Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the proper way to hold a Pelikan?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: What is the proper way to hold a Pelikan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Richard Binder adjusted my pen Friday morning. The first thing he said is "You can drive a MAC truck through these tines." He then told me there are three possible directions a nib can be out of whack. Mine was out in two directions. After he worked on it he had me test it. He informed me that I "white knuckle" the pen. He told me he should be able to easily snatch it from my hand while I'm writing. It is an expensive pen. I don't want to drop it or get it stolen by roving nibmeisters.

The pen writes fine now, but I'm not sure if I like it. A medium is so incredibly broad. I don't think I will be able to use it for much more than signing Christmas cards and possibly writing place cards, but I normally use a Parallel for place cards.
    Listen to Mr. Binder.

The worst thing you can do to a fountain pen is to white knuckle it, eventually that much pressure *will* cause issues with the nib. No one is going to snatch it out of your hand, and you won't drop it if you are holding it properly. I have at least one pen quite a bit more expensive than an M1000 and hte last thing I'd want to do is hold it too tight. First because you will be miserable writing for very long (sore fingers/hand!) and second because it isn't good for the pen.

Good news: Pelikan nibs can be swapped out, and all nibs can be ground finer. So consider buying a finder nib and save the medium for signing Christmas cards.

Cradle that bird like... well a baby bird. I changed from a white knuckle grip to one that gets compliments from flex experts in a couple months pretty simply. First I'd start by making sure I had a proper grip (light, pen resting lightly against webbing of my thumb, nib laying on paper with zero pressure). Then I'd start writing. As my hand started tightening up I was really concious of taking a deep breath in, and as I let it out relaxing my hand again. Sometimes it was every word I had to do that. As I relaxed my hand my arm began to do more of the work of writing (never, ever writing without your arm supported by a table or writing desk), and as that happened my hand didn't get tired and start gripping so tightly. Pretty soon I had a nice relaxed grip, was writing with my whole arm more than my fingers and could use even a nice old vintage wet noodle.

Treat it like meditation practice!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Art (August 11th, 2014), Jeph (August 11th, 2014), LagNut (August 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Tandainia,

That is beautiful. One of the better posts in this vein.

Ian (all)
    On the nibs, I've had really good luck with missing-pen on eBay, and with Mr. Binder. He made an xxf that is now in the clutches (but loose clutches, I'm sure) of my middle daughter.

Having a well tuned nib helps in being loose, as the pen writes by itself, without any pressure.

Good luck in this. Having writing instruments that are a joy to use makes writing much easier, which for me is invaluable.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Thanks

I always always always have to remidnd myself not to grip too tightly, and yes to use more of my arm when writing. It is good for mindfulness and good for not getting repetitive stress injuries. The more I remember, the slower I go, and the better my handwriting looks, which for me is saying a lot, since it is virtually illegible at normal speed.
    Some of my older pens like a higher angle than I prefer, but if I am light-handed that helps, too.
    Some letters make me tense, like small cursive r and b, no matter what I do!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Proper way... Hold carefully, they tend to peck if you'll too near.