Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bag

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Default Re: Custom Bag

This custom bag thread may run for some time here is the next project after the last one I showed omg that sounds confusing doesn't it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141435936296

I could not resist I need to get well soon as I am spending a fortune I now have four bags of different styles and sizes waiting for attention

Thanks

A great find, Micheal! Feel better!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

MY63 (October 16th, 2014)

Thanks

This little bag has now arrived and some of the stitching has snapped around the top of the sides I don't know if all of the pictures are there I will post more when I am ready to start work on this case.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RE...vip=true&rt=nc

I am not sure how far to take this one

Option one wax and polish and repair stitching where required

Option two cut out all stitching and re sew wax and polish

Option three cut out the stitching and re sew line in an outrageous material wax and polish.

It is large enough to take a medium size laptop computer and A4 size notebooks but not much more
    does anyone have any thoughts

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

I need to get some more books on leather restoration

Look what arrived today

IMG_8828 by my0771, on Flickr

At this point I have removed the inner lining which the seller told me she had replaced herself many years ago

IMG_8831 by my0771, on Flickr

it is in a really bad state but the lock is a stunner although there is no key but I should be able to resolve that

IMG_8829 by my0771, on Flickr

There is a large tear in one side and the original straps are missing, all of the seams are blown and the strengthening card has broken down,
    It is larger than I thought more of an overnight bag than a brief case it actually weighs 3 kg on its own.
    I think there is a good chance that some of the leather (a lot) may have to be replaced, the lock and closing mechanism are worth much more than I paid for the whole bag.

And just to make matters worse I bought another case yesterday but it is in much better condition (I hope) I have given an assurance that all of these bags are not staying here and will be finding homes at some point it seems that bags fall into the same category as writing slopes and are not a separate collectable.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

Back to the current project things don't always work out perfectly I had left the handle as one of the final jobs to be done.

There is a hint there yes it is nearly finished in fact I had hoped to finish it today however when I unpicked the stitching on the handle it feel apart.

IMG_8863_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Vegetable tanned leather can be shaped when wet and will hold the shape when dry it will form to almost any shape eventually it just takes a long time.

I still need to alter the colour to match the outside of bag

Thanks for looking
    Michael

Thanks

Trimmed and dyed to match the rest of the case

IMG_8870_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I wish I had removed all of the stitching right at the start,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (October 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

These are my final pictures of this project it just needs a final polish and check over before being sent to its owner

The original commission was to take a vintage bag and restore it to useable condition and add pockets for a mac book in a case and an ipad in a case, One of the main concerns was that the stitching would be secure and last.

IMG_8877_1 by my0771, on Flickr

With this in mind I decided to remove all of the old stitching and take the bag apart which allowed me to line the whole of the interior in suede.

The original dividers were not high enough so I replaced them with Kydex sheets wrapped in leather.

IMG_8879_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I had left the handle to the end and of course it fell to pieces as soon as I started to remove the thread so I spent most of yesterday carrying out repairs I applied the brown dye last night but the colour looks ok to me.

IMG_8887_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have bought three more bags the final one arrived today so watch out for more projects soon

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

da vinci (October 28th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Fantastic!
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

12. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

MY63 (October 25th, 2014)

Thanks

I think this may be the next bag project my initial thoughts were to keep it simple and just clean it and repair the stitching and return it to auction

IMG_8839 by my0771, on Flickr

I have tested the thread in various areas and it is worn out and snaps easily so I have decided to replace all of the thread.
    The next decision is the interior either leave it alone or line it in suede or leather.

I have seen the same bags with a buy it now price of £150 they have been polished (and ruined in my opinion) to a gloss finish I would like the finished item to be well below that figure

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them

Michael

Thanks

The restored bag is now with its new owner and I have had some really positive feedback over on fpn.

I plan on cutting the old stitching out of the next project today.

