Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

Thanks

Default Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

What is your favorite pocket pen? For me, a pocket pen is one that easily fits in a front pocket of my pants. Pens that I know of that would fit my definition include: Kaweco Sport pens and the Franklin-Christoph Model 40 Pocket. But I'm sure there are others....
    Please share your experiences with pocket pens - I'm in the market for a step up from the Pilot Petit 1 that I'm currently using.
    Sealed for your protection.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Re: Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

Well, you know my answer to that one: Kaweco Sport, thought the F-C Model 40 is on my list for sometime this year.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Toulouse (June 1st, 2014)

Thanks

An obvious choice, Kaweco AL Sport is my pocket pen of choice. It used to be a Pilot VP since its retractable, its a little big but easy to pull out and use.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fpquest For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've become really fond of my Muji pocket pen, even though the nib is broader than I usually like.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ardgedee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Well, you know my answer to that one: Kaweco Sport, thought the F-C Model 40 is on my list for sometime this year.
    I do like my F-C 40, but it is a little expensive for me to have banging around with my keys. And I know how much you love your Kaweco Sports ... they're currently at the top of my list because the price is about right for me.
    Sealed for your protection.

Thanks

My Al-Star is full of scratches and dents from riding in my pocket. It doesn't mind. It suffers so my other pens don't have to. I think any of my metal pens, like my x450/x750 or Nemosine Fission could handle it too. My worry is a pen breaking when I sit.

That said, I got a little telescoping Camlin for free with an order that is small enough that it might be able to do the job too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

My current favorite 'pocket' pen is a Pilot Elite "Big Cap" from the late 70s sold by SpeerBob (it's a korean made version of the Pilot Elite Mini with an extra-fine steel nib), for about $22.

The cap is metal, the little end cap is plastic, but most of the pen when capped is protected. (it does post all the way to the ring when the sticker is removed)

posted.jpg

capped.jpg

I have a Japanese made version of the Pilot Elite Mini with a 18K Soft Fine nib coming, should probably be here tomorrow if not tuesday, identical size and look as the above, except the nib is a little larger and 18K gold instead of steel. That ran me $26 + $10 shipping, the Pilot Elite Mini seems to go for 25 to 40 on ebay when it's listed in auction format (though not always with a soft fine, sometimes just a fine, or medium, or posting or 'script' nib, but all are 18K)

The Steel Nib does have a tiny amount of flex to it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

jde (June 22nd, 2014), Toulouse (June 1st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toulouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    I do like my F-C 40, but it is a little expensive for me to have banging around with my keys. And I know how much you love your Kaweco Sports ... they're currently at the top of my list because the price is about right for me.
    Good point about the F-C 40, but I still want one. The Classic Sports and Ice Sports are an incredible value and I use them as eye droppers so they hold a ton of ink. The AL series are cool, more money but still a value but you have to use either cartridges or the not so great squeeze converter. The Art Sport is more expensive still but is really good looking and can be used as an eyedropper. I'm waiting for a vintage piston filler to arrive in the mail. Should be the best of both worlds.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

14. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

My favorite pocket pen is my Kaweco AL Sport in raw aluminum. It's heavy duty enough to stand up to a few knocks and its fine nib always starts up immediately even after sitting unused for a few days. It lives in the pen loop of my Hobonichi planner's cover and I can toss it in my bag without worrying about the pen getting banged up.

I have a Franklin Christoph 40P in solid emerald with a wonderful Masuyama broad stub nib. I use it as an eyedropper. I love the pen, I love the nib, but I carry it with my other pens in a pen case as I don't want it to get scratched (and I don't quite trust an eyedropper-filled pen rolling around in the bottom of my bag).

I also have a silver Kaweco Liliput that has held up well to banging about in my purse. It is so tiny, though, that it has been (temporarily) lost twice. But I like it a lot because it's small enough to fit in a women's sweater pocket or even the rare shirt pocket.

I recently acquired a red Pilot Stargazer, which turned out to be being surprisingly small. The fine nib is very fine and smooth and a reliable writer. I carry this one clipped to my shirt sometimes and it's small enough to fit in some of my sweater or blazer pockets.

The Pelikan M300 is a nice pocket pen also, but, much like the Franklin Christoph 40P, a bit too nice to abuse. On the other hand, it's a piston filler! And it has been made in some lovely colorful finishes (I have the orange one).

