Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Eversharp Navy Blue Skyline Demi (Red/Green Derby Cap)

Thanks

Default Re: My Eversharp Navy Blue Skyline Demi (Red/Green Derby Cap)

What a beautiful pen. I'm so jealous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

What kind of a nib does it have on it? Did you get a writing sample, or have you had a chance to ink it up and give it a try?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    David Nishimura has one for sale in his Eversharp catalog. He calls it an "uncommon Army-Navy configuration."
    Yo! Now this is some good info! I've posted a question where he might see it, too. Thanks, Reprieve.
    I'm curious to find out more. If he answers (or if you get any other info), I hope you will post it here as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    What kind of a nib does it have on it? Did you get a writing sample, or have you had a chance to ink it up and give it a try?
    It's an Eversharp Banner Nib. 14K Gold, writes somewhere around a western fine (with Akkerman Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo, which I only had so much left in the bottom of the sample vial), using Monteverde/Faber-Castell Fine (and Pilot Medium) and Goulet Extra-Fine as a point of reference.

Initially I was thinking in between a western EF and F. A did an initial sample between some of my vintage pens here (before I tuned up the Sheaffer Lady Balance some).

Then my latest writing sample later in the day basically cataloging all the pens I have inked here (with the sheaffer lady balance finally tuned up and using noodler's blue steel... which it does well with) on some Staple's Arc paper (for their disc-based Arc notebooks).

Currently the Eversharp is not inked as I just had a tiny bit of Oost-indigo left and debating what else to ink it with, I got a tote to pick from...

If I pick one I'll try to get a dedicated write sample scanned.

Edit the tub contains :
    Sample List
    Akkerman #3 Blauw 2ml
    Akkerman #4 Nassaus Blauw 2ml
    Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue 1ml
    Akkerman #6 Binnehof Blues 3ml
    Akkerman #9 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo 1ml
    Akkerman #13 Simplisties Violet 2ml
    Blue Amber 8% 1.5ml
    Callifolio Baikal 4ml
    Caran d'Ache Electric Orange 11ml
    Caran d'Ache Hypnotic Turquoise 6ml
    De Atramentis Apple Blossom 2ml
    De Atramentis Atlantic Blue 2ml
    De Atramentis Red Brown 2ml
    Delta Black 2ml
    Diamine Maroon 2ml
    Diamine Poppy Red 2ml
    Diamine Presidential Blue 2ml
    Diamine Royal Blue 2ml
    Diamine Salamander 2ml
    Diamine Turquoise 1ml
    Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo 2ml ("T" on cap)
    Iroshizuku Tsutsuji 1.5ml
    J.Herbin 1670 Ocean Bleu 1ml
    Kaweco Royal Blue 2ml
    Kaweco Midnight Blue 1.5ml
    Noodler's Blue-Black 3ml
    Noodler's Sequioa Green 1ml
    Montblanc Royal Blue 2.5ml
    Omas Red 2ml (more of a light pink...)
    Pelikan Aventurine 2ml
    Pelikan Violet 2ml
    Private Reserve Buttercup 2ml
    Private Reserve Ebony Brown 2ml
    Private Reserve Shoreline Gold 2ml
    Private Reserve Spearmint(w/ Flow enhancer) 3ml
    Platinum Blue-Black 2ml
    Platinum Earth Brown 4ml
    Platinum Leaf Green 2ml
    R&K Helianthus 3ml
    R&K Salix 1ml
    Sheaffer Red 2ml
    Thistle (unknown brand) 1.5ml
    50/50 mix N.Black Eel + D.Eclipse 3ml

Some bottles (most around 50-80% full, some sample vials set aside for filling from them)
    Noodler's Texas Blue Steel 90ml
    Noodler's Black Eel 90ml
    Noodler's Liberty Elysium 90ml bottle (pending store exchange)
    Diamine Eclipse 80m
    Diamine Grey 30ml
    Diamine Syrah 30ml
    Diamine Saddle Brown 30ml
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 18th, 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

