Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first published attempt at Spencerian

Thanks

Default Re: My first published attempt at Spencerian

All I know about Spencerians is that they were made by Perry, and vintage nib people get very excited about the #14 Artistic and the #2 Counting House Pen. The Gs are well liked by lots of people, to be fair mainly for copperplate but I'm sure they'll turn out to be a good choice.

You should take the following with a pinch of salt since I'm a lousy Spencerian writer, but here goes ...

Increasing your slant will go a long way; officially it's supposed to be 52°, and you can go further than that. Also, it's the straight stems of d, t and p which contribute most to the look of the lower case, otherwise shading is best kept infrequent. Capitals can be very large relative to the lower case (you're better at that than I am); stems have a low shade whilst loops as in A, C and O tend to keep them high. Okay, embarrassment time:

Slant and lower case shades [edit: that angle should be 38° - it's 52° from the baseline. Doh.]
    pdt.jpg

Capital stems:
    capital stems.jpg

A variant H with high and low shades:
    H.jpg

A T with exaggerated slant (nearly 45°):
    T.jpg

And putting it together:
    Spencerian.jpg

Done with a Gillott 170 and walnut ink on Rhodia. It takes me ages to settle down and get rid of the wobbles! I'm going to put something much better in another post.
    Last edited by AndyT; June 23rd, 2014 at 12:18 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Jeph (June 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Here's how it should be done. This is a note from Brian Walker, Master Penman:

BGW1.jpg

Some details. There are a few extra shades in there, on the first stroke of y, the final stroke of m, top of g and so forth, but they're very light:

BGW2.jpg

And how to write "Spencerian"!

BGW3.jpg

I think this was pretty much dashed off, and yet those hairlines really are like hairs. That, I think, is the devilishly difficult bit - getting the lightness of touch combined with the speed, the shades are less important really.

There are a couple of very fine Spencerian writers who are members here - Schin and Caliken, plus Brian Smith (musinkman) but he'll deny it. None of them are frequent visitors, but maybe one will chip in.
    Last edited by AndyT; June 23rd, 2014 at 06:22 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (June 25th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks, Andy. I really appreciate your input. I have recently discovered Schin's YouTube channel and blog, and I have read Caliken's posts since I discovered him over at FPN a couple of years ago. It's incredible that a human hand can write like that!

I have a special package coming in the mail from Brian (Musinkman) this week.

I have also spent some more time on the IAMPETH site and have come to a few conclusions. For one thing, my nib is wearing out, which was making it more difficult to write well. Secondly, I am abandoning the French ruled paper I was using. It may have helped me with practicing my Business hand, but it is not good for my Spencerian.

Finally, I was moving too quickly through the book. I am going back to practicing the Principles until my slant is more natural and my movements are more fluid. The more I study this script, the more I love it. It is worth it to me to put in the study to do it well.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure that Ken is human, as a matter of fact. There's definitely some super powers going on anyway.

I hope you're going to post pictures when Brian's parcel arrives! Here's mine (again):

02.jpg

Thanks

Elegant, Andy! What is the wood in that grip section?

Thanks

Thanks! The grip is olivewood burl (or burr, as it's known here) and the tail is redheart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (June 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

I finally achieved a graceful compound curve, with good slant, using whole arm movement. There were three good ones, but the best example is the final one on the middle line. I'm celebrating small victories!

McCaffery's ink, Hunt school nib, Speedball oblique holder

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

AndyT (June 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Default My first published attempt at Spencerian

Here are pictures of my parcel from Brian Smith of Unique Obliques (Musinkman here and at FPN.) These are photos from his Etsy site because the available lighting right now won't do the pens justice.

I'm a sucker for black and cream or ivory anyway, and I couldn't resist the detail on that "Armadillo" tail.

I ended up ordering two pens because I knew I would regret passing up either one of these. In this second set, it was the interlocking pieces in the grip that pulled me in. That takes skill.

