Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Still not admitting to collecting, but found a NOS pair of Staedtler Mars Drafting pencils in 0.5 and 0.7mm on speerbob's ebay site for $10 shipped.

Also went completely Luddite and got a box of General Pencil Co.'s Cedar Pointes ( and a pencil sharpener). The smell brings me back 50 years...

Now enjoying comparing these six models as to which is best for bookkeeping, Latin study, or other note taking.
    Nice -- older Staedtler Mars pencils are very well made. Speerbob can have some good bargains on mechanical pencils from time to time.

Yeah, I know what you mean about wooden pencils. I hadn't sharpened one in probably close to 20 years now. When I did it recently, the aroma instantly took me back to grade school! Trippy.

Thanks

Like VertOlive I, too, am Definitely Not A Collector, but I have just happened to have bought 3 more mechanical/clutch pencils to try: Staedtler 925 25 (excellent); Caran D'Ache Fixpencil (excellent, although I need time to decide whether I prefer it to the Staedtler 780C) and Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L (surprisingly rubbish). I probably have in the region of 15 mechanical pencils, but I still refuse to believe I'm collecting them.

I feel a bit of a fraud since I can try all my pencils and decide which ones are best, but most of them still have whatever lead they arrived in which means (a) I haven't used them enough to use up the lead and (b) any comparisons between pencils are largely useless if they have different brands of lead. I ought to try some more Pentel Ain or other fancier leads, but I suspect that my decades-long use of standard Pentel High-Polymer HB means that any other leads (no matter how technically brilliant they are) are just wrong somehow.

That said, the Caran D'Ache 2mm B lead that came in the Fixpencil is lovely, and not massively different to the wonderful Tombow Mono 100 HB wood pencil I bought recently to try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milkb0at View Post
    Like VertOlive I, too, am Definitely Not A Collector, but I have just happened to have bought 3 more mechanical/clutch pencils to try: Staedtler 925 25 (excellent); Caran D'Ache Fixpencil (excellent, although I need time to decide whether I prefer it to the Staedtler 780C) and Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L (surprisingly rubbish). I probably have in the region of 15 mechanical pencils, but I still refuse to believe I'm collecting them.

I feel a bit of a fraud since I can try all my pencils and decide which ones are best, but most of them still have whatever lead they arrived in which means (a) I haven't used them enough to use up the lead and (b) any comparisons between pencils are largely useless if they have different brands of lead. I ought to try some more Pentel Ain or other fancier leads, but I suspect that my decades-long use of standard Pentel High-Polymer HB means that any other leads (no matter how technically brilliant they are) are just wrong somehow.

That said, the Caran D'Ache 2mm B lead that came in the Fixpencil is lovely, and not massively different to the wonderful Tombow Mono 100 HB wood pencil I bought recently to try.
    I probably own close to 30 mechanical pencils, but also didn't intend to "collect" them. ;-) Some I got as a fountain pen or ballpoint companion. Others were in pen lots that I'd purchased. But some are the result of deliberate collecting of very specific characteristics. I adore well made vintage Japanese mechanical pencils, especially ones with retractable tips. I would never think to try collecting all variations out there, because there are some which are so uncommon and rare, you face voracious bidding competition. One in particular I've wanted is a Pilot Automatic that will sell for about $800 USD in mint condition, and about $400 USD in very good condition with some surface pitting/corrosion. For me, I just can't see paying more than $200 for any mechanical pencil, unless it is an exclusive edition from a high-end pen maker that goes with a matching fountain pen.

About the Faber Castell TK Fine Vario, I'd also read that it doesn't present a quality and character that matches the price. Very sad to see that stalwart brand compromise their reputation, as their older models are quite sought after (like the Alpha matic and TK matic).

Thanks

I've heard about the Pilot Automatic, but only in relation to the Orenznero. I hadn't realised the vintage version was that much. Golly.

The F-C is weird. Some people have complained about the quality of the plastic, but that hasn't bothered me. For me, the grip is weird and too slippery, and the ultra-cool vario cushioning does absolutely nothing unless you mash the pencil into the page. Since we're all gentle fountain pen users here, our light touch makes the vario feature utterly pointless.

Thanks

There is a Pilot Automac [JetPens link], which is a different mechanical pencil that was recently released. It has a retractable tip like the original Automatic [photo]. But it's not on the same level (like a professional drafting instrument). Oddly, it's not listed on the PilotPen.us site. Mixed reviews about it.

Personally, I'm not all that keen about automatic feed pencils. It's all mechanical, so it has no idea how much lead is worn to know how much to advance. It just blindly does it. I really don't have a problem with clicking the propelling mechanism. Actually, I quite like doing it... sort of like shifting a transmission rather than driving an automatic.

