Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bag

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Default Re: Custom Bag

Hi Elaineb

Once the veg tanned leather is soaked the hard leather becomes very soft and it is very easy to turn the right way around, it will not tear but it will pick up marks from finger nails or any thing else so you have to be careful.
    You need to keep it in the shape you require as it dries because once dry it will be fixed in that shape
    The bag is not fully dry yet so I am leaving it to dry fully before I decide which areas have not turned out well, I can re wet those areas to get them the way I want them.

This is a very simple lock it has a single plate (lever) that moves up and down it is called a single lever lock more complicated locks have more levers 5 is the number of levers in a high security lock in the UK,
    Fitted in the lever is a small spring which is essential it is on the right in this picture the lock is open

IMG_9787_1 by my0771, on Flickr

In the second picture you can see the key and the lever is in the locked position

IMG_9788_1 by my0771, on Flickr

In the third picture you can see the whole lock together but inside out so you can see how it works the two silver pins are moved in and out when the two buttons are squeezed on the other side when in the locked position the lever stops any movement.

IMG_9790_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Here is a picture in the locked position

IMG_9789_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; March 20th, 2015 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks

I have learned another important lesson this week, I made templates for the cardboard pieces that line the inside of the bag which are then wrapped in suede and glued in place.
    So what I have learned is that does not work the dimensions of the bag have changed and my templates were no good so I had to start again

IMG_9804_1 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see from the picture I have re made all of the pieces and they are ready to be wrapped in suede.
    I managed to track down some rivets for the metal work which I am rubbing down ready to re paint it, I was unhappy with the finish of the brush on enamel paint so will be getting some spray on paint tomorrow.

Thanks

last night and this morning I spent some time preparing the metal work for this bag for spraying

IMG_9807_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_9810_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The paint is still wet these pictures were taken a few minutes after the second coat was applied I intend to apply another two coats weather permitting !

Thanks for looking

Michael

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 27th, 2015)

Thanks

I have fitted the side and end panels into the bag now and it holds its shape really well

IMG_9815_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Unfortunately the metal work I sprayed yesterday is still a little tacky and I noticed a run in the paint this morning so I will need to do a little more work on that.

Regular readers will remember I have been searching for replacement rivets and have found a supplier in the UK who had just what I needed

IMG_9830_1 by my0771, on Flickr

They are a very good fit and the colour is a good match too. I have not cleaned or polished the other metal work that holds the bag together as I still feel bad about renewing the leather.

IMG_9824_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 28th, 2015), elaineb (March 28th, 2015)

Thanks

After many attempts at painting the metal work for this bag I have finally achieved a finish that I am happy with

IMG_9870_1 by my0771, on Flickr

As with many projects this is a learning process I have sewed the edges right to the top however when I dry fitted everything I found that I need to remove some of the seams to allow the metalwork to fit in place, so a little more cutting and sewing is required.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Today I riveted the handle and end pieces in place ready for the final assembly which I am planning to do tomorrow.

IMG_9876_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I may give the handle a quick rub over with some black dye to tidy it up a little.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

I have forgotten to rivet the feet into place so that will be my next job before I put the two pieces together this is the finished metal work

IMG_9899_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The bag itself needs to have all four corners trimmed and the feet riveted in place and it also needs a polish with some nice wax

IMG_9902_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 6th, 2015)

Thanks

As one project nears completion which I am planning on keeping for myself although I have said that before
    I have two other cases that are in the early stages

This is the first based on the hardware from an old Gladstone type case the pieces are all marked out and cut out oversize ready to be dyed

IMG_9888_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The second is a full custom small messenger bag here you can see the pieces all marked out ready for cutting out

IMG_9882_1 by my0771, on Flickr

And if I finish them

IMG_9928_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_9937_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have managed to acquire another Pendragon brief case this time a tan one which I will re sew and line in suede, The owner of the first case is very happy with the addition of the strap that I will be adding one to this case also.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

OK to update from yesterdays post time to add a little colour the first 5 pieces now look like this

IMG_9944_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The second case is burgundy and is bigger

IMG_9945_1 by my0771, on Flickr

the next picture shows the front inside divider and the back pocket

IMG_9946_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Finally the gusset piece buckles and handle

IMG_9940_1 by my0771, on Flickr

All of the components will be left to dry overnight and fingers crossed I will be happy with the colour tomorrow

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

Dying leather is not easy getting an even colour is almost impossible getting something you are happy with is a compromise which I often find difficult.
    I start the process with a 50 50 mix of dye and dye reducer so after two days of applying coat after coat this is what I have

IMG_9954_1 by my0771, on Flickr

It is a rich and deep colour for some reason it looks more patchy in the pictures than it does in person.

