Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stipula tuscan dreams arrives!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post
    Really?

i am sure I have something that will make do Peter
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks

Ah ha! My Ti should be here within the hour! Fingers crossed this one is fine!
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks

Ok..........so did it arrive yet??
    We are waiting with bated breath here <LOL>...

Thanks

Hey Maja, yep! It is here! This one in perfect order but you can tell these are not mass made as the metal work is a much more copper colour than the pistons.

The nib is lovely to write with and there is a good amount of difference between normal and full flex though it is not what I would call a flex nib as I can't imagine being able to write cursive with the amount of pressure required to attain that flex. The 14K nib on the piston version though not having the same degree of flex has a much softer nib so as to attain more line variation whilst writing normally, having said that!

I think the Ti nib version is going to get more use as the standard line it produces is perfect for my daily journalling.

I am glad I have both but if I had to choose just one and bearing in mind the special nature of the pen then the 14K would be the one. And having said that, the Ti version is an absolute bargain as you basically get the same look for under half the cost!

But for me they are both keepers, I love that the metalwork is different on each pen, Italian quirkiness and shows the truly hand made nature of the pen!

Thanks

Comparative pictures anyone? And writing samples, of course.

And I'm glad this one is OK. They sure took their sweet (italian) time!

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Yes, some side by side pictures for comparison would be really nice.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Hi Peter.

I have just taken so quick photo's to compare. The size is identical but the metal work is completely different in colour, hopefully these quick shots will convey that, the difference is not subtle! For me though it speaks of the individual nature of the manufacture and I find it charming rather than annoying! Despite the late arrival of the Ti version I still got a low number. The 14k is #36/351 and the Ti is #69/351

Here are so quick shots, better ones to follow once the sun has got higher in the sky!

And writing samples, note the flex on both! Ink is Diamine ASA blue which has become my favourite ink!

Thanks

Thanks Ian. The pictures certainly convey the difference. It looks to me like the rose in the rose-gold is more prevailing in the Ti version. And do be careful flexing that italic nib!

That Asa blue seems like a nice ink. Is it a true dark blue or is it blue-black?

Cheers,
    Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks

Peter, yes, I am careful with the nib, though in truth it requires little pressure, certainly no more than normal writing to get that variation where as the Ti needs a great deal more!

The ASA is a lovely colour more of a medium teal blue I would say, a lot lighter than Diamines Majestic blue which also has some purple in it. This one has more of a green/yellow shade (though it is not obvious, more the spectrum of blue)

Thanks

Congratulations on your newest fountain pen, Ian---it's a beauty!

Thanks for the quick reply & photos! If you wouldn't mind bringing both pens to our pen club meeting on Thursday (so I can compare them in person), that would be cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I may have to eat my words. The more I look at the pen the more I start to like it. When I first saw it, it was a bit over the top for me. Now, I am having second thoughts.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

You know, this really is a pen to see in the flesh, it looks much more balanced than when shown in pictures and I never tire of looking at the castings through a loupe and reveling in the details and craftsmanship.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

The copper colour metal work looks good especially the nib. It think it gives the pen a nice ambience and could just imagine using these pens to write in Paperblanks Grolier Ornamentali.

2343.jpg
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

That would be a great one to use, is the paper good for fountain pens, I can get those journals here and have always liked the looks of them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    The copper colour metal work looks good especially the nib. It think it gives the pen a nice ambience and could just imagine using these pens to write in Paperblanks Grolier Ornamentali.

2343.jpg

Hello--do you have any problems with your Grolier notebook paper? As in, bleedthrough & feathering issues? I can't use both sides of the paper with any nib but an extra fine, and even then there's a bit of ghosting here and there. Surprising. I love the notebook but it's not FP friendly and that's sad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Ianmedium, like most other journals and notebooks it depends on the ink, nib and how you write (how much pressure you use, speed & if you rest or pause your pen on the paper between strokes).

Carole, I've experienced some bleedthrough or ghosting with some inks in various PaperBlanks journals but no feathering so far. It isn't much of a problem to me as I usually don't write on the reverse of the page. Rhodia and Clairfontaine are supposed to be really good but some ink and nib combinations with go right through the paper too.

I recall seeing a post on FPN which discussed the paper and it appears they may have improved their paper a couple of years ago. The problem is that you really don't know when the journal was made.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...anks-journals/
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Ianmedium, like most other journals and notebooks it depends on the ink, nib and how you write (how much pressure you use, speed & if you rest or pause your pen on the paper between strokes).

Carole, I've experienced some bleedthrough or ghosting with some inks in various PaperBlanks journals but no feathering so far. It isn't much of a problem to me as I usually don't write on the reverse of the page. Rhodia and Clairfontaine are supposed to be really good but some ink and nib combinations with go right through the paper too.

I recall seeing a post on FPN which discussed the paper and it appears they may have improved their paper a couple of years ago. The problem is that you really don't know when the journal was made.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...anks-journals/
    Thanks muchly, Bogon07, for that FPN link, they're describing my experience exactly. I do love the Grolier and my other Paperblanks, and if they're one-side-only pages, so be it.

Ianmedium, if you like I could take some quick photos of the Grolier pages that I've written on, to show you what happens. (Imagine the Stipula on the pages of a Grolier Ornamentali --gorgeous. Great call, Bogon07. )

Thanks

Congratulations Ian!! What an exquisite piece of craftsmanship. Thank you for posting this, you may have succeeded in diverting me from Aurora pens. Now I will look closely at Stipula.
    Best regards
    Leo
    A lover of Aurora and Delta Pens!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

It seems they made a new, beautiful and inexpensive version: see here:http://www.coloradopen.com/product/S...Tuscany-Dreams
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    It seems they made a new, beautiful and inexpensive version: see here:http://www.coloradopen.com/product/S...Tuscany-Dreams
    By golly, you're right, FPKid!
    At first I thought that was just the nib price, but no....it's for the whole pen (with Ti nib!).