Thanks

I have not been able to find the time to start the bag mentioned above,
    However I bought this at a local market today

IMG_8954 by my0771, on Flickr

When looking for a universal measurement system to replace those pesky inches or cm s, In the UK we often compare things to the size of a double decker bus or a football pitch now not everyone will have one of these handy for comparison so I settled on the trusty iPad.

IMG_8955 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_8957 by my0771, on Flickr

The iPad will lie flat in the bottom but will not stand upright an iPad mini would fit but my daughter won't allow me to put it in a dirty horrible old bag

IMG_8959 by my0771, on Flickr

The handle is in a mess most of the leather is missing from the top of the closing mechanism and the interior is shot so is the stitching.
    All it needs is a new interior new thread and some new leather but other than that it is fine
    Thanks for looking
    Michael

Thanks

i visited my supplier today and took the little bag with me they advised me not to take the bag apart as it will be very difficult to sew it back together so for now I have smothered it in mink oil to feed the leather and soften it.

I have turned my attention back to the small pendragon bag yes there is a large pendragon bag in black but I will come back to that later, whilst at the supplier I was shown some fantastic red suede so I splashed out on a piece large enough to line the smaller bag.
    The gusset piece is thinner than the main body leather and is in really bad condition so much so I put my finger through it yesterday so it will require replacement.

I am taking the same approach with bags as I do with writing slopes in doing what is necessary to make them usable not as new or artificially shinny the outside will look like a bag in good condition, the inside on the other hand I want to make my mark it is going to be red suede and the stitching will be red as my supply of ritza 25 has arrived.
    This bag is around 50 years old and I expect it to last for at least another 50 years
    Thanks for looking
    Michael

Thanks

My run of bad luck is continuing I found out yesterday that after a fall last week I have fractured my clavicle on my good side.
    I tried to unpick some stitching last night with my left arm in a sling what a laugh.
    So my plans of having a stock pile of items to sell in December may not happen I might have a sale in January instead

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

writingrav (November 13th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    My run of bad luck is continuing I found out yesterday that after a fall last week I have fractured my clavicle on my good side.
    I tried to unpick some stitching last night with my left arm in a sling what a laugh.
    So my plans of having a stock pile of items to sell in December may not happen I might have a sale in January instead
    Feel better soon!
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

20. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

MY63 (November 13th, 2014)

Thanks

Get well soon!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to alc3261 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I am wishing you a speedy recovery and hope that you feel better soon. Think of it as a new year sale

24. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Custom Bag

Well poo on your daughter! I would have let you put my iPad mini in that bag...I might not have returned it though!

Feel better soon!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GiGi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all for the good wishes the fracture is stable and has started to heal I cant shrug my shoulders or scratch my head but I am just going to do what I can.

I have stripped the bag to its components I think this bag is going to be fantastic the red suede is a lovely colour I want to sew it back together now.

IMG_8990_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_8991_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_8988_1 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the gusset piece it joins the front back and middle sections and it is the only piece of the bag that is unusable as it happens I have a suitable hide from which I will cut a replacement.

IMG_8987_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have cleaned this bag already but now it is in pieces I will clean it again before I start to re assemble the bag.

Don't worry GiGi these bags will all be coming up for sale as I need to make some room for other projects the little bag is next in line to be stripped I have not found replacement rivets as yet but I am sure that I will come up with a way of putting it back together.

Thanks again

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; November 13th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (November 13th, 2014)

Thanks

I am improving every day so I have started doing little bits now and then over the last few days I have stuck the red suede to the inside of the briefcase

IMG_9043_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The old gusset piece fell apart in my hands so I have made a new piece I have tried to match the colour I think it was saddle tan.

IMG_9040_1 by my0771, on Flickr

My daughter wanted a new bag for college as her existing bag had fallen apart I mentioned I had seen some bright yellow leather at the suppliers it is apparently Pikachu yellow so at some point we may be adding ears !!

IMG_9044_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_9045_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 28th, 2014)

Thanks

Good to hear you are feeling better

Outstanding craftsmanship as usual

Carl
    Cw