Thread: Paper / Pen / Ink combo for a lefty?

Thanks

Default Paper / Pen / Ink combo for a lefty?

Hi FPGeeks! I'm looking to get a gift set for a friend of a journal, pen, and ink (and spend less than $100). She is a lefty with messy handwriting so I've considered the Lamy left handed nib, but I think the paper and ink are just as if not more important (I think the dry time on my favorite tomoe river paper would be too long for a lefty and ink would be easily smeared). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: Paper / Pen / Ink combo for a lefty?

As a lefty I find the left handed nibs irrelevant.

Go with a finer nib and you'll be rocking.

Fast-drying inks I've used and can recommend: the Noodlers Bernanke inks. These are prone to feathering so get a nice coated paper (i.e. Rhodia) to pair with these. Waterman Habana Brown (AKA Absolute brown) dries quickly for me also.

Check out the Write & Co notepads. They have lefty-friendly journals (full disclosure: I had beers with the founder on thursday) and their paper is a tad more absorbent than the coated Europen and Japanese papers.

I'd recommend a Japanese Fine pen. There are some cool finds on Jetpens including the Pilot Prera if you want a pocket-sized pen. Oddly enough there's not a ton in the Pilot line in the $50-80 range.

hope that helps, good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

bec11mort (July 19th, 2014)

Thanks

Lefty nibs help only certain hand positions.
    Make sure you get the convertor too :-)
    http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Metr..._p/pn91111.htm

And
    http://www.gouletpens.com/Private_Re...st-Drying=1303
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

johnus (July 19th, 2014)

Thanks

As a left handed writer I use MontBlanc inks and Caran D'Ache organic brown on Tomoe River and it seems to work if I avoid double broad nibs. The éclat de saphir is also not too bad from J Herbin. I also like 54th Massachusetts from Noodlers but find it a hard starting ink. As for a pen the Franklin Christoph Piper is not too expensive, the Pilot Prera is nice but so is Kaweco pens and there is always the TWSBI stuff.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Also a left-hander, here, but with just a word about the nib: yes, a fine nib will put less ink down, and therefore (should) dry faster. Just make sure it is a very smooth nib, though! Unlike writing from the right, a left-hander tends to push the pen across the page, both in upward strokes and in the left-right stroke. A fine point nib that catches on the paper or digs in because of roughness can turn one of us off of fountain pens *real* quick.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Mags (July 24th, 2014)