Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aurora Ipsilon-Italic Nib- I am returning it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Aurora Ipsilon-Italic Nib- I am returning it.

I had eluded to this pen in some posts. It is the second Italian pen I own that has some issue with it. It is a shame really. It has a big italic nib roughly 2 mm but I have no sizing from Aurora as it is listed simply as an italic nib. I purchased it back on the 30th of April. It arrived around the 5th or 6th of May IIRC. I was really excited to try out my first Aurora but when I inked it with Waterman Florida Blue, it worked for a bit with paint brush-like strokes, then it stopped. Ink flow was intermittent after that. I found the problem quickly. A text book example of "baby's bottom". I could see the ink between the tines and it flowed very freely but that little curvature in the inner wall of the tines just kept the ink from touching the page.

I could fix this very easily but I was not going to risk voiding my warranty. I have a full Aurora warranty and I wanted somebody to make good on it. I went through the retailer and I was assured I would have a new nib. Apparently the nib is on back order now and it it wont get here before my return privilages expire with the retailer. I just decided to exchange the pen for a Pelikan M200 Tradition with a B nib.

I am disapointed with Aurora. I know it is one pen and there can be pens with issues that get through the cracks. I do think that baby's bottom should have been caught at the manufacturer. It is readily apparent under magnification. In the end, the retailer (ipenstore.com) is making it right and I appreciate that.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Sad indeed, Ivan

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

FP_GaF

I own three Auroras, a Talentum I got at half price new, an Ipsilon Deluxe I bought used (also half price) off eBay and a used Aurora 98 (also an eBay find). All three are very dear to me. Fabulous writers, no issues, silky smooth. Awesome nibbage, as Stephen Brown would say, on all of them. I think you just got unlucky with this one. I would give the brand a second chance. I love them, maybe because I really got lucky.

So, maybe you have to suffer to compensate for my joy... Sorry mate!

Thanks

I am sure the brand shines when a good pen is had. I may try another but it will be a while.

Thanks

I think you made the right choice to return it.
    I don't understand why the manufacturer did not have another nib ready for you. Worse, I don't understand why the manufacturer would force you to wait until after the return period has expired. That sends out nasty red flag warnings. Good customer support is hard to find these days.
    Good for you getting yourself a Pelikan before the price hike. I hope you enjoy it!
    Kudos to ipenstore.com for working with you!

FP_GaF

I understand your disappointment very well and I guess if I had your bad experience I would also think twice about trying a second time. Why would you with so many choices available.

The first impression is so important. It can ruin a good thing forever. And yet customer service is so often the weak point in many companies nowadays; just as melissa59 says, it is really hard to get good customer service these days.

I hope that someday you will try this brand again. But there are so many really awesome fountain pens to discover. The Pelikan M200 is a wonderful pen, too. Enjoy!

Cheers
    Last edited by FP_GaF; June 11th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Since I was dealing with ipenstore.com directly, I can't know for sure what Aurora was saying but I was told it was that the italic nib was back ordered. To this point I was dealing solely through email. When I called this morning, "Jim" did not understand why they did not just give me one from their stock. At this point this was the first time I was dealing with Jim. He was nice and apologized for the mixup and I asked if I could exchange it. He said that was fine but they needed to check if they could get the B nib for me soon because they were out. He called back but I missed the call. The Pelikan with a B nib should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks

I had a similar situation with my Ipsilon. I bought it second hand (NOS), and I found a gigantic baby bottom when I inked it. Because I hadn't bought the pen directly, I sent it off to Tyler Dahl. I enjoy it a lot now. The only saving grace is that I still came out slight ahead of buying it new in a store.

Thanks

If I would have purchased the pen second hand I would have taken care of it myself. The fact that you also had trouble makes me think twice about Aurora. I am not totally abandoning the brand but I am left with a sour taste in my mouth that is discouraging. I may go second hand instead.

Thanks

I understand your feelings. I was really angry when it happened to me. I also think returning it is the right thing to do since Aurora should really be forced to deal with it. I think every manufacturer should have a QC check where they write with the pen. That being said, it seems like most of the big brands have their quality problems, except maybe Platinum, Sailor, and possible Pilot. At some point, I want to get a Talentum with the stock italic nib. If that has problems, then no more pens from Aurora.

Thanks

I am happy with the way ipenstore.com is taking care of the situation and I will buy from them again.

Thanks

That's too bad, Ivan, but I appreciate you letting us know about (a.) the problem and (b.) the nib width. I never would have guessed that their factory italic was so wide

Thanks

I have been meaning to post pictures because of the nib but I did not since I had the on-going issue. I have the pictures already just have to upload them. Maybe tonight.

Thanks

I bought an Aurora Ipsilon with an italic nib once and promptly returned it. Not only did it look funny, it didn't write quite right. So instead I bought one from Richard Binder and had him grind it to a CI for me. It's my best writer. Gotta love Richard Binder's grind.

Thanks

Well, I have a happy ending to this story. Ipenstore.com allowed me to exchange the pen since the italic replacement was taking so long. I steered clear of Aurora for now. I replaced it with a Pelikan Tradition M200. Jim and Ryan worked with me and sent me the Pelikan and even sent me a postage paid box to send the Aurora back to them. I think they went above and beyond and I truly appreciate it. There eBay name is streetfair.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; June 27th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Well, I have a happy ending to this story. Ipenstore.com allowed me to exchange the pen since the italic replacement was taking so long. I steered clear of Aurora for now. I replaced it with a Pelikan Tradition M200. Jim and Ryan worked with me and sent me the Pelikan and even sent me a postage paid box to send the Aurora back to them. I think they went above and beyond and I truly appreciate it. There eBay name is streetfair.
    Sorry to be so late on the uptake here. I thought it was interesting that you got your M200 from ipenstore/streetfair. My M200 (which is on the way - delivery scheduled for 2/7!) is coming from ipenstore too. I second your recommendation of them. They are a great no nonsense ebay seller. I've bought from them before and always had a good experience. By the way, have you noticed how few US seller's there are of the Pelikan M200 on ebay?

It's also interesting because one of the other pens I was considering was an Ipsilon. I've generally heard good things about the Ipsilon and was surprised to hear about your issues. Makes me hesitant about the brand - Although Stephen Brown's review of the pen is very positive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AbBYYBQe5A

Thanks

Yes, I do feel that my issues stemmed from the nib I chose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Yes, I do feel that my issues stemmed from the nib I chose.
    I don't know. I have an Ipsilon with a M nib, and it has the same problems you describe.

Thanks

Alright-y then.

Thanks

Default Re: Aurora Ipsilon-Italic Nib- I am returning it.

I own an Ipsilon too, although there is not any issue of my Ipsilon. I am not satisfying of the 14k nib. The size is too small and very hard.