Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Tokyo

Thanks

Default Hello from Tokyo

Hi there!

I've been into ink and paper for a long time and started doing calligraphy 1-2 years ago using dip pens with metal nibs and the Rotring Art Pens for on the go when I don't have my ink bottle and everything with me. Getting more interested into everything fountain pen these weeks (my LAMY Safari has served well for 20 years or so but now it's time to move on :P)

Been living in Tokyo for the past 5-6 years, doing photography and blowfish poison science, and am publishing a monthly handwritten newsletter about visual arts, photography and Japan.

Please don't bite me, cheers,

Holger

Thanks

Default Re: Hello from Tokyo

Welcome...and don't worry. Non-consensual biting is frowned on 'round these parts. :P
    Trying to save the day for the Old World man
    Trying to pave the way for the Third World man

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtnbiker62 For This Useful Post:

7188photo (July 15th, 2014), Aleks (August 5th, 2014), Brisboy (July 14th, 2014)

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

7188photo (July 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,644 Posts

Holger, welcome, we're glad to have you here. As long as we keep the ink and the blowfish separate, there should be no trouble!

"Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7188photo View Post
    Hi there!

I've been into ink and paper for a long time and started doing calligraphy 1-2 years ago using dip pens with metal nibs and the Rotring Art Pens for on the go when I don't have my ink bottle and everything with me. Getting more interested into everything fountain pen these weeks (my LAMY Safari has served well for 20 years or so but now it's time to move on :P)

Been living in Tokyo for the past 5-6 years, doing photography and blowfish poison science, and am publishing a monthly handwritten newsletter about visual arts, photography and Japan.

Please don't bite me, cheers,

Holger

Handwritten? Awesome! We must see this.

Welcome aboard.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

welcome welcome

11. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Handwritten? Awesome! We must see this.

Welcome aboard.
    Thanks!! Yeah, I'm handwriting my newsletter and sending it out each month to one person, including some photos/prints. The rest of my subscribers get the normal transcribed version of the newsletter, but I also put in a scanned pdf of the original handwritten letter and photos for people to read on their tablets/print it - should that be what they want.
    I love writing letters so although this is a bit time consuming, I enjoy making it each month.

If you are interested, here's the website for the LETTER: http://holgerferoudj.com/real-letter

This is a bit embarrassing because it feels like shameless self-promotion although I just joined, so sorry about that. It is written with a fountain pen, though, so not totally unrelated, haha -_-

Edit: I looked up the URL for the archive, so you don't have to subscribe to anything if you don't want to and can still look at it. Started including the scans of the handwritten letters from #03 - which I wrote with a dip pen in Spencarian/Roundhand/Copperplate whichever it is. The direct link to that letter is here: THE LETTER #03
    Turned out to be more time intensive than I can afford each month, so I switched to fountain pen after that one. In less busy times I want to write it using the dip pen again, though (or with a fountain pen with a nice flex nib, should I have one by then!)
    Last edited by 7188photo; July 15th, 2014 at 03:05 AM. Reason: added link

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7188photo For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 15th, 2014)

Thanks

That is really awesome, thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Hi 7188photo & a belated welcome to the forum.
    Your website looks fascinating. I was intrigued by your business card design which took me a while to realise it was HF turned 90degrees especially when looking at ones with the masked photos.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

7188photo (July 16th, 2014)

Thanks

caribbean_skye: Thanks so much for checking it out - very happy you liked it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Hi 7188photo & a belated welcome to the forum.
    Your website looks fascinating. I was intrigued by your business card design which took me a while to realise it was HF turned 90degrees especially when looking at ones with the masked photos.

Hey there! Thanks for the warm welcome and for having a look on my site!
    After I made the cards I realized that even on the card, which is easy to turn in your hands into the HF orientation, it's kind of hard to make out the HF. When re-printing, I might change the orientation of the text (my name) under the symbol. At first I thought no one would read that as 生 - therefore the normal text as a hint as to how the card should be held. However, most people make out the 生 now, but no one the HF, haha

Do you know Japanese/Chinese??

Thanks

Welcome, Holger! I really like your photography and will probably be a regular on your website from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62 View Post
    Welcome...and don't worry. Non-consensual biting is frowned on 'round these parts. :P
    Since when?!
    My adventures in leatherwork (partly in English)

Thanks

Thank you Polyhistor! Feel free to subscribe - because there won't be more activity than max. once a month :P

Had a look at your site, as well, and absolutely love the leather works you are making! This is amazing, I followed some of your Pinterest boards. Love beautiful leather items like that! How come you're so good at it? Did you actually learn it as a profession, or did you teach yourself?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 7188photo For This Useful Post:

Polyhistor (July 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Had to follow you back over on Pinterest. ;-)

Glad you like my leather stuff. It started as a hobby and now I'm working to get a little shop and website running. I never had any formal training, just books and YouTube. But my skills are really nothing in comparison to those of some people over on leatherworker.com.

Thanks

Well, I don't know much about leatherwork, but whether what you are making requires much skill or not (I'd guess it DOES require skill), it looks beautiful and that's what counts. Did you ever think about making camera covers? There is this very famous Italian guy making leather camera covers that people all over the world are crazy about. His website is at http://www.leicatime.com - it's a terrible website, but I'd be interested in what someone who knows about leatherwork thinks of that. He's selling these covers like "warme Semmel" - as we like to say

Thanks

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

7188photo (July 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Well, I don't know much about leatherwork, but whether what you are making requires much skill or not (I'd guess it DOES require skill), it looks beautiful and that's what counts. Did you ever think about making camera covers? There is this very famous Italian guy making leather camera covers that people all over the world are crazy about. His website is at http://www.leicatime.com - it's a terrible website, but I'd be interested in what someone who knows about leatherwork thinks of that. He's selling these covers like "warme Semmel" - as we like to say
    I've seen Leicatime before and the Semmeln look fresh and crunchy – he does marvellous work! Clean stitching as well as attention to details, judging from the pics. (And the website has gotten even worse, since I've been looking at it the last time. )

Camera covers would be interesting to do, but they would not really be paying off for me. I don't have access to high-quality cameras in order to make accurate patterns. And if a badly designed cover doesn't properly fit or even decreases the usability of the camera, it's not worth having – or making ... And besides that, I'm actually not legaly allowed to sell cases or covers since I'm not by trade a saddler or bag-maker. So I'm actually kind of a Pirate, harr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polyhistor View Post
    Camera covers would be interesting to do, but they would not really be paying off for me. I don't have access to high-quality cameras in order to make accurate patterns. And if a badly designed cover doesn't properly fit or even decreases the usability of the camera, it's not worth having – or making ... And besides that, I'm actually not legaly allowed to sell cases or covers since I'm not by trade a saddler or bag-maker. So I'm actually kind of a Pirate, harr.
    Interesting, I never knew you had to have a licence to sell cases - sounds complicated Anyway, I agree: If a camera cover doesn't fit, there's no use for it. Oh well, it's just a thing that came to my mind when I saw your beautiful leather works

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polyhistor View Post
    Interesting, I never knew you had to have a licence to sell cases - sounds complicated Anyway, I agree: If a camera cover doesn't fit, there's no use for it. Oh well, it's just a thing that came to my mind when I saw your beautiful leather works
    In Austria, everything is complicated. Someday I may have to migrate to Nihon, too. How do you like life in Tokyo? It must be Stationery Heaven!