The red, whitish and blue pen was a standard model in the late war years and a little beyond. There are a few Saturday Evening Post advertisements showing this pen from that time frame, and if memory serves a Walt Disney endorsement Advertisement showing this pen in his hands. The color in the ads is more definitely red white and blue. Aging plastic on the cap has yellowed/browned/greened out the white on most of the survivors, so it may not look like the pen in the ads, but it is. This red white and blue pen was an all purpose patriotic pen without allegiance to any one service. There were separate Army and Navy pens made in Blue and gold and Brown and Gold too. The government bought a very large quantity for Skyline pens for servicemen/women during the war. It is not known how many were sold to the government nor how many were issue or sold in government military stores aboard ship or at bases, camps and training facilities. Also, if memory serves me tonight, the pen in question bright work should be gold filled and not gold plated.
    Syd

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wahlnut For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (July 20th, 2014), Jon Szanto (July 20th, 2014), KBeezie (July 20th, 2014), reprieve (July 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Thanks, Syd. I consider your take on this pretty definitive, and a great bit of info to have. Looking forward to seeing you in SF in a few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by wahlnut View Post
    The red, whitish and blue pen was a standard model in the late war years and a little beyond. There are a few Saturday Evening Post advertisements showing this pen from that time frame, and if memory serves a Walt Disney endorsement Advertisement showing this pen in his hands. The color in the ads is more definitely red white and blue. Aging plastic on the cap has yellowed/browned/greened out the white on most of the survivors, so it may not look like the pen in the ads, but it is. This red white and blue pen was an all purpose patriotic pen without allegiance to any one service. There were separate Army and Navy pens made in Blue and gold and Brown and Gold too. The government bought a very large quantity for Skyline pens for servicemen/women during the war. It is not known how many were sold to the government nor how many were issue or sold in government military stores aboard ship or at bases, camps and training facilities. Also, if memory serves me tonight, the pen in question bright work should be gold filled and not gold plated.
    Syd
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Syd

Thanks for that information. It makes sense,and I could certainly see that white aging to a color like that, makes me wonder what the color scheme would have looked like in person.

If I were to quote you on this information (since there's not much to go around in particular), what name/website would I link to for credit?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Syd

Thanks for that information. It makes sense,and I could certainly see that white aging to a color like that, makes me wonder what the color scheme would have looked like in person.

If I were to quote you on this information (since there's not much to go around in particular), what name/website would I link to for credit?
    LOL... The Owner of Wahl~Eversharp Co. Thats the one and only Syd Saperstein providing the info. www.WahlEversharp.com

Thanks

Yep. That's me
    Syd "The Wahlnut" Saperstein
    www.pensburymanor.com (Vintage)
    www.wahleversharp.com (New)

And Yep, see you in San Francisco, Jon. Carey, you oughta take off a few days and drive down too.
    Syd

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wahlnut For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 21st, 2014), KBeezie (July 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    LOL... The Owner of Wahl~Eversharp Co. Thats the one and only Syd Saperstein providing the info. www.WahlEversharp.com
    :P Considering this is my first ever Eversharp pen... it's not like I was expected to know that (in regards to "LOL"). Thanks for the detailed information.

I'm curious to find pictures of those advertisements showing the 'patriotic' design, would be awesome to find that specific ad/flyer/page one on ebay or something (or at least a nice replica that can be framed).
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 21st, 2014 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Considering this is my first ever Eversharp pen... it's not like I was expected to know that. Thanks for the detailed information.
    Stick around. We're happy to help. It's moments like these that I hold back until I have pretty good info before I offer up Authoritative Information - there is always the chance that one of the Real Deal people are around.

If this is your first introduction to Syd, I really urge you to check out the website. What Mr. Saperstein has done to not only resurrect a venerable brand, but offer up new variations and improvements, is something not short of remarkable. Karl, you've gotten yourself a wonderful older pen. Take a look at the new trajectory of that pen, living once again in our times. This is good stuff!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (July 26th, 2014)

Thanks

I inked it up with Noodler's Liberty Elysium. It seemed fitting given the history Syd described.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 26th, 2014)