Oh, I almost forgot the Stipula Passaporto. I have a few of the early ones, with the threaded barrel ends for posting, and I quite like them. They offer a steel italic nib option, which is nice. They can be used as eyedroppers or cartridge pens. I use them as eyedroppers. They're nice for traveling but for whatever reason they don't stay in my regular rotation (not quite sure why, hmm…).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

ceebert (September 4th, 2019), Toulouse (June 1st, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

The post above about the Pilot Elite reminded me of my Pilot M90. I love that one--the metal barrel and cap are nice and hardy. They're expensive now though (if you can find one). I also have a vintage-ish MYU 701, which is very similar. The nibs on both pens are just fantastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    The post above about the Pilot Elite reminded me of my Pilot M90. I love that one--the metal barrel and cap are nice and hardy. They're expensive now though (if you can find one). I also have a vintage-ish MYU 701, which is very similar. The nibs on both pens are just fantastic.
    Except on the "Big Cap" one that's made in Korea, the end cap (or I guess what would have 'technically' been the barrel if not for the huge section) is plastic.

I think the end cap on the the Pilot Elite Mini that's coming is metal, because it has a "18K" Stamp under a triangle on it in the picture with a texture that implies it's metal.

But yes, when I was doing a search for "Pilot Elite Mini", all the buy-it-now listings were over $100, but when I looked at auction history they only went for around 25 to 40 with a variety of different 18K nibs. I *think* the Pilot Elite 95S is probably the modern equivalent to them now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 699 Posts

Well, I don't carry fountain pens that way. Even my T-shirts have pockets, and that's what they're for. I do have some pen slips, and I'll occasionally carry a fountain pen in a cargo pants leg pocket, if I'm wearing cargo pants.

If I were going to carry one in a front pants pocket, though, my Parker 51 Demi is certainly small enough. So is the Kaweco Liliput. Of the two, the Parker is the better writer, but the Kaweco is not bad at all. My Esterbrook SJs are small enough too, but I'd hate to scratch the celluloid, and carrying a lever filler in a way where the the lever might catch on something seems like a bad idea.

Oh, and I do carry a pen in a front pants pocket most of the time, but it's a ballpoint. Fisher Bullet Space Pen as an emergency backup.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; June 1st, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks

I've noticed no-one has mentioned the Pilot Petit 1 - any opinions on that, as I've been looking at one.

Especially for the price!
    Regards,
    Leigh

Twitter: http://twitter.com/leighjphoto

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jokeruk View Post
    I've noticed no-one has mentioned the Pilot Petit 1 - any opinions on that, as I've been looking at one.

I've only seen it on JetPens for under $4 and I'm not particular a fan of completely clear plastic pens (especially plastic in my pocket).

Here's a review of it by one of my favorite youtube reviewers.

Honestly though if you've 'been' looking for one, the price seems like you could just get it to try it (I usually feel that way of anything under the $5 mark that has me wondering about it for a long period of time).

PS: The op mentioned the Petit1 as one he's using now.
    Last edited by KBeezie; June 1st, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jokeruk View Post

I threw a couple in on a JetPens order once. They're not bad at all, write about like a Varsity as I recall. My main problem with them was that they just aren't comfortable in my hand. I haven't used mine in over a year, maybe closer to two. They use a special short cartridge, which can be refilled of course, but the Pilot converters are all too long. Might be possible to eyedropper them, but I haven't tried it.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Love my guider pocket pen and my ohto rook. Pilot petit goes ok too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

No pen should ever be put in a pants pocket.

It really is that simple.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

HughC (June 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    No pen should ever be put in a pants pocket.

It really is that simple.
    Sometimes you don't have a choice other than to leave it at home since I don't have many shirts with pockets, and I don't wear tight fitting pants either. And with the weather the way it's been, sometimes that's all you got, pants and a shirt, no jacket etc. Unless you want to be seen with a fanny pack just for one pen.

PS: It's been said the same of Cellphones (mostly smartphones) and such too

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

ceebert (September 4th, 2019), fountainpenkid (June 2nd, 2014), Toulouse (June 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

Stipula Passoporto!
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomdeplume For This Useful Post:

Toulouse (June 2nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I don't keep a pen in my pocket, but I do keep one in my handbag. It's usually the Sailor Clear Candy or the Pilot Kakuno, although right now I have this very cute little pen gifted me from a kind person on this list when I bought his Lamys. It caps, but there's a little retractable nib in it. So cute! I do occasionally carry my Kaweco Music pen, but the nib is not a favorite.

I have a Pilot Petit 1, but I don't carry it in my purse. I'm not sure why not except that I have really thought to.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Toulouse (June 2nd, 2014)