Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Stypen PIF - Murfie's next giveaway

Non-participant
    Thanks

Smile CONCLUDED: French Stypen PIF - Murfie's next giveaway

THIS PIF IS NOW CONCLUDED

My last PIF attracted 30 entrants which was very pleasing and has contributed to my intention to offer more. So this week the PIF is something rather unusual. I don't know very much about this pen other than I purchased it some six or seven years ago as part of a bulk purchase of discontinued French Stypen fountain pens of a variety of models.

As the photos show, it is quite unusual in design having a polished stone patten of predominant grey, with gold coloured plated hardware and contrasting black ends to the cap and barrel. The cap is a press fit of good quality. The nib is plated steel, not imprinted with the gauge but I would call it a fine. Filling is via a short international cartridge, but I have fitted a small mini-converter if you don't want to use carts. Some Diamine cartridges will be included with the pen.

This is not a large pen and unless your hands are really small, it would need to be posted. The dimensions are 120.3mm (total length when capped); 105.1mm (uncapped); and 140.5mm (posted). The clip has a very unusual and attractive shape. This is a pen that would be ideal as a carry in a purse or bag along with your daily journal. I find it rather an attractive pen, but of course that is purely subjective.

This PIF will conclude at noon GMT on Friday July 18th. The winner will be selected using Random.org and notified via PM. Included in this PIF is free airmail to any location in the world (that's for the pen, not yourself, unfortunately). Unlike earlier PIF's there is a qualification for entry to this one. You must have been thanked MORE THAN TWICE by other members of FPG. If you meet this prerequisite then you apply simply by a post to this thread, stating your wish to enter and indicating which pen you would like to acquire next, finances permitting, and why you think you would like that particular pen or nib. If you are not intending to buy any more pens, then just say so and the reason why not. In this manner other members get to know a little bit about you and what you like personally.

Best of luck. It might just be your turn to win ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Murfie; July 25th, 2014 at 08:25 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Aleks (July 12th, 2014), bc.hiker (July 14th, 2014), chatminouche (July 17th, 2014), earthdawn (July 12th, 2014), faithdonna (July 12th, 2014), Hawk (July 12th, 2014), migo984 (July 12th, 2014), Pennanngalan (July 13th, 2014), rdcalhoon (July 17th, 2014), RuiFromUK (July 14th, 2014), tarheel1 (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: French Stypen PIF - Murfie's next giveaway

Im game. My next pen will probably be a twsbi 580 in 1.1. Funds are tight right now or i would get a vintage sheaffer pfm or oversized balance.

Unfortunatly being #1 chances are slim that i win.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tarheel1 For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    Unfortunately being #1 chances are slim that I win.
    In a random number draw, every entry/number has an even chance. Good luck, it might well be your turn!

Thanks

i think i qualify yay!!! and i intend to purchase a Platinum pen because im missing a nib with a heart breather hole in my collection

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks for this great PIF! I'm in! I'd like to win this pen because I've had a (rather cheap) Stypen in the past and loved it. Unfortunately it went belly-up when I tried a rather cruel nib customization (my first and, so far, my only one). Additionally, this pen looks gorgeous!

I don't know what my next pen will be, probably something in the el-cheapo NOS German vintage range that eBay throws my way. Might also be one of those beautyful German NOS piston fillers that Lexaf is frequently selling on the board ...
    My adventures in leatherwork (partly in English)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Polyhistor For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

You rock, Murfie!

I'm in to win! Haha. I do not know specifics yet because I haven't researched enough, but finances permitting I would love to get a vintage flex fountain pen next. I just bought a Noodler's Konrad and I am pretty happy learning and practicing pointed pen calligraphy with it (though it doesn't make as fine a fine line that my Esterbrook 358 dip pen nib does), but I keep seeing people online saying vintage flex is best. I am dying of curiosity! I want to get to try it for myself.

Thank you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to faithdonna For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Not a entry, but that is a very pretty pen. It reminds me of slate. Very generous of you.
    Continuing with your theme, I just bought a Pelikan M205. I am saving up for one of Richard Binder's full flex nib in EF/XXF.
    The question is the nib only or the full monty with a M400?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to littletim For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Count me in and thanks for the opportunity.

