Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twsbi 580 quality?

Thanks

Default Twsbi 580 quality?

So for next months purchase i am contemplating purchasing a twsbi 580 but concerned about the quality. I have heard many horror stories of the other twsbi models cracking. How is the 580? I think i would get a 1.1 as i have a 1.5 ib with my pelikan m805.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Twsbi 580 quality?

I have three TWSBI Pens (Mini, Rose Gold, and now the RB), and I have had no problems whatsoever. I bought them in the last year (the RB just a few weeks ago). Love the Mini.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I have a 540 that was my daily carry for a long time. Not a single problem. From what I've seen a lot of the issues seemed to stem from people repeatedly removing the section and then tightening it back down too much. Don't quote me on that though...

Thanks

580 is a great pen..holds more ink then the m800 and writes very well. The stubs and the broad nib are my favorites.
    Cracking was mostly solved and I haven't had a problem. However, if you do, TWSBI is very good about taking care of any problems. Super fast email replies and service.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I have had my 580 for over a year now it has no signs of any cracks. It stays nice and wet and writes every time.

My mini is the same way... no issues at all.

My 540 however did have the crack issue and continues to have them.

Alas it seems to me at least that the 580 has things done right.
    Last edited by earthdawn; June 30th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

The cracking issue is solved, but I wonder if it wasn't overblown to begin with. I had one cracking incident on my 540, and that was it. I know a lot of people have owned these pens without incident. I wish there was a way to scientifically measure the incidence of cracking.

Thanks

My 580 has been one of my daily carry pens most every day since I got it. Still no issues with the pen or the original EF nib. But, my 1.5mm nib has the common hard start issues. I have not made any attempt to correct that though. It has been on my list of things to do for a long time but I keep putting it off.

Thanks

My TWSBI 580 has never caused me any problems and I use it almost everyday to mark documents. It has a EF nib.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I guess they fixed the problems which is good.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure..

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ac-700-broken/

There are also many more recent threads mentioning the same problems.

It's also worth saying, each time someone brings up the cracking issues, another person will pop in and say that it only affects a small minority of people. However, I can say I never see any threads about other companies pens ever cracking, and threads about TWSBI pens cracking get posted with amazing regularity on multiple forums and reddit. I wish people would stop being TWSBI apologists and demand a proper fix to the problem so it can be solved once and for all. I love the pens, but I'm staying away until they address the problem.
    Last edited by discopig; July 1st, 2014 at 05:31 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to discopig For This Useful Post:

Mags (July 1st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by discopig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure..

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ac-700-broken/

There are also many more recent threads mentioning the same problems.

It's also worth saying, each time someone brings up the cracking issues, another person will pop in and say that it only affects a small minority of people. However, I can say I never see any threads about other companies pens ever cracking, and threads about TWSBI pens cracking get posted with amazing regularity on multiple forums and reddit. I wish people would stop being TWSBI apologists and demand a proper fix to the problem so it can be solved once and for all. I love the pens, but I'm staying away until they address the problem.
    More for me!! :P
    Trying to save the day for the Old World man
    Trying to pave the way for the Third World man

Thanks

TWSBI is a relatively new company, which originally was not at all geared towards fountain pens. They still seem to be working on the design elements of their pens, and eagerly look to their customers for input on each of their new pens. I can get behind that. When the collar on my Classic cracked they replaced it right away, and at no cost to me. I didn't have to send the pen away to the manufacturer, and the pens can be taken right down to their constituent parts easily with the tool provided, so I had no issues at all with the repair. The pen has remained in use and has not had a problem since, and I learned that I really enjoy the way TWSBI customer support handled my issue.

People can do worse than to acknowledge that there is a learning curve involved with fountain pens that even manufacturers have to climb. It seems like TWSBI pens will only get better with time, and I'm happy to be a customer of theirs while they learn and grow their business.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tsuki yo For This Useful Post:

ChrisC (July 1st, 2014), Don_Quijote (August 25th, 2014), mtnbiker62 (July 1st, 2014), rgperedo (July 1st, 2014)

Thanks

They fix the problem quickly and for free, which is nice. Their communication is also excellent. It's hard to find a better value in the $50 and below range than the pens that TWSBI offers. I know I said it before, but that 580 ink capacity is amazing.

