Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aurora Ipsilon-Italic Nib- I am returning it.

Thanks

Default Re: Aurora Ipsilon-Italic Nib- I am returning it.

Well, I'm about 4 years late joining this conversation, but I've just had the same experience as KrazyIvan. Bought the Ipsilon with the Italic nib, and the pen absolutely would not write. The nib was horrible, misalligned tines and unbelievably scratchy. I'm not an Italic newb, here, and I like mine extra-crispy, but that wasn't the issue here.It was almost as if they did the rough forming of the nib but never got around to the fine-finishing. It didn't fit the feed well at all, and so the ink-flow couldn't be maintained. The thing would just stop as if it was bone-dry every couple of words. Even dipped it wouldn't work.
    Like you, I got it from Ipenstore, and like you, I worked with Jim and he quickly made it right. Really good store to deal with, and I'll deal with them again anytime, but I'll never buy another Aurora from anyone. There are just too many good pens out there. Too bad, I wanted to collect Ipsilons in several colors, and had the new Aurora Style in matte blue with rose gold as the next pen on my list. Not anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

It's very sad when a pen doesn't write out of the box, and the buyer is disappointed because of a simple fault that should have been picked up by the manufacturer. I once asked Aurora if they had a nib exchange scheme, before I bought an Optima with a F nib. They said yes they did: I would need to buy a new nib, and they would quote me the price on receipt of my pen. When I asked if I would keep the original nib if I paid for another one, their replies abruptly stopped. That put them into a category of 'poor Customer Service' for me. Oh and that was the CEO by the way!

I'm pleased that you have settled on another pen that you're happy with.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 30th, 2017 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks

I have two, a fine and a stub, both amazing. Such a shame you got a lemon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

This experience turned me on to Pelikan. It was not a bad thing. I gave Aurora a second chance and got the Duocart. It is a very smooth, wet writer. Not sure if I would get another italic though.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I'm retracting my previous declaration that I wouldn't be getting another Aurora. As I mentioned in my first post, Ipenstore sent me a replacement for my original Italic nib. I don't know if there are problems with their Ipsilon Italics overall, or if I just got a dud, but I asked that the replacement nib be a Broad, rather than another (risky) Italic. The Broad is wonderful! Straight out of the box it went right to the top of my daily-writers list, tied for first place with a few other much more expensive pens! It writes more like a generous Medium, IMHO, and it has no sweet-spot, just writes beautifully any way you ask it to. I like it so much, when an Ipsilon Deluxe with a Medium 14K nib came up on Ebay I pounced, and it immediately took it's place at the top of my favorites-list with the Broad Ipsilon. Now I'm eyeing another one. So... I've gone from Anti-Aurora to Aurora-Addict. Don't write off the brand due to one bad experience, I guess is the moral of the story.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whitebird For This Useful Post:

BillPorter (April 22nd, 2018), KrazyIvan (April 17th, 2018)

Thanks

And this all started...from something that could have been quickly administered to by a pen dealer -- assuming you go to an actual pen store to make your purchases. A company that for a century has manufactured pens with a peerless reputation for beauty, craftsmanship, and utility, is trashed because one customer (or even two or three) had a slightly off nib.

I have nine Auroras, all bought from professional pen dealers whom I've gotten to know over decades, any one of whom has quickly repaired any nib issues I may have had (with other brands -- never with Aurora, whose reliability is legendary.)

Aurora, BTW, makes genuine italic nibs, not 'stub' nibs. My guess is that newcomers to the brand haven't any idea how to hold or use such nibs.
    A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penstaking View Post
    And this all started...from something that could have been quickly administered to by a pen dealer -- assuming you go to an actual pen store to make your purchases. A company that for a century has manufactured pens with a peerless reputation for beauty, craftsmanship, and utility, is trashed because one customer (or even two or three) had a slightly off nib.

I have nine Auroras, all bought from professional pen dealers whom I've gotten to know over decades, any one of whom has quickly repaired any nib issues I may have had (with other brands -- never with Aurora, whose reliability is legendary.)

Aurora, BTW, makes genuine italic nibs, not 'stub' nibs. My guess is that newcomers to the brand haven't any idea how to hold or use such nibs.
    I assure you I have plenty of italics and know how to use them along with architect nibs. The dealer offered to replace the pen, and I decided to go with something else. I could have repaired it myself but did not want to bother with it at the time. I got to try another brand I had not examined before, and I ended up with another Aurora that will remain in my collection. I do recommend that if one does not know how to adjust or grind nibs that one learns that valuable skill. One will never have to return a pen for not writing the way one prefers, ever again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I do recommend that if one does not know how to adjust or grind nibs that one learns that valuable skill. One will never have to return a pen for not writing the way one prefers, ever again.
    Or just buy from a retailer who includes that service at no additional charge

My experience with Aurora's italic is that it is very sharp and not forgiving. To my knowledge, no one else makes an italic like this. Some work perfectly out of the box, others require a lot of work and for that reason I don't generally stock it, but will order it on request. My recommendation is to go with the BB instead of the italic. It's the same width, offers nearly the same line variation, and is so much smoother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Arrow Re: Aurora Ipsilon-Italic Nib- I am returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I do recommend that if one does not know how to adjust or grind nibs that one learns that valuable skill. One will never have to return a pen for not writing the way one prefers, ever again.
    Or just buy from a retailer who includes that service at no additional charge

My experience with Aurora's italic is that it is very sharp and not forgiving. To my knowledge, no one else makes an italic like this. Some work perfectly out of the box, others require a lot of work and for that reason I don't generally stock it, but will order it on request. My recommendation is to go with the BB instead of the italic. It's the same width, offers nearly the same line variation, and is so much smoother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well played Mr. Smith.

That is true. Getting the pen looked at beforehand is an option. Not everyone offers that service and you certainly fill a niche that needs to be filled. I still have a Visconti HS that needs your services but I keep putting it off. While I will mess with nibs on pens $200 or less, that pen is worth twice that and I can accept I have my own limitations and fears of irreperably damaging a pen in that price range.

Let me also post about the frame of mind I was in when I bought this pen. The original post is from 2012 so forgive me if I get some details wrong, I'm going from memory. When I received the pen, I was disappointed. I could see that the ink was flowing to the tip of the tines but the severe baby's bottom made it impossible for the ink to reach the page without pushing down on the nib. I had spent just over $100 USD on a pen and was angry because it did not work. I would have had to shave about .5 mm (IIRC) off the nib to get it to write. I could tell it was going to flow pretty wet. At that time, the sentiment on this very board was spending that amount of money on a pen only to have it not write was a crime. The only way to get the attention of manufacturers was to send the pen back. So I did. That's pretty much it. I have a Duocart now. It is a very nice writer and I would give the Ipsilon another chance if I had the cash to spare but that is not possible now. I have not written off the brand and much admire pens in the Aurora line. It's just going to be some time before I can enter that market again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

BillPorter (April 22nd, 2018)