Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Eversharp Navy Blue Skyline Demi (Red/Green Derby Cap)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Talking My Eversharp Navy Blue Skyline Demi (Red/Green Derby Cap)

Just received my Eversharp Skyline Demi in a deep navy blue, with the center of the cap covered in a red+green striated celluloid and derby style top (which is also navy blue) and a wide cap band. I don't know if there's an exact year on it, just that it's going to be somewhere in between 1941 and 1950.

Some pictures, click to enlarge them to the 1280x960 copy.

I'm still trying to decide on which ink to put into it. Bought this one off Sean (he has quite a few more), I was tempted to go with the honey colored cap one, but it was already spoken for, and it was hard to decide between this one or one of the larger solid navy blue ones.

Last edited by KBeezie; July 17th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (July 17th, 2014), Jeph (July 17th, 2014), Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2014), RuiFromUK (July 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: My Eversharp Navy Blue Skyline Demi (Red/Green Derby Cap)

That's an unusual color combination. I wonder if that was really a catalog offering, or a Frankenpen? These are all such good pens! The nibs are great, no matter whether you want a nail or a flex (you can find both), and they seem to have used a higher grade of plating on the hardware, as it always seems to clean up very nicely. Have fun.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    That's an unusual color combination. I wonder if that was really a catalog offering, or a Frankenpen?
    Looks legit to me (solid barrel color matches derby), but it is an interesting color scheme, to be sure. There's a lot more contrast there than the same pen with the burgundy barrel and derby. I guess black goes with anything, and navy blue with almost anything.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

That's an unusual color combination. I wonder if that was really a catalog offering, or a Frankenpen? These are all such good pens! The nibs are great, no matter whether you want a nail or a flex (you can find both), and they seem to have used a higher grade of plating on the hardware, as it always seems to clean up very nicely. Have fun.
    A decent number of the Skylines are the same way, solid color bodies with solid color at the tip of the cap, with striated celluloid in between.

As I understand it the 'wide band' caps aren't that common.

Also for it to be a frakenpen it would have to be a mix-n-match of different brands or different models. Because even around the top of the cap it says Eversharp Skyline Made in USA, the rest of the pen is clearly a Skyline Demi.
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 17th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks

That wasn't what I meant, I know striped cap / solid barrel. I meant the blue derby/barrel with red/green cap body. Since those are all separate parts, they can be mixed, and I had not seen that combo, and am wondering if it a rare variant or a mashup.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

That wasn't what I meant, I know striped cap / solid barrel. I meant the blue derby/barrel with red/green cap body. Since those are all separate parts, they can be mixed, and I had not seen that combo, and am wondering if it a rare variant or a mashup.
    According to the seller (Sean Nicholson) it's more than like a special order.

You can see the rest of his collection on this post
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...630464.&type=1

The one I purchased was the 6th one from the right. Initially I was going to try to grab the second one from the left (brownish body with a honey striated celluloid cap), but that was already reserved.

Personally I think the color scheme is rather stunning especially on deep navy blue when you got enough light to see the blue.

Far as being made originally like that, the dome on top of the cap is a perfect match in color to the rest of the pen, so I'm pretty sure they were made to go together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Yeah, Karl, I know these pens, and it isn't surprising that the derby and barrel match well. It is more a matter if that striped cap was part of the original pen, or if it was a 'new' combination. Just a curiosity for me, and part of pen history.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Yeah, Karl, I know these pens, and it isn't surprising that the derby and barrel match well. It is more a matter if that striped cap was part of the original pen, or if it was a 'new' combination. Just a curiosity for me, and part of pen history.
    You mean the celluloid stripping being a part of the skyline line in general (when the whole pen isn't a celluloid mix)?

Only info I could find showing a lot of the offerings is off this page, of which both the navy blue and the red/green striated celluloid are listed.
    http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re...es/skyline.htm

It's certainly one of my shorter pens...

Note to self: don't wear stripped shirts when taking pen pics.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

penultress (August 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

I am trying to be very clear about all this, but I am failing.

Yes, I know Richard's page, and I know all those colors.

Solid color barrel pens could have either a cap and derby in the same solid color, or caps with many possibilities, including a matching derby with gold cap, gold cap with gold derby, and so on. For the pens that included a striped cap body with a solid color derby, I thought they paired the stripe color with the solid color in combinations that were aesthetically pleasing. I find it surprising to see something red/green mixed with something blue, and don't think I've seen that before. This means nothing, because it may have come from the factory that way and I just never saw an example.

