Thread: having multiple brands that look the same?

Thanks

Default having multiple brands that look the same?

I currently have a montblanc 146 in platinum trim. I want to add a sailor 1911 large with a music nib and a platinum president to my collection. Problem being the platinum i want is the blue with rhodium trim and sailor is matte black rhodium. The platium is no longer made, and only pace i can find for the matte sailor with music nib is overpriced.

With this in mind i could just get both black with rhodium trim, but tbey would match my 146. What sayeth the people. Is it ok to have 3 different brands almost identical or should i really try to find the ones i want and overpay?
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.
    Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Thanks

Default Re: having multiple brands that look the same?

The thing about collecting is, it's your collection, what you say goes. So, having said that, if you feel like it's ok to have 3 identical pens, then it is. I know lots of people collect pens based on brand, colour, editions, age, filling system. The sky's the limit.

For example, my collection is unfocused at the moment, as I'm still discovering new pens all the time and haven't landed on a type I like more than others. But, there is a prevailing blueness to all my collection, because given colour options I go for blue every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

It's your collection. :P

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Geez. Do what you want, what others think is irrelevant.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Unless you're married to that other person and seeking justification. :P

Thanks

Problem is I dont know what I want lol. I am talking with a shop about getting the platinum in blue with rhodium, lets see how that goes.

My pilot 912 fa nib came in today and it is black and rhodium, but a different shape, so all is well.

One positive if they all look alike is my wife wont know I have more than one as she doesnt really pay attention to my pens, just what they look like when they are in my hand.
    Last edited by tarheel1; July 15th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
    WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel1 View Post
    Problem is I dont know what I want lol. I am talking with a shop about getting the platinum in blue with rhodium, lets see how that goes.

My pilot 912 fa nib came in today and it is black and rhodium, but a different shape, so all is well.
    There's no wrong answer here outside of robbing someone for such a desire. I was basically on a small binge of pen buying before I kind of oriented a direction for the kind of pens I like or at the very least the kind of nib I like.

IF it makes you feel better this is my collection so you can *kind* of see the randomness to it, though I don't own anything quite as pricey as a Montblanc 14x.

Cheap Chinese Pens:
    Jinhao 159 + Goulet 2-tone Medium Steel Nib (had one more of these and sold it)
    Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands + Black-coated Monteverde Fine Steel Nib (had 8 of these, sold/gave most of them)
    Jinhao X450 (Dark Green Marble) + Stock Jinhao Medium Steel Nib (Plus Matching Rollerball X450) (had 2 X450s before this)
    Jinhao 599 (Lime Green, Metal) + Stock Steel Fine Nib
    Uranus 301-KSF (By Duke) blue/silver with steel medium nib
    (Had about 10x more various Chinese brands that I've given away)

Sheaffers:
    Sheaffer Reaktor x3
    Sheaffer Skripsert(or stylepoint CA)
    Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral (1953) in Black with 14K Gold Medium Nib
    Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral (1951) in Evergreen Green with 14K Gold Feathertouch (platinum coated) Accouting/Extra-Fine Nib
    Sheaffer Craftsman (1947-1949) in Persian Blue with a 14K Gold #33 extra-fine Nib

Sheaffer Lady Balance in Carmine Striated Red with 14K Gold Feathertouch Medium Nib

Pilot:
    Pilot 78G (green) with Broad Stub Steel Nib (sold my extra 78G/Teal with medium nib)
    Pilot Metropolitan Bronze Lizard w/ Medium Steel nib
    Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile w/ Fine Steel nib
    Pilot Elite "Big Cap" (late 70s, Korean Made) with a steel Extra-Fine nib
    Pilot Elite Mini (1970s) with 18K Gold Soft Fine nib
    Pilot Falcon (Black + Rhodium) with 14K Gold Soft Fine nib

Platinum:
    Platinum PTL-5000 (Black/Gold) with a Makie Aftermarket Paint Job with 14K gold extra-fine nib
    Platinum Century 3776 (Black/Gold) with 14K Gold Soft Fine nib

Misc:
    1958 Ultra (Italian import, store brand) with gold/black crossweave and gold hooded fine nib
    Serwex Special 101 eye droppers x2
    Faber-Castell BASIC (Leather) with Steel Fine nib
    Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator with Goulet 1.5 Stub nib
    Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (1st version) with a Goulet 2-tone Extra-Fine nib
    Montblanc No.225 (Piston) with 14K Gold+Platinum Coated extra-fine nib

:P Now don't you feel more 'organized' ?

One positive if they all look alike is my wife wont know I have more than one as she doesnt really pay attention to my pens, just what they look like when they are in my hand.
    Called It!

PS: Maybe you should get her one?
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 15th, 2014 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks

She doesnt like fountain pens. When i offered to buy here a nice rollerball that uses bottled ink she said she doesnt need or want a fancy pen. That it is my hobby and we dont have to like the same things

Thanks

She doesnt like fountain pens. When i offered to buy here a nice rollerball that uses bottled ink she said she doesnt need or want a fancy pen. That it is my hobby and we dont have to like the same things
    Well least you tried, and least you know what's not for her. My only point is, you shouldn't have to fear her reaction to your hobby if she's equally involved in her own hobby. Also buying into a specific type of collection partly as a means to deceive her to your spending isn't usually a good idea either. But if the problem is financial (ie: considered risky spending), then it just means your collection won't grow as fast as you desire.

I'd imagine from a collector's standpoint, it doesn't really matter if the pens appear the same or not, since everyone can be slightly different either from usage or when it was made, but I would never build a collection solely based on how easily I could hide it, as that would end up being the dominating theme, and would give me a negative vibe of the collection itself.

Thanks

That was mostly meant as a joke. I try te be financially responsible and limit myself to so much fun money a month, but she doesnt have to know what i spend my fun money just as i dont have to know what she does. I agree with her having a hobie and i have tried to encourage it. She said she loves photograph and wants to do it, so i bought her a very nice nikon d5100 and lenses. Offered to buy her lessons, but it just sits in the closet. Is like that with everything she says she is interested in.

Thanks

I say flip a coin, if you're disappointed you flipped wrong.

Thanks

Update is i was able to find the platinum president in blue and rhodium, well a place that can order it.

Thanks

I was enjoying this tread until #8 and remembered that my significant other asked if it would be OK to reuse my 1940's Library Table in the kitchen last week.
    Possible problem is that the table had a my good pen collection and other items in the table's drawer!!! Have 5hrs until I can check if everything is still there
    Not good!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnus View Post
    I was enjoying this tread until #8 and remembered that my significant other asked if it would be OK to reuse my 1940's Library Table in the kitchen last week.
    Possible problem is that the table had a my good pen collection and other items in the table's drawer!!! Have 5hrs until I can check if everything is still there
    Not good!
    And????? Don't keep us in suspense!!