Thread: Dip pen advice pease.

Thanks

Default Dip pen advice pease.

I have far more inks than i do pens and i would like to try dip pens, but have no clue what to look for or where to get them. I would like the ability to have a flex nib as well other styles. Thanks for the advice.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks

Default Re: Dip pen advice pease.

I've got this set in my Etsy store https://www.etsy.com/listing/1704297...home_active_24
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

Would a set like this work as I can get it locally.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks

I was actual experimenting with mine this morning and it was a reminder why I have barely used it. I had 4 inks arrive however already had enough pens filled so it made more sense to use the dip pen so I didn't waste ink. Essentially the problem with them is you can barely get much more then a few words out of it without having to redip the pen. Also the volume of ink they put down in one flex can be a lot and make a mess. By all means buy one as a useful way of trying ink however I think of them as a normality. My one works ok but I can't find it on line however I think it is similar to to the speed ball one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    Would a set like this work as I can get it locally.
    No reason why not, though fountain pen ink can disappoint with dip pens. Highly saturated or iron gall types generally behave reasonably well, sometimes very well indeed. To stand a chance of getting decent results you must remove whatever gunk the manufacturer uses to prevent rust. Someone's bound to tell you to pass it through a flame, which is just about okay for broad nibs at a pinch but an excellent way to ruin a pointed one. Using warm soapy water, alcohol, Windex or just sucking it are better strategies. Actually, saliva is good, seriously - it helps the ink to adhere to the steel.

That set includes a couple of crow quills, which are without doubt the most contrary, awkward and maddening pens on the market. Avoid those to start out with if you value your sanity. That big bowl shaped one on the right is probably going to be the easiest to get on with, and ought to hold a fair bit of ink if it's properly prepared.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Actually, saliva is good, seriously - it helps the ink to adhere to the steel.
    Absolutely

Thanks

I have a couple of holders and a growing selection of nibs, though I wouldnt recommend them for every day writing. As previously mentioned you don't get too many words per dip. I've been doing an online calligraphy course and the flex nibs are so much fun. You can either get a set like the photo above or buy the holder and nibs separately, the price is probably similar. I'm a big fan of the Brause 66EF nib, very fine hairlines and lots of flex!
    Does have the added problem of me now wanting a proper flex nib FP so I can practice on the go!
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    I have a couple of holders and a growing selection of nibs, though I wouldnt recommend them for every day writing. As previously mentioned you don't get too many words per dip. I've been doing an online calligraphy course and the flex nibs are so much fun. You can either get a set like the photo above or buy the holder and nibs separately, the price is probably similar. I'm a big fan of the Brause 66EF nib, very fine hairlines and lots of flex!
    Does have the added problem of me now wanting a proper flex nib FP so I can practice on the go!
    Hi Holsworth,

Which online calligraphy course are you doing please?

As to the 66EF nib is also my favourite when I practice Copperplate.

Kind regards,

Rui

Thanks

Thanks for the link!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    Hi Holsworth,

Which online calligraphy course are you doing please?

As to the 66EF nib is also my favourite when I practice Copperplate.

Kind regards,

Rui
    Hi Rui, it's http://istilllovecalligraphy.com really enjoying it so far!
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holsworth For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (March 4th, 2015), RuiFromUK (July 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Thank you very much Holsworth. I need to check it at home as it seems the work browser is not compatible with the website.

Thanks

@tarheel
    I would go with jbb's set or the Manuscript one.
    I've done business with Jill and have been very satisfied with what I bought from her.

As for writing with a dip pen. I think of a dip pen, as I would a fountain pen compared to a ball pen. Each pen has a particular characteristic that you like it and use it for. I've fallen in love with dip pens, and enjoy writing with them. Granted they are not as convenient as a fountain pen. But neither is a fountain pen as convenient as a ball pen for general use. You pick the pen to use to enjoy. And yes if you FLEX the nib, it will run out of ink quickly, but...so what. Just dip the nib and keep on going. If I did not want to dip, then I would use a fountain pen.

What I also like is the flex. I can get a 60 cent flex nib for my dip pen, and if I ruin it...it was just 60 cents, and I can easily and cheaply get another one. So it is a very inexpensive way to get into flex writing.

And then look at the oblique dip pen holders. It was something I thought I would not get, but now that I have one, I ENJOY using it. It makes it easier to get flex out of normal writing. In fact I now use my oblique holders more than my straight holders.

Try using your dry or saturated fountain pen inks. If you have trouble, try Higgins Eternal ink. I was told about the Higgins Eternal on FPN, and it is a great beginners and general purpose ink. And it washes up with water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    And then look at the oblique dip pen holders.
    Definitely: they're a revelation for right handers in my experience.