Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osmia 884

Thanks

Default Re: Osmia 884

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Thanks Rui.

The (60-year old and worn-out!) cork measures approx. 9mm in diameter and 4mm tall. The internal bore is 5mm.

Rgds

Cob
    If you are not in a rush let me see what I can do as I have some cork at home that I brought from Portugal a couple of months ago.

The internal bore of 5mm is not a problem as 5mm drills are pretty standard. I just need to find a 9mm hollow punch to punch out the initial cork slice before drilling the inner hole.

I am also seeing my brother in a couple of weeks and he might also have some ideas.

Otherwise you might want to start looking for 9mm o'rings and silicone grease.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Rui, good on ya but it ain't that easy. I hope that your experience is better than mine but I have yet to succeed even with custom made tools. I admit my standards might be a little too high, but. And it might be my cork is far, far too old (measured in decades) but I have an entire other box of pens just waiting for corks.

Thanks

Perhaps we need to club together and get ourselves a proper cork cutter - something like the one on the vintagepens site.
    As long as the cork is round and close to the correct diameter, you can sand the rest.
    The problem with cork is that it's soft and porous, making it difficult to cut with a knife. A bit like polystyrene.

@Cob
    The cork diameter for the seal is quite far down the barrel. The diameter of the threaded section on the top of the barrel is larger than the seal diameter. Easiest way to measure it is by finding a the right drill bit diameter that fits. (As long as it is within 0.5 mm, it should be close enough to sand the last to get it fitting snugly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Thank you all for these contributions.

A few points: first I am going to try the O ring solution, second I measured the cork itself - as I explained these are nominal measurements of a 60-year-old cork so I would expect the finished size of a new one to be quite a few thous larger.
    @Rui, no you won't drill cork successfully: I was rebuilding ancient French motor-car engines in France - I had to make quite a few cork gaskets for these; we had a set of hole punches which was the only way - and that could be a pain too if they were not really sharp and care was not taken.

So let's see what happens with the O rings, which are on the way - a whole damned box-full!

Regards and thanks to all

Cob

Thanks

OK then I wait to hear further.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 16th, 2014)

Thanks

UPDATE

Hurrah! my digital caliper arrived so now I can provide accurate measurements.

The mount and screw for the seal measure 8.25mm. Being as gentle as possible, I measured the knackered cork at 8.61mm. So I suppose an educated guess would suggest that the diameter of a good cork would be in the vicinity of 8.75mm.

Rgds

Cob

Thanks

Are you going to try o'rings first?

That is probably more sensible from what Jeph said. If it does not work I can then try to produce a cork but after his statements I am starting to doubt any success as I have never cut a cork.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    Are you going to try o'rings first?

That is probably more sensible from what Jeph said. If it does not work I can then try to produce a cork but after his statements I am starting to doubt any success as I have never cut a cork.
    Hullo Rui.

Yes, well I am waiting for a box of O rings to arrive. If - IF - there are some in there roughly the right size, I shall get busy with files, abrasives, polish and silicone grease in the hope of making them work!

Yes cork is horrid stuff to cut without the sharpest and best of tools.

Rgds

Cob

Thanks

Bumping this old thread since I just acquired an Osmia 883 myself, which may have a worn out seal. Soaking it right now.

How did the repairs work out?

Thanks

Cob tells me that the piston was fixed with an 'O' ring. A correct cap was later found and the pen sold well. It had a splendid broad stub nib.

Thanks

What a coincidence: I am reading this, while I am working on an Osmia 844. I’ve repaired a few Osmia’s and they are very nice and high quality pens. The nibs are just wonderfull

I have tried the soaking method on the first few Osmia’s I repaired, but never had success. So now I just take out the piston and make a new cork seal. To get the piston out, you should gently heat the back end of the pen with something like a hair dryer. Be careful not to heat too much. I use an old blind cap with a slit in together with pliers to remove the piston. Otherwise, the method of wrapping the pliers in tape may work, but be very careful not the damage the threads. Making a new cork seal without the proper cutter isn’t that hard, but it is a bit tedious work. O-rings would be a simpler and faster solution.

Thanks

I wrote up the repair - you can find it in the Repairs section

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

da vinci (November 5th, 2020)