I am looking forward to a TWSBI 580 AL in blue - which is not yet available - hoping they include blue.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Surprisingly, I qualify

I'll take a shot at this pen, it is very nice looking. My next pen will probably be an ebonite Konrad from the Noodler's line. I really like the looks of these pens, especially the Methuselah's Pine Cone Dixie #10. I will get a fine nib for this, my writing requires a thin line for legibility. Thank you for the opportunity!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pennanngalan For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

It took me a while to find out how many thanks I had. It seems I quality. I would like to enter. This would indeed go nicely with my journal or take around planner. If I were to go buy a pen should I have the cash it would probably be a vintage Sheaffer PFM. The snorkel system is my favorite and I love the bigger size of the PFM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littletim View Post
    I just bought a Pelikan M205. I am saving up for one of Richard Binder's full flex nib in EF/XXF. The question is the nib only or the full monty with a M400?
    Well, you have a choice because the nibs are interchangeable. I had one those Binder full flex nibs and it was a bit scratchy at the outset but after some extra work on the micromesh, I got it to meet my personal smoothness preference. I tend to use a tad too much pressure when writing normally so I didn't find the flexing to my personal likeness and it is now in migo984's possession. However, I can understand why flexible nibs are so alluring to many others.

Thanks

I'd like to enter, please.
    I'm currently on the search for a well priced Parker 45 harlequin. This little stypen appeals to me because I love little pens. Thanks for the give away.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Brisboy For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

not an entry. an awesome looking pen. thanks for sharing the love murfie. good luck everyone

24. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Your giveaway pen looks interesting and would be an excellent work pen. My pen collection started with vintage Parker pens that my parents had laying around. Added more Parkers, some Esterbrook's, older hard rubber pens, contemporary Pelikan's vintage Pelikan's and whatever. What is next? Since my eye wanders and the brain bounces around, I will be looking for vintage Pelikan in 100, 101N in gray or tortoise or 400 in tortoise whatever I can find and the budget allows.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Well I see that I qualify for this PIF! My next pen is not hyper expensive and is not hard to find but finances are tight so I am saving my change for a TWSBi 700Vac with an EF nib. My writing style is very small and I find that it works best with a fine or EF nib. Now for the body selection, as my daughter attends Oklahoma State University I was leaning towards the Amber body, but as has been mentioned in on various sites I am considering the clear demonstrator body with a nice bright ink.

Fountain Pen Day - November 6th, 2015
    Broken Arrow, OK

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DMurphy For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 12th, 2014)

Thanks

First off I'm not sure if I have any Thanks, I guess I will see after I post this...LOL I am very interested in this pen and I appreciate the opportunity to participate.

Now the fun part I am in serious pursuit of a Waterman 100 Year pen I am going crazy trying to get one. I almost had one the other day on e-bay but that did not work out. I was so hard up today I tried to get a Waterman 515 looked like a very nice pen but I was at work and got a important call and lost that one too.

So I am "Feening" for a Waterman 100! If I am not qualified that's fine just had to get that off my chest LOL!! and I could use some prayers for luck...

Thanks

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SDE352 For This Useful Post:

RayCornett (July 13th, 2014), tarheel1 (July 13th, 2014), VertOlive (July 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDE352 View Post
    First off I'm not sure if I have any Thanks, I guess I will see after I post this...LOL I am very interested in this pen and I appreciate the opportunity to participate.

Now the fun part I am in serious pursuit of a Waterman 100 Year pen I am going crazy trying to get one. I almost had one the other day on e-bay but that did not work out. I was so hard up today I tried to get a Waterman 515 looked like a very nice pen but I was at work and got a important call and lost that one too.

So I am "Feening" for a Waterman 100! If I am not qualified that's fine just had to get that off my chest LOL!! and I could use some prayers for luck...

Thanks
    You have been thanked twice, but I took care of it and thanked you a third time.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    You have been thanked twice, but I took care of it and thanked you a third time.
    I must say that was very thoughtful of you tarheel1 and quite kosher in relation to the spirit of the rules of this PIF. SDE352 did warrant your thanks based on her/his post and she/he has qualified before the PIF ended. Thank you.

I might add the reason behind my unusual qualification. The purpose of FPG and the forums supported therein, is the collective spread of knowledge about all aspects of fountain pen use and maintenance, in which all participants share regardless of whether you are gleaning information or providing it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a small group of members who only seem to post just to enter a PIF. So, rightly or wrongly (and I would be quite happy to take advice on the subject), I thought my qualification would encourage a little more interaction between some members who seem a little reticent to dive in.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (July 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Tarheel1 thanks for the extra Thanks. I'm good with not being qualified to be in the running! I actually liked the whole thing about the next pen you want to get. I have been trying for about two weeks now to get a Waterman 100 and it really has been crazy.

Thanks

This is a beautiful pen! I cannot enter as I am a new geek and have not posted much yet... however, I wanted to say that this is a very generous PIF and thank you for posting it!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chatminouche For This Useful Post:

Murfie (July 17th, 2014), VertOlive (July 26th, 2014)