Brian has a stellar reputation everywhere I looked, so I knew I could buy with confidence. I was right. The balance of these pens is so perfect they just nestle into position, and you want to write something.
    Last edited by tiffanyhenschel; June 25th, 2014 at 08:56 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

AndyT (June 26th, 2014), Crazyorange (June 30th, 2014), earthdawn (June 25th, 2014)

Thanks

That's a very interesting pair of holders Tiffany, and since Brian isn't in the habit of repeating himself they'll be uniquely yours. You definitely went to the right man ... beware of imitators. (If that sounds like a remark with a subtext, it is: check Brian's Instagram for details).

Nice compound curves: well done!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    This is a note from Brian Walker, Master Penman:
    I always treasure Brian's correspondence including the envelopes.

Thanks

I got another one yesterday, out of the blue - a real day maker. Are you a member of the SSG?

Thanks

I got another one yesterday, out of the blue - a real day maker. Are you a member of the SSG?
    Hi Andy,

Yes I am not that I have done much of Spencerian, I only worked on Copperplate so far.

When I stop buying fp's (at least at the rate I am now) I want to buy a oblique nibholder like the ones shown above. Unfortunately by the time Customs and Royal Mail admin fees finish with it could be around £100.

Kind regards,

Rui

Thanks

I'm probably the most recent newcomer, Rui. Engrosser's / Engraver's script is well within the group's sphere of interest, isn't it?

On the other matter, have a chat with Brian: my holder didn't attract any fees. £100 isn't so bad as a one off expense, bearing in mind that you can get no better - but I doubt it would come to that. Nibs can be a significant expense though. Ridiculous as it may sound I've saved about 60% by importing Principals from a supplier on the continent - how that works when they're made here I have no idea.

Thanks

Default Re: Share Your Progress in Spencerian

Here are some of today's scribbles. I'm still beginning my shades too high on the capitals, but the control is better. Zebra G nib, McCaffery's Red Violet ink

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

AndyT (June 29th, 2014), earthdawn (June 29th, 2014), Tracy Lee (June 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Nice spirals! And the tails on your "y"s are very well shaped. Really attractive writing all round, put me down as impressed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (June 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks, Andy. Those spirals just started coming together today after some exercises to loosen my arm.

I think this "y" flows better than a looped "y" for me.

Thanks

So far as I know those open tails are a purely ornamental (as opposed to Spencerian) form, but they're definitely an enhancement provided they don't get tangled up with the line below ... mine often wind up doubling as caps for "t"s if I've got my wits about me. The looped form does come in handy when line spacing is tight though and for double "gg"s. Incidentally, it might help to think of a "y" as an upside down "h".

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (June 30th, 2014)

Thanks

I'm probably the most recent newcomer, Rui. Engrosser's / Engraver's script is well within the group's sphere of interest, isn't it?

On the other matter, have a chat with Brian: my holder didn't attract any fees. £100 isn't so bad as a one off expense, bearing in mind that you can get no better - but I doubt it would come to that. Nibs can be a significant expense though. Ridiculous as it may sound I've saved about 60% by importing Principals from a supplier on the continent - how that works when they're made here I have no idea.
    Yes, I am sure they are. IAMPETH has enough examples of those scripts too.

At this moment I am starting to add simple flourishes to some of the Capitalised Copperplate letters.

Unfortunately time is against me specially since I started with vintage fountain pens restoration.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyhenschel View Post
    Here are some of today's scribbles. I'm still beginning my shades too high on the capitals, but the control is better. Zebra G nib, McCaffery's Red Violet ink
    Those are beautiful flourishes Tiffany. Congratulations, you are going from strength to strength.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (June 30th, 2014)

Thanks

I haven't posted anything for a while, but I have still been working on my script. After getting some expert advice, I am studying the letter forms using a pencil. It is going back to the very beginning, but I can already tell it is making a difference.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

Mortiana27 (July 13th, 2014), Tracy Lee (July 13th, 2014), VertOlive (July 14th, 2014)