Thread: Merz and Krell Pelikan 400NN

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Merz and Krell Pelikan 400NN (set)

G'day Geeks,

This thread is about Merz and Krell(MK)produced 400NN in the '70s. I have the opportunity to get all the colours: Green, Black, and Brown Tortoiseshell. I will share their photos and some of my observations when compared to Gunther Wagner(GW) 400. There are plenty of photos of the differences already on Ruettinger: http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-400.html, So I'm not gonna repeat all that, but I will add a little bit more. Okay, without further ado, onto the pics:

Gunther Wagner on top. Merz & Krell bottom.

Notice the step on the blind cap on the GW, and flush on the M&K.

GW cap sleeve dots vs slits on the M&K.

Artsy shot. Aka. The Jeph preview

This model has the following different features to model 400NN:
    1. a different style of nib, feed and collar, clip, and (metal!) crown ring
    2. no rim between the mechanism and the barrel
    3. a shorter barrel
    4. A threaded piston housing (normal threading)
    5. A different metal cap sleeve style
    6. Modern style piston stroke (shorter)

*Addendum mine

Except on the last point, everything was an improvement. Especially, the additional slits on the metal cap insert. They should prevent hairline crack prone to the older GW models caused by celluloid shrinkage. The crown ring is completely made of metal instead of plated plastic. The clip has a slightly different shape, a thicker ring, and was inscribed with "R9 400 NN" inside the beak. The nib is typical of the era in terms of springiness. I must stress that every part that was normally compatible between GW, is not compatible with M&K. That includes the cap, the crown ring, the clip, the nib collar, and piston parts except the rubber seal. Just keep that in mind.

That's it for now. I will add the other two (black and green) photos later when I finish the initial cleaning rites with them, eventually leading to the group photo. To be continued
    Last edited by Tony Rex; June 15th, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 6th, 2018), ardgedee (June 4th, 2014), carlos.q (June 4th, 2014), conib (June 8th, 2014), dr.grace (June 4th, 2014), Jeph (June 4th, 2014), mustud52 (February 11th, 2015), reprieve (June 4th, 2014), rgperedo (October 8th, 2014), RuiFromUK (June 4th, 2014)