The next stage is to think about the handle one of the requests for this project was for a handle that was attached directly to the bag with as little flex as possible you can buy handle kits but there is no fun in that.
    So this is how I am going to start a 3mm diameter leather thong and a piece of leather

IMG_9961_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Roll the thong in the leather and add a little glue

IMG_9964_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The diameter changes to 12 mm this is the core of the handle I will add layers of leather to form the final shape

Thanks for looking

Michael

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 11th, 2015)

Thanks

I have started the assembly process on the burgundy bag commissioned by a member on fpn, I started this morning by backing the dyed leather in the cognac suede chosen for this project.

The gusset piece had been soaked in water before the suede was glued in place I folded the gusset in half and pressed it down.

IMG_9970_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The next two pictures show both sides of the centre divider one is leather the other is suede

IMG_9972_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_9974_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The reason for starting with the centre is when I restored the pendragon case earlier in this thread I found it very difficult to add the centre section.

Thanks for looking

Michael

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

This is so cool, Michael. I love seeing the steps along the way. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

MY63 (April 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    This is so cool, Michael. I love seeing the steps along the way. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Sometimes hitting the thanks button is just not enough I do appreciate your comments it means a lot to me to know my work is enjoyed by others.

This picture shows the front piece and the rear pocket I had thought of running a line of stitching around the top edge of these panels as well as the centre divider there is also a technique to add a crease along the inside of the edge to add some detail however I am unsure what to add or if I should leave it alone

IMG_9976_1 by my0771, on Flickr

If anyone is wondering what happened to the blue panels I showed the other day well I am still adding dye as the colour was not quite right

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thanks

I went to my suppliers this morning and asked the master saddler and he said "leave it alone it is fine" so that is what I will do.

I need to finish the handle so I have glued a strip of leather to my tube and built up the ends there are no handles like this in my books so I am learning as I go the request was for a fixed handle without joints.

IMG_9979_1 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see I have a long strip which will be fixed to the bag and I will wrap the round section and the strip in the same leather as the rest of the bag I plan on using the off cut from the flap on the front of the bag which I made extra long, (of course I did that on purpose)

Thanks for looking

Michael

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Look what I picked up today 9.5 sq ft of super soft pink nappa leather

IMG_9985_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Someone is going to be very happy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 15th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Happy dance!!!! Joy joy!!!!

Thanks

The burgundy bag for want of a better name has caused me some issues over the last few weeks like many people I sometimes doubt my own ability and the flap and fastening straps caused me much doubt.
    In the end I realised that the straps were too large and this was throwing all of my measurements out once I realised this was the issue I was able to cut the straps down to size and fit them this morning after cutting the flap to the correct length.
    I will explain more about straps and their fitting later for now though.

IMG_0048_1 by my0771, on FlickrEverything is held together by small clips at the moment except for the rear pocket which is glued in place ready for sewing

Thanks for looking

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; April 20th, 2015 at 12:16 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 20th, 2015), reprieve (April 20th, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

That burgundy bag is gorgeous! It's coming together really nicely. It looks like a sleeker, modern version of the vintage Pendragon cases. Very impressive.

Thanks

Thanks Reprieve it is indeed in the Pendragon style the fastening straps were made from the template I took from your very own case, I have reduced them in size as the case is a little smaller.
    This is my first bag made entirely by me so I am very pleased with it.
    Last edited by MY63; April 21st, 2015 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks

I cut the upper and lower straps from the same template the upper ones are just attached to the flap,

IMG_0049_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The lower straps need a stronger hold so a slot is cut for the pin then the strap is folded back under as you can see from the picture, to add more strength I have punched a hole for a rivet. according to the book I should cut a slot in the front of the case and pass the lower part of the strap through before riveting through the front of the case and the lower part of the strap.
    The upper part of the strap is the sewn into place this allows the upper part of the strap to lie almost flat while covering the head of the rivet.

I hope this makes sense

Michael

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (April 21st, 2015)