Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sheaffers??

Thanks

Default Favorite Sheaffers??

I think Sheaffer was perhaps the most innovative of the pen companies of the Golden Era and beyond. I know it can be argued many ways and not all the "innovations" were originally their idea, but the did make them marketable. The lever filler, the "balance" shape, the vac filler (certainly not original), the triumph nib and my favorite filling system, the Snorkel. You have to love a pen that has too many moving parts, an extending snorkel tube, and that doubles as a squirt gun. The filling system is an engineering wonder and at the same time just isn't necessary, but as gimmicks go, it was a great one.

As far as writing goes, I really like the OS Sheaffer Balance pens. I've been carrying a brown striped vac filler model for a few months and it a superb pen. It holds a ton of ink and that big two toned nib is eye-catching.

I also think if you are looking for EF nibs, there are some Triumph nibs that are hard to beat.

So what are your favorite Sheaffer's?

Thanks

I love my Sheaffer Statesman, Snorkel, Triumph F4 PdAg nib
    Blogs: Via Gravatar

Twitter: FPOkami

Flickr: Flickr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Re: Favorite Sheaffers??

The OS Balance ranks very highly on my list but I also love the PFMs.

Sent from my DAMAGEDHERO200 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I don't know that I've had enough Sheaffers to have a favorite, but I picked up an Admiral Snorkel to fix up and resell and haven't been able to let it go. It's got a Gregg nib and writes wonderfully, and I have a feeling it'll be staying on my desk.

PMS

I have six Sheaffers, I have two which I use frequently, both lever fill, one is a Craftsman with a flexie Feathertouch nib, and the other is a late 30's Balance with a Lifetime fine point nib with a little bit of give. Both are a joy to write with and one can write with them for very long periods of time.
    PMS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PMS View Post
    I have six Sheaffers, I have two which I use frequently, both lever fill, one is a Craftsman with a flexie Feathertouch nib, and the other is a late 30's Balance with a Lifetime fine point nib with a little bit of give. Both are a joy to write with and one can write with them for very long periods of time.
    PMS
    The Feathertouch nibs are wonderful aren't they? I believe that Sheaffer produced some of the best nibs around. I have a whole bunch of vintage Sheaffer pens and most all of them had nibs that either only needed cleaned up or minor tweaking. Their nibs were sturdy with plenty of tipping material. The triumph nibs are nearly indestructible - unless you take your pliers to them of course.

Thanks

Early version "Fat" Valiant touchdown. All the nice of the vac-filling triumphs (except colour choices) without the evils when repair-time rolls around. A close second are the dirt-cheap cartridge pens, holding their place against other contestants through the power of nostalgia. You never forget your first pen.

Thanks

Greetings,
    I love the Snorkels, Liftime Balances. Vintage Sheaffers are normally in good working even after years of serivice. With some TlC Sheaffers could go on writing forever. In an age where most things are disopble it is refreshing to use a vintage Sheaffer. The quality and craftmanship is excellent, it is a statement of an era gone by, where quality and craftmanship has become so poor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    Greetings,
    I love the Snorkels, Liftime Balances. Vintage Sheaffers are normally in good working even after years of serivice. With some TlC Sheaffers could go on writing forever. In an age where most things are disopble it is refreshing to use a vintage Sheaffer. The quality and craftmanship is excellent, it is a statement of an era gone by, where quality and craftmanship has become so poor.
    Isn't that the truth! I think for the money the vintage Sheaffer is about the best pen deal around. You can still get a pedestrian OS Black Balance for around $100 and sometimes less. You can't beat a deal like that. I don't know how many Snorkels and Touchdowns I have - a bunch; mainly because when I was in my mass accumulation phase I could get vintage Sheaffers cheaper than any other major pen brand. And they are top quality. Love the Sheaffers.

Thanks

Turns out the majority of my collection is Sheaffer. Didn't do that on purpose. The latest is a nice little green striped Balance Jr. that has a medium flex nib and a good writer.

penspouse

I like the tucky's with the triumph nib.

Thanks

Picked up my first vintage Sheaffer just the other day. I believe it to be a "Defender?"
    Nib says "Feather Touch 5," the barrel says "500," and it has an over-the-top military clip. Golden-brown striated lever-fill.
    Last edited by riffraff; June 10th, 2010 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks

I think you're right-- Commandant would have a #3 point, and the other two mil-clips have white dots.

Thanks

I have 8 Sheaffers, of which 3 are lever-filler Frankenpens with different-colored body parts (assembled by a friend). My favorite is a black PFM III with a really smooth F nib - the girth of the pen makes it comfortable to hold, the snorkel filler is easy to use and the wet nib is a joy to write with. I rotate my pens, so all of them get used. Sheaffer made really, really smooth writing nibs!

Thanks

Love mostly the 90's CREST. Have 10 of them.

Thanks

I have a Sheaffer Imperial IV with gold nib and touchdown filling mechanism. I love it. It's been a faithful friend indeed, and is one of my favorite pens. I agree with what another poster said, their EF triumph nibs are pretty amazing. I have two pens sporting an EF triumph nib, and they put down a needle-fine line. I'm still relatively new to fountain pens, but thus far, my favorite nibs have been the vintage Sheaffers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

My first fountain pen was a Sheaffer school pen. I now have a Statesman, No Nonsense and a Javelin that was ground to an italic by the previous owner. The Javelin is my favorite, especially since I got the converter for it. No more ink drying out faster than I can use it and it fixed the flow issues I had with cartridges.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

My PFM's - nice weight and excellent posters. Favorite lately is my only Sheaffer Valor. Love it.

jor412

I really enjoy writing with my Targa and Craftsman, although the Targa has a skipping problem which I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks

Hello All. This is my first post. Just arrived from the other FP site and liked the geek of the week feature. Beyond the fascination with pens and such it is people such as Brian from Edison and the Goulets that make it something more. We all contribute in a way whether online or at the local pen club. Writing is a dying art that few pay any attention to in this electronic age.
    I believe my first FP was a Sheaffer school pen, then I bought a No Nonsense Medium that I still have some 30 years later. I saved my pennies and bought a Stainless Steel Targa which I still use. I have about a dozen targas now, including a ball point, a pencil and two roller balls - one is a slim brass model.
    I have an Imperial II deluxe with the TD filler and a fine Triumph nib. Very smooth writer. I prefer the weight and feel of a metal pen but the Sailor 1911 with Zoom nib may allow me to appreciate the plastic body pens. Good size and balance not unlike a PFM which I intend to acquire someday. There is a pen club member who has a Blue and silver one he may sell... The Lamy Studio is similar in size to a targa. So for me it keeps coming back to the Classic targa. I just purchased a black GT online this week. Just can' t get enough of a good thing.