Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

I have never used a Palamino abomination of the Blackwing 602. I have a solid supply of originals that should be enough to make it to the end. Unfortunately outsiders now need to pay up to sharpen one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks

One of the member asked what I mean by "in the field". For my work it usually refers to plantations, developed or in development. My focus is on what is grown, the quality of the produce, quantity and how accessible it is for transport. Cost negotiation starts with me too. It is what I do.

Same member also wrote some trash about not "speaking like a Texan" in my messages here. Damn, that is a real stupid statement. I ain't college educated, worked my way from loader to my current position, but I am a enthusiastic reader. I reckon the member who made that statement should go after most modern American authors cause few if any wrote in a fashion that could be identified as American in style. Or other US members here who don't write in "American". I reckon the member referred to thinks that all Americans match the stereotypes for each state. As a guy who has lived and worked for most of the last 40 years across the world, the members attitude is stunningly parochial. Most people can tell I'm American when I talk. My accent doesn't place me by state much as it has been influenced by time away and being in prolonged contact with so many other accents and ways of phrasing things. Even the family notices this when I visit.

Don't make the error that just cause I ain't a college man that I don't have capacity to learn, process and understand the world as I encounter it.

My image is of an Orangutan sheltering from the monsoon. Living in Chiang Mai I came to love the monsoon season. All the windows open for any breeze that could be caught. Sitting on the stoop watching the green and listening to the steady fall of rain. Any person who has fell into a deep sleep as rain pattered on their roof during a calm night knows just how relaxing it is. So, I chose the word as my online name. No mystery to it. And I have a special fondness for Orangs. Something you wouldn't appreciate without direct experience.

Blackwing pencils. Read a bit on the history, interesting. One question that comes to my mind is why no other company, or an offshoot of the parent company, has access to the lead formula if it was considered so good.
    Last edited by Monsoon; December 14th, 2022 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added info

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Monsoon For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Is Texas still a state? I heard somewhere they wanted to be a country.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,474 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    Same member also wrote some trash about not "speaking like a Texan".
    Actually no I didn't say anything about speaking. All I said was you don't sound like a Texan. That's different. Just a small insignificant observation. I wasn't abusive or aggressive and didn't call you stupid or parochial or any other names and you didn't need to be abusive or aggressive in your response. Nor did I ramble on about it for a long paragraph.

Enjoy your pencils wherever you are, be it Texas, Thailand or anywhere else.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 15th, 2022 at 01:19 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

724Seney (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Check post number 211. You question my candor several times, like this: "But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orangutan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? " That is deeply offensive to me, and as I have already stated I don't take horseshit from anyone. Instead of getting to talk about pencils that interest me I get dragged into some weird ass internal fight. What sort of people are you and what kind of new members are you expecting to join if this is an example of typical gatekeeping here.

I am on R&R now. Heading to Phang Nga in a few days to do some surfing, if there is some. I suck, took it up late in life. It is addictive.

When I get back to home and work maybe the conversation can turn to pencils and not weird ass conspiracy shit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Monsoon For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    Check post number 211. You question my candor several times, like this: "But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orangutan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? " That is deeply offensive to me, and as I have already stated I don't take horseshit from anyone. Instead of getting to talk about pencils that interest me I get dragged into some weird ass internal fight. What sort of people are you and what kind of new members are you expecting to join if this is an example of typical gatekeeping here.

I am on R&R now. Heading to Phang Nga in a few days to do some surfing, if there is some. I suck, took it up late in life. It is addictive.

When I get back to home and work maybe the conversation can turn to pencils and not weird ass conspiracy shit.
    She's backpedaling.

No one needs to know any personal information that you don't want to share. They don't share their personal information. I've been hacked and scammed by at least two members, but suspect they are the same person. Just stick to pencil talk on this section and you'll be fine.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Enjoy your pencils wherever you are, be it Texas, Thailand or anywhere else.
    Hmmm......like maybe New Zealand??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

I don’t collect them, but I do seem to accumulate some.

As for “aircon”… a Texan would have said “air”, “AC” or “air conditioning”.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Actually, a Texan said when the power grid went down and 700 died, "I need a ticket to Cancun".
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Actually, a Texan said when the power grid went down and 700 died, "I need a ticket to Cancun".
    Hi Candy/Chuck-

I'm not sure what you're talking about in your many posts which bemoan "whataboutism?"
    Would this be a good example?
    Thanks, in advance, for the clarification.
    Happy Holidays!

Thanks

Hey, guys. Take it to the Politics part of the Forum. It doesn't belong here.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 15th, 2022), Lloyd (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Hi Candy/Chuck-

I'm not sure what you're talking about in your many posts which bemoan "whataboutism?"
    Would this be a good example?
    Thanks, in advance, for the clarification.
    Happy Holidays!
    You never responded when asked about your demographics. Why hold a new member to a different standard. Yes, happy holidays to both or all three of you.... ho ho ho

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stands on Feet View Post
    Hey, guys. Take it to the Politics part of the Forum. It doesn't belong here.
    No politics. I'm defending a new member from some old timers holding him/her to a standard for which they don't hold for themselves. They were the one's that mentioned Texas.

Thanks

In the event of an “aircon”, “air”, “AC” or “air conditioning” problem wouldn't a Texan say "Burn baby burn"?

Thanks

Anybody here actually from Texas that actually knows the acceptable vernacular?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

I have to admit this thread got me to wondering about mechanical pencils, because I really don't give them any thought.

I like the government/Skilcraft ones the best, but they must all be down in the shop. The 1.0mm works best for marking rough cuts, and the 0.7 for finer wood measurement.

Glancing around the office I suppose I have an affinity for Staedtler. The Kaweco goes with an old 112 Sport.

IMG_1952.jpeg
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,474 Times in 4,007 Posts

Does anyone know if that very thin tube like the ones on the Staedtlers is available as a spare part?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Just won another Rocket pencil just now for $4.00. I have plenty of lead and original erasers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 651 Posts

Just won another Rocket pencil just now for $4.00. I have plenty of lead and original erasers.
    What's a Rocket Pencil?

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

There are several "Rocket" versions. If I remember, these were introduced in the 1950's. I lost the resource that posted catalogues. Some area all plastic. Some have gold clips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; December 19th, 2022 at 07:33 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 19th, 2022), Lloyd (December 19th, 2022)