Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Like a lot of the folks participating here, I don't collect them per se but do have several that I've picked up as part of FP sets. Here's what I could round up with a quick look around my desk, although I feel like I should have a few more. I'm pretty sure, for example, that I got one in a set with my Parker VP but the box for it(likely with the pencil) is a tub behind my desk that I'm not up to digging out now.

From top to bottom-
    Montblanc 176
    Montblanc 172
    These are both click pencils that take something close to 1.1mm lead

Vacumatics in Golden Pearl, Silver Pearl, and Burgundy Pearl.
    The burgundy I can't figure out the lead size on. I have .9mm in it now, which it will hold but it gets loose really easily. I'm guessing it needs the imperial size that's a bit larger than .9mm.

Then, a 51 Pencil, twist

The H&R Block pencil I would love to know who made it. My dad had an H&R block franchise back in the 80s, and these pencils were a staple around our house growing up. They weren't really meant as advertising pieces, but were used to fill out the tax returns that would then get duplicated by what I think he's described as a Diazotype process(he always said "blueprint"). My dad still has a box of lead kicking around his desk. It's a super soft ~1.1mm and makes dark lines with little pressure. It uses a simple helix to advance the lead, and retraction is manual. The original pink erasers long ago became useless, and the one in it now is a Pental-branded refill that I trimmed to fit an old ferrule.

The bottom is an Eversharp.

IMG_2609.jpg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 28th, 2022), Chuck Naill (December 28th, 2022), Cyril (May 5th, 2023), Monsoon (December 27th, 2022), usk15 (December 28th, 2022)

Thanks

All nice tho that H&R Block is very handsome in my eyes. Do you still see them anywhere for sale? Edit, sorry did not read closely about not knowing the maker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    Hmm, its always good to have review of course. Was there something particular that led to that lack of enthrallment? From a purely esthetic standpoint I like the idea of black rubber with engine turning on it or something that looks like that, which is why this brand attracts me. What alternatives exist without going to old pencils?
    They're laser etched patterns. To me, they felt cheap...
    IMHO, they'd be OK for half their price.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    Last edited by Lloyd; December 28th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Monsoon (December 28th, 2022)

Thanks

An Esterbrook "Dollar" type pencil and an early Parker 51. The Parker was a pain to get to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Monsoon (December 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Reading reviews of modern pencils I keep coming up against remarks about scratchiness. How can that be? Surely the smooth/scratch of a pencil is down to the lead quality alone? From the reviews it sort of seems like the users are running the lead down to the sleeve and then have the sleeve catch on the paper.

Thanks

Reading reviews of modern pencils I keep coming up against remarks about scratchiness. How can that be? Surely the smooth/scratch of a pencil is down to the lead quality alone? From the reviews it sort of seems like the users are running the lead down to the sleeve and then have the sleeve catch on the paper.
    Autopoint pencil only progress the lead. To reduce the lead you twist backwards and press down. I suspect you might be correct since having too long lead exposure can lead to breaks.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Managed to find this one, funny enough while looking for something totally unrelated...

It makes a nice match for the VP fountain pen, although I have mixed feelings about that one as a writing tool as well(despite looking for one for a while...)

_DSC5252.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Managed to find this one, funny enough while looking for something totally unrelated...

It makes a nice match for the VP fountain pen, although I have mixed feelings about that one as a writing tool as well(despite looking for one for a while...)

_DSC5252.jpg
    Did you steal it from V.E. Mason?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Autopoint pencil only progress the lead. To reduce the lead you twist backwards and press down. I suspect you might be correct since having too long lead exposure can lead to breaks.
    Why do some prefer the Autopoint to basic but robust mechanicals like the Pentel 20* series, or to the newer myriad of mechanicals?

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Why do some prefer the Autopoint to basic but robust mechanicals like the Pentel 20* series, or to the newer myriad of mechanicals?

For me, it is for the same reasons like enjoy the vintage fountain pens. Nostalgia I suppose. Plus they are built well and last .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 1st, 2023)

Thanks

I wouldn’t say I collect them, yet my stash of them is growing. Mine span from my parents’ work mechanical pencils, ones I got for school, then new ones I’ve acquired, as well as vintage ones primarily Autopoint. A very nice person on FPN offered to give me an Autopoint, and also sent vintage Ever Sharp and Ever Ready. It was such a pleasant surprise, and I like the Ever Ready best because of the color scheme.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (January 4th, 2023), Lloyd (January 3rd, 2023), usk15 (January 4th, 2023)

Thanks

Once I saw someone mention a rocket clip Autopoint, it was off to eBay. I’m a bit of a Space geek. I’ve bought three rocket clip vintage Autopoints, plus one in what’s called cracked ice. My most recent rocket clip purchase has an ad on it. Turns out that company was headquartered in KCMO. The company on the pencil is Allied Labs.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (January 4th, 2023), Lloyd (January 3rd, 2023), usk15 (January 4th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Once I saw someone mention a rocket clip Autopoint, it was off to eBay. I’m a bit of a Space geek. I’ve bought three rocket clip vintage Autopoints, plus one in what’s called cracked ice. My most recent rocket clip purchase has an ad on it. Turns out that company was headquartered in KCMO. The company on the pencil is Allied Labs.
    That is a nice specimen. Yesterday I used one of my Rocket Autopoints to take notes. These just have a nice feel when using. They are still readily available. I need one with a "cracked ice" barrel.

Thanks

Fountain Pen Network is now operating so I will be heading over there to register as a member. My thanks to those here who engaged on the pencil subject. Feel a bit sorry that you have to suffer having a small group of lowlifes lacking social skills and driven by paranoia (as it seems). Cannot find anywhere in the settings for how to delete an account so this will have to persist. So let it be a caution for future new members that this place is mostly welcoming as long as you steer well clear of the group mentioned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Fountain Pen Network is now operating so I will be heading over there to register as a member. My thanks to those here who engaged on the pencil subject. Feel a bit sorry that you have to suffer having a small group of lowlifes lacking social skills and driven by paranoia (as it seems). Cannot find anywhere in the settings for how to delete an account so this will have to persist. So let it be a caution for future new members that this place is mostly welcoming as long as you steer well clear of the group mentioned.
    Whom will you be over there?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Same, online name depends on what has been used by others and what is a available.

regards,
    Alfred

Thanks

Why didn't you register there as soon as you were able instead of announcing it here first?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Why didn't you register there as soon as you were able instead of announcing it here first?

It's a good question but maybe better to not ask as it only serves to prolong a completely needless off topic discussion on a thread that used to focus on mechanical pencils.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

724Seney (January 11th, 2023), dneal (January 10th, 2023), Lloyd (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Same, online name depends on what has been used by others and what is a available.

regards,
    Alfred
    The boy no longer reads there extensively and only in a few on the sections.

Farmboy is Farmboy there.

Thanks

Because there are some bad apples here who instead of realizing there mistake and apologizing (not even in a private email) are now going to sweep it under the carpet and pretend that they had nothing do with it, just like fee-paying member of the GOP. Future members should be aware of what goes on round here.