But, as I said, these caps come apart into pieces, and it is a complete possibility to mix parts from different pens. I'm curious to know if this is the case here, or if there is a factory color combination that I was heretofore unaware of.

I hope that is clear. I can't do any better.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I am trying to be very clear about all this, but I am failing.

Yes, I know Richard's page, and I know all those colors.

Solid color barrel pens could have either a cap and derby in the same solid color, or caps with many possibilities, including a matching derby with gold cap, gold cap with gold derby, and so on. For the pens that included a striped cap body with a solid color derby, I thought they paired the stripe color with the solid color in combinations that were aesthetically pleasing. I find it surprising to see something red/green mixed with something blue, and don't think I've seen that before. This means nothing, because it may have come from the factory that way and I just never saw an example.

But, as I said, these caps come apart into pieces, and it is a complete possibility to mix parts from different pens. I'm curious to know if this is the case here, or if there is a factory color combination that I was heretofore unaware of.

I hope that is clear. I can't do any better.
    Oh yea I couldn't say with any certainty, best assumption is a special order from the manufacture as I've seen that done with a few brands (ie: Sheaffer) but I don't know enough about Eversharp to say one way or another. And it's not like they have a catalog out there to say that only these colors will be paired with these cap inserts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    And it's not like they have a catalog out there to say that only these colors will be paired with these cap inserts.
    Well... that's not an assumption I'm willing to make. I'm interested in how the pens were normally sent out. Everything else is a little beside the point with that beautiful wide band!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

And it's not like they have a catalog out there to say that only these colors will be paired with these cap inserts.
    Well... that's not an assumption I'm willing to make. I'm interested in how the pens were normally sent out. Everything else is a little beside the point with that beautiful wide band!
    But I thought you "Knew" these pens?

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Could it not be an off catalog model? Sheaffer has a lot of those. Wahl could, too.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

David Nishimura has one for sale in his Eversharp catalog. He calls it an "uncommon Army-Navy configuration."

Thanks

But I thought you "Knew" these pens?
    I meant that I knew all the various colors, as you mentioned listed on Richard's site. But very poorly communicated on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    Could it not be an off catalog model? Sheaffer has a lot of those. Wahl could, too.
    Yes, this is what I was wondering about, the provenance of this pen.

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    David Nishimura has one for sale in his Eversharp catalog. He calls it an "uncommon Army-Navy configuration."
    Yo! Now this is some good info! I've posted a question where he might see it, too. Thanks, Reprieve.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

That's a beautiful pen. The colors are awesome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I noticed that one has the name on the wide band where as mine does not, it's just clean all the way around. If the one pictured there is "fine" condition, then mine must be "like new"/"excellent".

Have you seen any other site, seller, retailer, catalog mention it as an "Army-Navy" configuration, or just that online catalog?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    There's a lot more contrast there than the same pen with the burgundy barrel and derby.
    Indeed. I have that precise pen, in the demi size. I like Karl's pen!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I noticed that one has the name on the wide band where as mine does not, it's just clean all the way around.
    It looks like an engraving (personalization), not a brand. I always value the clean models over anything with a name engraved on. Yours is pristine.

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (July 17th, 2014)

Thanks

I noticed that one has the name on the wide band where as mine does not, it's just clean all the way around.
    It looks like an engraving (personalization), not a brand. I always value the clean models over anything with a name engraved on. Yours is pristine.
    That would make sense, especially if you wanted to put in an order for the shop or jeweler to personalize that band for you. On a brand new pen I could see that being a popular 'gifting' option, but knowing now what some people didn't consider back then, the collectors among us wouldn't have that done. (Though I wouldn't mind doing it if I intended to make it a family heirloom where the value is more sentimental than it is monetary).

It's probably only pristine because Sean made it that way. I'm not sure what state it was in when he originally purchased it for himself (he mentioned that this particular skyline was his most beautiful).

I'm still kind of surprised that one catalog is selling the less-than-pristine version for $150 when I paid $100 for mine (he's selling his standards for $100, and Demis for $80, with the exception of the one I purchased). All of them should be in about the same condition as the one I got.