Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

^ That can surely help. Of course, there's the presumption that a person isn't "hijacking" a nickname from the other site. Just mentioning, because there are devious people out there who enjoy partaking in that kind of activity. But in general, it's easier to sell lower cost items when starting out and I think you'll be just fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

No. But, because I use them daily, I have a fistful of "Dollar Pack" cheapies.

I dipped my toe in over at Jet Pens and now there's a 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry (in Olive!) and a 0.3mm Uni Kuru Toga Auto and various lead brands on the way.
    Last edited by VertOlive; December 13th, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

myu (December 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    No. But, because I use them daily, I have a fistful of "Dollar Pack" cheapies.

I dipped my toe in over at Jet Pens and now there's a 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry (in Olive!) and a 0.3mm Uni Kuru Toga Auto and various lead brands on the way.
    The Pentel Sharp Kerry is a terrific mechanical pencil. Some say it isn't quite the same as when they first introduced it (cheapened a little), but whatever the changed hasn't affected the general perception. A capped mechanical pencil has some nice advantages. The Uni Kuru Toga is quite a remarkable mechanical pencil -- you'll be impressed with the auto lead advance and rotation mechanism. They have a metal bodied version, but unfortunately they don't have a clear section on it to reveal the mechanism in action.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

inklord (December 22nd, 2017), VertOlive (December 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Both my pencils arrived from Jetpens and I'm completely converted. I've used both for Latin homework and for my son's homework sessions. The Kerry is much easier to transport, due to its cap, but I like the "eversharp" feature of the Uni. I can see a couple more versions of the Uni in our future.
    Last edited by VertOlive; December 23rd, 2017 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks

...love my Lamy scribble (first and foremost), Lamy spirit, all my old, old Rotrings, Lamy 2000M pencil and Lamy CP1 pencil; now lusting for some e+M and Koh-i-noor 2mm drop-lead (clutch) colored pencils... and the Lamy Aion pencil as soon as it's released!

Thanks

Both my pencils arrived from Jetpens and I'm completely converted. I've used both for Latin homework and for my son's homework sessions. The Kerry is much easier to transport, due to its cap, but I like the "eversharp" feature of the Uni. I can see a couple more versions of the Uni in our future.
    Congrats -- glad to hear both turned out well for you. The Uni has a new Kuru Toga model (Kuru Toga Advance) that has improved the rotation... and it's supposed to result in an even sharper tip. I admire the mechanism but I'm not quite sold on it. I don't mind rotating the pencil in my hand to even out the line. In some ways I like it fixed, because you can choose to write more narrow or wide depending on how you're holding the pencil. I just ordered a green Sharp Kerry off eBay (I would have bought it from JetPens, except that $8.58 shipped was too hard to pass up).

Quote Originally Posted by inklord
    ...love my Lamy scribble (first and foremost), Lamy spirit, all my old, old Rotrings, Lamy 2000M pencil and Lamy CP1 pencil; now lusting for some e+M and Koh-i-noor 2mm drop-lead (clutch) colored pencils... and the Lamy Aion pencil as soon as it's released!
    I am a long time user of LAMY pens but have never tried the Scribble. While I knew it didn't have a retractable tip, it certainly seems to have a retractable sleeve. I'm tempted to give it a go, especially after reading a couple of very nice positive reviews.
    Last edited by myu; December 25th, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks

Mp's are a no name that I bought in high school and a few from Parker Flighter sets. A 45, Classic and Insignia. The no name has been a workhorse. All are .5 mm lead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    Congrats -- glad to hear both turned out well for you. The Uni has a new Kuru Toga model (Kuru Toga Advance) that has improved the rotation... and it's supposed to result in an even sharper tip. I admire the mechanism but I'm not quite sold on it. I don't mind rotating the pencil in my hand to even out the line. In some ways I like it fixed, because you can choose to write more narrow or wide depending on how you're holding the pencil. I just ordered a green Sharp Kerry off eBay (I would have bought it from JetPens, except that $8.58 shipped was too hard to pass up).

