Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Gold Nib(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default Re: Small Gold Nib(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    I don't, but most serious restoration people have personal sources for such things.

My method for donor gold nibs is to snag bargain hopeless pens off the bay and steal their nibs. It is hit or miss on condition and size, but with practice you can assume 1 recovery for 4 or 5 attempts and then you can get a pretty good feel for how much of a bargain you need to hunt for. My problem is more that I keep tryig to save the entire pen instead and end up having to start over again on the nib hunt. The small ones are significantly more difficult to source but they are out there.
    Sorry Jeph I missed this one earlier. Yes, well, today I have bought TEN pens, most of which I expect to be junk. On top of these I have a very cheap Blackbird coming which is supposed to have a Parker nib; must be a small one if it's in a Blackbird; perhaps I've struck a gold mine?? ANd there's a John Bull and a Jewel coming too but I'll be trying to save those. I'll post pictures of some of this tat in the "What's your latest pen acquisition?" thread. They'll look great next to all the fancy coloured Lucky Curves, Namikis and Montblancs I think
    Oh yes, a Waterman's Ideal 3V pen and pencil set arrived today; the "Accounts" nib in the pen is a bad joke - a tungsten steel rivet - so now I want a "cheap" No2Waterman's Ideal nib too (ha ha ha ha ha).

Best wishes and thanks,

Cob
    Last edited by Cob; July 8th, 2014 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    I don't, but most serious restoration people have personal sources for such things.

My method for donor gold nibs is to snag bargain hopeless pens off the bay and steal their nibs. It is hit or miss on condition and size, but with practice you can assume 1 recovery for 4 or 5 attempts and then you can get a pretty good feel for how much of a bargain you need to hunt for. My problem is more that I keep tryig to save the entire pen instead and end up having to start over again on the nib hunt. The small ones are significantly more difficult to source but they are out there.
    Reading this thread I absolutely agree with Jeph.

This morning I received a fairly cheap (below Jeph's normal prices) Blackbird which nib I intend to use on another Blackbird I got last week which has a Swan #1 which will be installed on a Swan that has been waiting for a nib for a while.
    A Swan No 1 in a Blackbird? Lucky you; going down a step, I do have a Blackbird G in a Jackdaw!

Regards
    Cob

Thanks

SORTED

My bumper batch today (see recent pen acquisitions), together with a Waterman bought this morning has yielded more or less what I need for the present.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Rgds

Cob