Pelikan could learn some stuff from TWSBI in the piston department. I find it disappointing that Pelikans from M200-M1000 have basically the same ink capacity.

And yes, I know TWSBI basically copied Pelikan's piston design, but it seems to me that they improved on it, increasing the travel and bore so that more ink could be held. (1.75mL to Pelikan's 1.2-1.3ish)
    Last edited by ChrisC; July 1st, 2014 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

My 580 is one of my favorite pens. It writes very well and I never had any issues with it. I have an EF nib and it's nice and smooth, with just enough feedback. I like the 580 so much, I'm probably going to order the new AL. I feel like they're a great value for the money. Like Tsuki Yo, I had an issue with one of my TWSBI pens and it was resolved immediately. For the $50-$70 you spend on a pen you get a great writing instrument with a nice smooth nib, either a piston/vac filler and a company that stands behind their products and corrects their mistakes, if there are any. What more could you ask for? Buy it!

Thanks

I can't speak to the 580, but I do have a Vac700 which has caused me no problems what so ever. I love the design of the Twsbi pens and the fact that they are constantly reinventing themselves. A vacuum filler for under 70 dollars? Really? I have a special place in my heart for companies that listen to their clients and have a love for innovation. My favorite company, Visconti, has a similar ethos; although their innovation comes with a hefty price tag at times.

Don't get me wrong, if you reach perfection, don't mess with it. But on the other hand, don't let the pen you perfected cause you to sit back and stop inventing. We live in a marvelous time and almost anything can brake the mold. Who would have though steel nibs would become as smooth as 14k? Who ever would have thought Palladium was a good material to make a nib? It's true that the journey can be fraught with peril like a plastic that is susceptible to cracking, but if the company stands behind the product, does everything in their power to make the customer happy by replacing broken parts (order even a whole pen) at no cost to the customer, and works to fix the problem, well then, they're on the right track. Sometimes we want immediate changes and often times that is just not possible when manufacturing is involved. Remember it take 12 nautical miles to turn the Queen Mary.

Thanks

I have both the 540 and the 700. Well design pens with great customer service. It took about two years for the 540 to developed the crack. Free part with quick shipping to resolve any problem.
    I hope TWSBI continues to grow and develops into a world class manufacturer. The 580 hasn't been out long enough in my opinion to declare the cracking issue resolve.

Thanks

I have a 540 and the section cracked on the pen. TWSBI replaced it free of charge. However I can not use the pen. When taking it apart to lubricate the piston, I somehow damaged the collar between the resevior and feed (looks like a small transparent o-ring). The pen will not write once the ink in the feed from filling is depleted. I sent the pen back to TWSBI and they adjusted the nib, claiming that solved the problem, but I still could not write with it. So it sits in a box. I need to put it up for sale for parts. Anyway, I have since decided that for capacity, eyedroppers are the way to go and there are lots of options under $50. Easier to clean than a pistion, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I bought the 530, then the 540 and a Micarta. Then I stopped because of all the cracked pen threads popping up. I figured I did not want to push my luck. I still use my 530 and i have it filled right now. I noticed the other day that the cap threads that are covered by the cap band are starting to show some stress cracks. I don't crank down on the cap just for that reason. I stop when I feel a bit of resistance. It's not leaking or drying out so I'm okay. I was gifted a mini and also have that inked. It seems fine. The cracks on the 530 have not deterred me from considering the 580 AL.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

They don't fix it for free anymore. I had to replace the cap on my Vac 700 (the cap ring sheared off, like my 540's did a few months back), and I had to pay for it.

I own 2 TWSBIs, and I bought a mini for my brother, which seems to have no issues, mainly because he doesn't use it at school yet.
    My 540 has had the nib collar and the cap replaced. the section is cracked and now rotates freely, and there is a really nasty, probably fatal crack in the barrel at the piston end, which will almost inevitably leak ink eventually. My vac had to have its cap replaced, as I said.

It really does make me very wary (and weary). It pains me, since they are wonderful pens when in working order.

I'm not sure the "new company finding its feet" argument really cuts it any more. It's been what, 4 or 5 years?
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

That is sad to hear. I think having that free replacement parts from TWSBI is what give the customers the confidence to take the risk.
    I would personally hold off until the the 580 have another trouble free year under it belt.