Quote Originally Posted by inklord
    I am a long time user of LAMY pens but have never tried the Scribble. While I knew it didn't have a retractable tip, it certainly seems to have a retractable sleeve. I'm tempted to give it a go, especially after reading a couple of very nice positive reviews.
    The tip on the scribble is rather sturdy (cast Al or brass?) ...hooray to your italicizing and boldening the LAMY script!

Thanks

Re: the Sharp Kerry. It took me several days and then an email to learn that the eraser is actually in the cap of the pen. Kind of like how the gas cap is "inside" the tail light of the '58 Caddy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

myu (December 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Re: the Sharp Kerry. It took me several days and then an email to learn that the eraser is actually in the cap of the pen. Kind of like how the gas cap is "inside" the tail light of the '58 Caddy.
    The chromed "grid" center body adornment has that 50's automotive aesthetic, which also adds to the retro feel of the Kerry. I'm looking forward to getting mine late next week!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Some early ones,
    1.jpg
    Some English ones,
    2.jpg
    Some German ones with a very large Salamander, with an English Waverly Envoy at the end
    3.jpg
    Some American ones but starting with a couple of German ones, a Greif and one with no name that seems a Kaweco and two really nice ones (I believe),
    a Waterman and a LeBoeuf...
    4.jpg

Happy New Year to all !

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AZuniga For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 22nd, 2022), Cyril (May 22nd, 2022), fountainpagan (December 30th, 2017), myu (January 1st, 2018), VertOlive (December 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Well, I won't be getting my green/olive Pentel Sharp Kerry after all. That "good deal" I found turned out to be an illusion. The seller had showed the item location in New York, NY (not far from me) and so shipping time was anticipated to be very short. But then... 2 weeks go by and no pencil. I then discovered that the seller origin shows as Thailand, which I found a bit peculiar. Then the bomb dropped... I saw the seller's feedback rating had suddenly tanked from something like 98% to 66%. It turns out they've stiffed many other buyers. I wrote to the seller a couple of times over the course of several days and got no response. I then opened a case, and still no response. So... I could stake my life on not getting this pencil from the seller. No matter, I contacted eBay and informed them of my grievance. I was assured I'll get my money back, so not to worry.

It was so compelling to see the chance to get a green Kerry mechanical pencil for under $9 USD, but there's no other recent history of such a price except for used examples. There's plenty of new ones around $14 USD. I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait a bit more to see if I can get another good deal, but one that finally completes with success!
    Last edited by myu; January 12th, 2018 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks

As a matter of fact yes I already liked them and started collecting them very slowly.

Thanks

Yes. I love them. I collect but also use them to draw with. I just wish I could find info on repairing them.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

Cob (January 23rd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    Yes. I love them. I collect but also use them to draw with. I just wish I could find info on repairing them.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Me too!

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les tętes rondes!

Thanks

At this point, I'm not quite collecting them so much as I am exploring them.

I have two more pencils coming from Jet Pens: a Uni Kuru Targa "Pipe Slide" O.5 mm and a Rotring Drafting pencil in silver, also 0.5 mm.

I find myself guarding and keeping track of the 2 pencils I already have as if they were just as valuable to me as my pricey fountain pens.
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 27th, 2018 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks

No not here I am not a big fan of the retractibles as I am heavy handed and tend to break the leads. I always use traditional pencils. I love the smell: very nostalgic reminds me of school. However I am tempted by a Staedler Clutch pencil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matteob View Post
    No not here I am not a big fan of the retractibles as I am heavy handed and tend to break the leads.
    Have you tried mechanical pencils with lead-protecing mechanisms, like Pentel Orenz (sliding sleeve) or Zebra Delgard (fancy protection thingy)?

Thanks

Nope will give them a look though

Thanks

Still not admitting to collecting, but found a NOS pair of Staedtler Mars Drafting pencils in 0.5 and 0.7mm on speerbob's ebay site for $10 shipped.

Also went completely Luddite and got a box of General Pencil Co.'s Cedar Pointes ( and a pencil sharpener). The smell brings me back 50 years...

Now enjoying comparing these six models as to which is best for bookkeeping, Latin study, or other note taking.
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 31st, 2018 at 07:43 PM.