Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four Eyedropper Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: Four Eyedropper Pens

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyhenschel View Post
    Temperature and air pressure are issues, but the quality of the feed is a big factor. I have never, ever had one of my Edison pens burp ink in three years of extensive use, no matter the ink level.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a Recife Crystal eyedropper, bought way back when Levenger offered them. It has never blurped, and I don't even fill it full to begin with.

In fact I bought the Airmail because it visually resembled the Recife. But it doesn't work the same.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (June 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyhenschel View Post
    Temperature and air pressure are issues, but the quality of the feed is a big factor. I have never, ever had one of my Edison pens burp ink in three years of extensive use, no matter the ink level.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^ +++1000

I own a Ratnamson 302 eye dropper filler and a Serwex similar to the ones you have posted here. Once the ink level drops below a certain level in both pens, they start to 'burp' ink. Now the Ratnamson only does this once the ink is below 25% capacity and I've learned to accept, that instead of an ink window, this is how I know the pen needs to be filled. The Serwex is a whole other problem. It's a piston filler and once the level drops below 50% it starts to do this. I've stopped using it for this reason. I also have a Serwex MB which I really liked that didn't have this problem.

Lesson learned about Indian pens: The cheapies (<$20) are not worth the money given Chinese pens in that same price range that do not have these issues. The Ratnamson was about $40 and the Serwex MB about $20 and both are great writers for the money with quirks that are expected with a pen under $50.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I have lots of this one ink, so I'll give them a complete fill and see what's what.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

For me, few of the - by now, many - Indian eyedroppers ever burp, be they expensives or cheapies. Most of them write until the barrel is empty. Some will have increased flow at the end of a fill. I think the lesson here might be slightly adjusted: in a tropical climate where these pens are mostly used, the technology is perfectly adequate. In a more temperate climate, you may be confronted with burping pens when the volume of ink in the barrel is reduced to 30% or less, and this will probably also depend on the heat conducting characteristics of the barrel material. It would be interesting to hear from people living in India and using these pens in a setting where climate control lowers the temperature in which the pen is used - do you see burping at the end of a fill?
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    I like the line "burped some ink" I recently bought an extremely old Swan 1500 eye-dropper. I thought it would be a good idea to clean it out, which I did. Now it is better called an eye-gusher! Funny though: after the initial flood, it writes beautifully. A bit of a grrrrr situation!

Do keep us informed if you find a solution to the er, dyspepsia!

Best wishes

Cob
    When a pen does it, it called "blurping".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 30th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Oh! Well I was following the others here - I had never before heard the word in this connexion. I always called it "flooding" but I like the sheer physicality of burping!

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Oh! Well I was following the others here - I had never before heard the word in this connexion. I always called it "flooding" but I like the sheer physicality of burping!

Cob
    It is a combination of blotting and burping.

Thanks

They have been quite well behaved now that they've been filled all the way. I've been putting them through their paces catching up on my correspondence. They're all fine writers; I do think there's a trick to mastering the bent nib Serwex--still experimenting with that one!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (July 18th, 2014)

Thanks

[Obviously, I have some things to learn about using these. The Reynolds leaks from the nib--is this because it was not totally full of ink?]

My experience is that my eyedropper pens work best when a fill them a particular way: I fill the barrel with ink. Then, I screw in the section half way with the nib facing upward. Last, I flip the pen so now the nib is facing downward and screw in the section the rest of the way.

When I do this, I hardly ever get large ink leaks from pressure in the barrel.

Hope that helps!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to davefeldman For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (August 12th, 2014)

Thanks

I bought a Gama eyedropper with a nib at each end from a forum member, for the novelty of the double tip. One end burped several puddles and then settled down to write like a medium nib. The other end started hard and writes like a fine point. They're both marked as "five".

I'm guessing this is a feed difference?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Cob (August 13th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Recently I bought a Swan No2 safety pen; this is an eyedropper with a conventional ladder feed plus a metal additional feed on top of the nib. It has worked perfectly since I got it three weeks ago. 90-year-old technology is the answer!

1s.jpg

Cob

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

00Photo (August 13th, 2014)