Thread: Waterman Perspective

Thanks

Default Waterman Perspective

First review
    I got this pen as a birthday present after a lengthy period of staring at four different pens and going on the fact that this one was heavy.

W_Persp_BLK_CT_FP_L.jpg

I like how the pen feels, even though the tiered grip section looks like it may be uncomfortable, itis actually not bad at all. I tend hold the pen on the silver band above the section anyway.

So, in the style of an awesome review:

Dealer prep 7: It has a nice blue box lined with suede-y material, a warranty and a set of instructions. Came with a long international cartridge -- the converter was bought separately. Points off for that I suppose.

Fill 'er up 6: Standard C&C type pen. Not a humongous capacity.

Test drive 8: Absolutely lovely to write with first up. Smooth wet line, the fine nib producing a bold stroke that makes me wonder why anyone would go for a broad...

Under the hood 6: The nib is pretty when looked at as something that's supposed to be pretty, but the engraved details I sometimes find distracting -- I panic and start to think I've scratched it! The lack of a breather is interesting, I have a suspicion it may affect the performance (see below).

Performance: The pen is comfortable and writes well when it wants to -- the feed doesn't stay saturated for long though. No real hard starts or skipping, occasionally an upstroke at the beginning of a word.

Design notes: The tiered grip section is actually surprisingly comfortable, no problem when I do happen to hold it there, though I usually grip above the section. The cap won't really post fully on, as can be seen from the picture, and makes the pen a bit top-heavy for my taste.

Detailing 7: It's a nice looking pen. Not the nicest looking pen. A bit angular for me, but I chose it for the heft. It was comfortably the heaviest pen of the ones I chose from. The engraving on the nib, as I said, is a little distracting.

Road Trip 5: Rather than a 21 minute road trip, I think a three hour exam counts, right?

Now to the main issue: how it writes in the long stretch.

Well...

Beautifully. When it wants to. When the feed is saturated it is an absolute pleasure to use on just about any paper I have tried it on. Cheap printer paper, lined refills, the recycled paper used in the printers at University, Moleskine notebooks. Probably the best pen I have owned (this is my first serious fountain pen, so that isn't saying much).

However, this doesn't last. After a few lines (how many depends, I think, on the type of paper -- I should conduct some tests when I have time), the flow becomes much drier, writing becomes a tiresome effort, a few start-strokes on letters start to skip... really quite unpleasant. Twisting the converter works, which suggests that the feed is drying out, but is not being replenished -- air isn't making its way through the feed into the reservoir. I do wonder if the fact that the nib doesn't have a breathing hole might be partly to blame for this.
    Last edited by snedwos; June 10th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I was just looking at this pen so your review is very timely. Thank you.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

You're welcome! I don't know if the issues are just with my pen or a general problem, though.
    Last edited by snedwos; June 10th, 2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I am too embarrassed to tell what grave grammatical mistake I had made...

Thanks

I am not sure. I have several Waterman pens without the breather hole and they do not suffer any ink starvation. They are actually rather wet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Hi Snedwos, the Waterman Perspective is a very appealling pen, a very clean and classy design. The chrome and black look good together.

Thanks for the detailed and informative review.

Seems ideal for black or very dark blue-black inks.

I wonder if they have 'Paris Waterman' the other way up for left handers ?
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

That is a very elegant fountain pen. I have owned two waterman's in the past, sold one and gave one away.. I must get another and this one looks perfect! Thanks for the excellent review!
    Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock,Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia, Parker Duofold senior special (1927 vintage), Sheaffer imperial 777,Parker 51 special,Stipula Tuscan dreams piston, Stipula Tuscan dreams Ti flex nib,1944 Vac 51.

Thanks

I keep looking at your Waterman Perspective, such a nice pen.

However I didn't realise all the other variations: Black with gold, Blue, White, decorative trim on Blue, Silver and Champagne.

http://www.theonlinepencompany.com/p...FYY3pAodnFwD0A

Interestingly the three decorative pens have perspective lines in the body and cap.

W_Persp_Deco_BL_CT_FP_L.jpg

Thanks

That pen would go good with those Exacompta journal covers from that architect/designer that I cannot remember the name of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    That pen would go good with those Exacompta journal covers from that architect/designer that I cannot remember the name of.
    You mean those damn Frank Lloyd Wright ones that are always out of stock when I try and order them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    You mean those damn Frank Lloyd Wright ones that are always out of stock when I try and order them.
    That's them. I hated that. Have not seen any more come up.

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman Perspective

Just signed up and I am looking at old reviews. I have a Perspective as well. Zero starvation issues but mine is a medium that anywhere else would be called a broad. Reading your review makes me wish that I had picked a fine.

Now, where to get a fine nib unit.........