen. For me, a pocket pen must be rugged. This one is far too elegant.
    Last edited by Icietla; June 15th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icietla For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 15th, 2014), jde (June 22nd, 2014), lisantica (June 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Is it crazy that I am now carrying 10 Kaweco Sports in my everyday case when they are supposed to be pocket pens? That said my new F-C #40 is my current favorite. The Matsuyama nib is a dream.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (June 15th, 2014), caribbean_skye (June 16th, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (June 15th, 2014), Tracy Lee (June 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fpquest View Post
    An obvious choice, Kaweco AL Sport is my pocket pen of choice.
    Pocket pen of choice here also. Waiting for one to be announced by Brian @ Edison Pens...just wishful thinking at this point