The cushioning effect can be oft putting, indeed. Some people complain about it with the UNI Kuru Toga, but frankly I hardly notice it. The rotation mechanism is rather cool. I made a comparison with other pencils, examining the lead tips under a loupe, and was amazed to see the Kuru Toga having a nice conical tip, while the others had a chisel shape. That was keeping the hand steady. Normally, I do rotate the pencil in my hand to avoid a sharp chisel shape. And actually, when drawing one can leverage the chisel shape to advantage... Thus, the Kuru Toga is really more ideal for note taking.
    Last edited by myu; February 6th, 2018 at 02:30 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (February 17th, 2018)

Thanks

The Kuru Toga is also better suited for either block print or Eastern logograms, since the tip must be lifted off the paper to engage the rotation mechanism. Those who write exclusively in cursive do not find it very useful, apparently.

Thanks

Yeah ! Love mechanical pencils ...
    Latest is the Rotring Esprit Double Push ( 0.7mm ) Most expensive writing utensil I have ever purchased . ( An exercise in extravagance )

At the moment I use a Pentel GraphGear 1000 .9mm for my scribbling ..

But I do have a few mechanical pencils ( Vintage as well )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
    The Kuru Toga is also better suited for either block print or Eastern logograms, since the tip must be lifted off the paper to engage the rotation mechanism. Those who write exclusively in cursive do not find it very useful, apparently.
    Interesting observation. My daily note taker is an Uni Kuru Toga and I absolutely love it. However, I have long since given up cursive hand writing and only write in all CAPS these days, so this may explain my appreciation of this pencil. I have dozens of mechanical pencils but have never considered myself a collector of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by old4570 View Post

Yeah ! Love mechanical pencils ...
    Latest is the Rotring Esprit Double Push ( 0.7mm ) Most expensive writing utensil I have ever purchased . ( An exercise in extravagance )
    If you think the rOtring Esprit is an exercise in extravagance, wait until you see the rOtring 600 Trio, or a vintage rOtring 600G. Does the metal Esprit have a brass core to it, or is it a fairly lightweight pencil?

Thanks

Some of my pencils ! ( German - Japanese - American / Vintage - Modern )

Esprit = Light weight . Well made . Dont think there is a brass core ...

Thanks

^ Very nice diverse mechanical pencil collection! The Pentel PMG 0.3mm is a great pencil and for the longest time I had no clue that there was a metal tip protector installed on the rear end. Odd that they didn't include this on the 0.5mm... I guess that size is deemed to have a strong enough lead sleeve to resist bending from typical drop heights. What's your favorite(s) in this lineup?

Thanks

I do love 0.9mm - Best size for me to write and scribble ..
    Most of the vintage pencils are 0.9mm

At the moment I reach for the Pentel Graphgear 1000 ( 0.9mm ) , has double push - retractable tip . Everything is tight ( no play ) .
    I would consider the Graphgear 1000 a must have for any pencil collector or serious user ...

For some reason the Japanese love 0.5mm , I am so over 0.5mm .

0.7mm = A little iffy on it , just feels like a compromise , just give me 0.9mm .

I just got me a Ohto double push with button ( 0.7mm ) , ok had to buy it , but not the greatest ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

I used mechanical pencils when I was in grad school, but haven't used them much since then. My husband still uses them though.

Thanks

I recently bought my first Kuru Toga pencil, the Advance model, which rotates the lead twice as fast as the first generation mechanism. IIRC, it's 20 steps per revolution as opposed to 40 in the older models. I read some complaints about the wobbly feel of the Kuru Toga, but supposedly it was tightened up in the Advance. When writing with a light hand, I cannot feel any "wobbly" or "mushy" feedback. When pressing harder, the entire tip gives a little, the rotation mechanism starts acting like a cushion of sorts. I don't think fountain pen users, who generally are not heavy-handed, will experience any issues. So far, I enjoy the uniform line thickness it produces. I'll try softer lead in the future, the pencil probably came with HB out of the box.

Thanks

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 22nd, 2022), VertOlive (April 21st, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

--> old4570 : How would you compare the Graph Gear 1000 to the Rotring 600? The Rotring has been my favorite of the few models I've explored so far.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Myu what is that?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Still in "Exploration Mode" and have four new incoming from Jetpens:

Pentel Orenz 0.2mm (pink)
    Zebra Tect 2way 0.3mm (lite green)
    Pentel PG5 Slim Drafting pencil 0.5 mm (black and orange)
    TWSBI Jr Pagoda 0.7mm (marmalade)

Will report back upon receipt.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

--> old4570 : How would you compare the Graph Gear 1000 to the Rotring 600? The Rotring has been my favorite of the few models I've explored so far.
    You didn't ask me but I will answer anyway: I like the Graph Gear 1000 b/c it is retractable and one of the few where the lead sleeve doesn't have a lot of play. But I ONLY use it if I need the retractable feature otherwise I am much more likely to grab the Rotring 600. I find the Graph Gear 1000 b/c grip section a little wierd. YMMV.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 4th, 2018)

Thanks

TWSBI Jr Pagoda 0.7mm (marmalade)
    This one was a winner for me. I got it free when I bought a pen at my local Brick and Mortar. I like that the pen is well balanced and a little chubby. Though I am not fond of rubberized grip sections. Still nice to have a slightly fatter pencil.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 4th, 2018)