Thread: A lesson that bears repeating...

Thanks

Default A lesson that bears repeating...

Dear FPGeeks,

I know that I posted a quick story on the ever growing "What is your latest pen acquisition?" thread. However, I wanted to post this reminder in the general pen forum so everyone would benefit from this sage advice that I learned today. Forgive my redundancy but unlike the previous post that focused upon the pen; this post focuses upon the moral.

Yesterday, a long time friend of mine stopped by to show me his latest pen acquisitions. He knows I'm a little deeper down this rabbit hole then he, so he wanted me to examine them, clean them, and repair them, if necessary. I'm not a professional pen repairman but I've changed an ink sac or two, polished a couple pens and have done some minor nib adjustments. One stood out that I had never used myself. In fact, I posted pictures here to see which model it was. It turned out to be a wonderful Waterman 32. After some cleaning, I inked it up and it wrote like a dream. I loved the flex and determined to put it on my growing wish list.

Today, I decided to head out early from the office and take a look at the local antique shoppes to see if, perhaps, I too could be as lucky as he was. I went to the first store which proved to be barren of any pens whatsoever. After speaking with the owner, she made a phone call to another antique shoppe owner down the street to see if he could open up his store for me to take a look around. He agreed to meet me there.

I went to the second shoppe and looked around a bit before asking him if he had any fountain pens. He said that he had a box in the attic and promptly when to fetch it. I waited for about 10 minutes before he returned holding only one pen in his hand. He explained that he couldn't find the box but would keep up the search and contact me when he locates it. He handed me the pen and said that was all he could find for the moment.

Now, I must admit that I'm not a Parker collector but as soon as I had this pen in my hands I knew a lot of attention and detail went into it. It felt like my Visconti Opera Elements. It wasn't heavy but perfectly balanced. I inspected the nib that had 18K in the bottom left corner. I knew big pen makers like Parker don't put an 18K nib on pens that aren't their flagship or at least their top tier. The top of the cap said Duofold. The pen was in perfect condition. Afraid to hear the answer, I asked him how much he wanted for the pen. He looked at the pen then looked at me and said, "How's about $30.00? That will keep some meat on the bone for me." I looked at him, looked at the pen and said in a calm but trembling voice, "I'll take it."

My research leads me to believe the pen was made in early 90's and I must say it is one of the most beautiful pens in my collection. The pictures below do not do it justice. The nib writes like a dream although with much less flex then I would have first imagined. I'm still not sure if it's a centennial or an international. At $30, what's the difference? Yet this is not a review, but a moral.

The moral is: don't underestimate the brick and mortar stores, especially consignment and antique shoppes. If you're in the area and have some time, stop in at your local antique stores and simply ask, "Do you have any fountain pens?" With a little bit of luck, you could walk out of the store with an absolute beauty at a unbelievable price. Happy hunting.

-HeresyHammer

20140623_211130.jpg
    20140623_211147.jpg
    20140623_211200.jpg

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to HeresyHammer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

00Photo (June 24th, 2014), bc.hiker (June 28th, 2014), Bogon07 (June 24th, 2014), Cob (June 24th, 2014), Fawkes (June 24th, 2014), gwgtaylor (June 24th, 2014), orfew (June 24th, 2014), Polyhistor (June 24th, 2014), Replete (June 24th, 2014), rgperedo (June 26th, 2014), RuiFromUK (June 24th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (June 24th, 2014), Tsuki yo (July 15th, 2014), VertOlive (July 9th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

Default Re: A lesson that bears repeating...

Usually the ones around here have horribly preserved Esterbrooks with bent nibs and hardened sacs for $150. HAHAHAHAHA Some people.

Nice catch!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Wow...I've seen that particular Duofold finish. It's purdy.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    Usually the ones around here have horribly preserved Esterbrooks with bent nibs and hardened sacs for $150. HAHAHAHAHA Some people.

Nice catch!
    I know 00Photo, I've seen that too at some places. I take the opportunity to gently correct their error. I always remind them that they can sell anything in their store at what ever price they want. However, if they want it to move, it needs to be reasonable. Then I explain to them what the pen would really be worth. If they still won't budge, I offer to sell my fully restored and functioning black Esterbrook J to them for the low, low price of $250.00. And because I'm a good guy, I throw in an extra Esterbrook 2668 nib with box. Ain't I a stinker!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HeresyHammer For This Useful Post:

Cob (June 24th, 2014)

Thanks

OMG, you are SO right about the moral. I used to read threads like that and think meh, whatever - I figured this kind of story was to FP appreciation what photos with enormous fish are to recreational fishing. My experience was what 00Photo describes, pretty much to a T.

Eh, maybe it was true, but only in countries with larger populations and a longer history of industrialization and consumption so enough people get rid of their old stuff. But even there, not even in large cities, just anywhere big enough to have had a lot of pen sales in the past, but not so big that all the collectors flock there and so the shopkeepers have wised up to it and set high prices.

Whatever, I figured it CERTAINLY couldn't ever happen where I am, where FPs were only popular for a brief period of time, and where now they are associated pretty much exclusively with wealth and ostentation.

And then I found a mini Delta Dolcevita for 17 euros (~$23) at a stall in an outdoor market. In almost perfect condition.

oookay then! Now I'm a believer :P

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plume145 For This Useful Post:

00Photo (July 9th, 2014), Bogon07 (July 9th, 2014), VertOlive (July 9th, 2014)

Thanks

Great story and nice find.

Thanks

$30 for a Duofold....can't keep my mouth shut

11. The Following User Says Thank You to john For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (July 9th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

It was a good story the first time and after I'd read it I did begin asking shop owners. No luck yet, but hope springs eternal.

Did he ever find the box, I'm wanting to know?
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Why didn't you counter and offer $20!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    It was a good story the first time and after I'd read it I did begin asking shop owners. No luck yet, but hope springs eternal.

Did he ever find the box, I'm wanting to know?
    I called him up, but he said he hadn't found it yet. I'm pretty sure he might have forgotten. I'll keep reminding him. Who knows what treasures that cigar box may hold. Then again, it may hold nothing at all. Isn't our hobby exciting?!
    "Hominem unius libri timeo." - Saint Thomas Aquinas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    Why didn't you counter and offer $20!!!!!
    I didn't want to press my luck. When Lady Fortune smiles upon you it's best to simply accept her graciousness. She can be ruthless if you get on her bad side.
    "Hominem unius libri timeo." - Saint Thomas Aquinas

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HeresyHammer For This Useful Post:

Tsuki yo (July 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Very good story and moral. I have recently started trolling the local shops for any pens but have yet to ask the owner, most of the shops in my area are consolidators with many sellers renting space in their shop to sell products.

Fountain Pen Day - November 6th, 2015
    Broken Arrow, OK

Thanks

My husband snagged an excellent Sheaffer touchdown in a similar fashion. We don't have a local pen shop, the nearest one is an hour and a half drive away and in a city that's terrible to drive in. So we do a lot of flea market fishing. Our area is rather depressed though, I think the late 90's, early 2000's would have seen a glut of pens in the second hand shops, as everyone in the local manufacturing was laid off around then, so it's when most valuables would have been sold or traded away. And the economy hasn't really recovered here, so no one's buying any good pens to later sell at garage sales or flea markets.

Thanks

My issue is I spend hours scouring multiple shops, opening every door, and drawer in the joint. After weeks of shopping I find one, in my hysteria I buy it for $15 and it's a Sheaffer Pen and Pencil set that, according to all the sites I've checked doesn't exist. Or in the case of a Sheaffer Desk Pen, is corroded on the inside.