Thread: The Mabie Todd Blackbird

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default The Mabie Todd Blackbird

Noticing a Blackbird with a nice flexible nib for sale in the For Sale section prompted the following musings which might be of interest:

Blackbirds, it is true very often have nice flexible nibs, though not exclusively so; I have had about ten of them - some of them are still here! I sold two today on ebay and their nibs were quite different: one, a 5245, had a nice semi-flex stub nib; the other, a BB2-6 (clipless) had a flexible nib like the one for sale. I sold recently, a BB2-60 (very like that one) which also had a nice flexible nib. I sold a blue one (5275) that had rather an ordinary nib.

On the other hand I have a brown (with age) Blackbird (Lady Blackbird) that has a semi-flex fine-ish nib, and another BB2-60 with a smooth medium firm nib that will go on sale tomorrow.

Lastly there is a curious one. The nib is the size of a Swan 2 with heart-shaped breather and on the body is stamped Blackbird No 3 with "Fine" stamped on the end of the barrel. The nib is interesting: it is fine and feels fine but pushed a little there's plenty of flex. I have never seen another one of these; it many respects it resembles a Swan Minor with black filler lever and the early chrome clip with the flat section that normally reads Swan on the Swan Minors, early SM and L200-60 etc., but this is plain but with the familiar Blackbird stamped below the curve. Tragically the cap had been damaged and has had to be cut back a little, so I suppose it's a "Keeper" - not great tragedy though!

Here a couple of snaps with a BB2-60 for comparison.

No3 and BB2_60 s.jpgNo3 s.jpg

So in summary when buying a Blackbird try to insist on a writing sample; they do vary a great deal.

Best wishes

Cob

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

7188photo (July 21st, 2014), discopig (July 20th, 2014), FeedTheFire (July 21st, 2014), Jeph (July 20th, 2014), RuiFromUK (July 20th, 2014), ThriveToScribe (July 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: The Mabie Todd Blackbird

Would a normal Swan cap fit on that? I have one that has a no name pen (actually and "Advance" pen) with a Conlkin nib and feed attached. The cap does not really fit my pen.
    photo.JPG
    I know it is not exactly the same, but PM me if this would be a proper match and if you are interested.
    Edit: Maybe won't fit yours either on second thought, but had it sitting in my drawer . . .
    Best,
    Mars
    Last edited by Marsilius; July 19th, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Fortibus es in ero

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 20th, 2014), FeedTheFire (July 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Would a normal Swan cap fit on that? I have one that has a no name pen (actually and "Advance" pen) with a Conlkin nib and feed attached. The cap does not really fit my pen.
    photo.JPG
    I know it is not exactly the same, but PM me if this would be a proper match and if you are interested.
    Edit: Maybe won't fit yours either on second thought, but had it sitting in my drawer . . .
    Best,
    Mars
    What a lovely thought! It might or might not fit! I have quite a few Swans and Blackbirds, and interchangeability is not often found! ANd I have a Swan SM200/60 with exactly the same pattern - that also needs a cap.

I have sent you a PM.

Many thanks

Cob

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

FeedTheFire (July 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Mabie Todd pens can have some of the greatest flex nibs (if I recall correctly, they produced flexible nibs for a longer time than most other companies of the time like Waterman), but there is a lot of variation like you said. I wouldn't ever buy without a writing sample.

My only Mabie Todd is a gold-filled Swan SF2 ringtop and its nib is an absolute delight. Not quite full flex but very lively. It's one of my favourite vintage pens.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to discopig For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 20th, 2014), FeedTheFire (July 21st, 2014), Marsilius (July 20th, 2014), ThriveToScribe (July 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by discopig View Post
    Mabie Todd pens can have some of the greatest flex nibs (if I recall correctly, they produced flexible nibs for a longer time than most other companies of the time like Waterman), but there is a lot of variation like you said. I wouldn't ever buy without a writing sample.

My only Mabie Todd is a gold-filled Swan SF2 ringtop and its nib is an absolute delight. Not quite full flex but very lively. It's one of my favourite vintage pens.
    I have become rather sceptical of writing samples. They often turn out to be misleading. For example, an Esterbrook 'flex' can produce a sample that suggests it is very flexible, but try doing it yourself once you have the pen in your hand and you realise your hand would drop off if you actually tried to write that way. Lots of pretty stiff nibs can be made to look semi-flex and semis made to look very flexible. The reputation of the seller counts with me if s/he is clearly knowledgeable and a clear description. If the seller is a general dealer whatever is said technically is a bit of a chance.
    Kindest regards
    Timothy

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to checkrail For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 20th, 2014), Deb (July 20th, 2014), Robert (July 20th, 2014), RuiFromUK (July 20th, 2014), ThriveToScribe (July 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

I agree. How the pen writes is partly down to the pen and partly to the writer. Someone once said to me that you can make a shovel flex if you press it hard enough. I do writing samples for the pens that I sell and most of the time my customers find them a good guide, but once in a while someone will get a pen that works entirely differently for them. We're all different.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 20th, 2014), RuiFromUK (July 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by checkrail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by discopig View Post

I have become rather sceptical of writing samples. They often turn out to be misleading. For example, an Esterbrook 'flex' can produce a sample that suggests it is very flexible, but try doing it yourself once you have the pen in your hand and you realise your hand would drop off if you actually tried to write that way. Lots of pretty stiff nibs can be made to look semi-flex and semis made to look very flexible. The reputation of the seller counts with me if s/he is clearly knowledgeable and a clear description. If the seller is a general dealer whatever is said technically is a bit of a chance.
    Kindest regards
    Timothy
    Yes, I agree.

I provide samples with my items, but I have been caught once or twice - I even posted once on an item for sale that I do not maltreat nibs to demonstrate flex that shouldn't be there. One seller who must I suppose, remain nameless, obviously has bigger muscles than I!

Problem is that to paraphrase a well-known saying "flex sells!"

Best wishes,
    Cob

Thanks

The flex on my blackbird was a very nice surprise. It was one of those eBay listings with 2 blurry photos and a very short description, so I took a gamble and it definitely paid off. Beautiful pen!
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    The flex on my blackbird was a very nice surprise. It was one of those eBay listings with 2 blurry photos and a very short description, so I took a gamble and it definitely paid off. Beautiful pen!
    Well done! That's the way!

Nevertheless as I said before, it is a lottery!

Best wishes

Cob