Thread: Vintage Aurora 88 vs Parker 51

Thanks

Default Vintage Aurora 88 vs Parker 51

First off I love this site and the friendly FP community. I want to get a vintage pen and I'm drawn to these two. Anyone with first hand experience using both? I'm looking for a reliable pen with some spring in the nib and large ink capacity.

Thanks
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Aurora 88 vs Parker 51

I've written with quite a few 51s but never wanted to own one. I bought one 88P and ended up hunting down a second, simply so I could have it on both an F and M nib.

Obviously, anytime someone poses a question like this, all of the answers are subjective; mine is no different. Aesthetically, they are night and day for me: I find the 51 eminently boring to look at, with the exception of custom pens like Ariel Kullocks (which are arguably *not* a 51), or an Empire cap (which I doubt I'll ever find or afford). And while there are a number of differing nibs for the Parkers, I am under the impression (51 aficionados, please correct if needed) that the vast majority are much more nails than soft, so finding a spring in the nib might be a long-shot. Not so for the Aurora pens, of which many have a nice bit of spring and almost flex to them.

No contest on the ink capacity, either, as the piston filler of my 88Ps hold a lot. Some people report leaks from the section threads, but my two 60+ year old pens have never had a problem. Mind you, the "88" has had a number of models, and I speak specifically of my love for the "P" from the 50's.

Again, just one guy's opinion. I hope you can play with some of each so that you get what they feel like to write with, how they feel in the hand, etc. And I hope you find a pen you enjoy.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Jon. I have been looking at Parker 51 for a couple of weeks but just a few days ago discovered the Aurora 88s. The Parker's have a great history and reputation but the 88 just is calling out to me. What I'm worried about is a pen that is unreliable. There would be no easy way for me to try the pens out so I'm looking for opinions.

Also what are the chances an Aurora 88 on ebay would be in good working order?

Thanks

If I choose...Aurora 88 is my choice. Parker 51 is not bad but I don't like the hood nib. Just like Jon said that Parker51 is boring to look at. Cause if you like Parker then 51 should be in your collection.

Thanks

I will have to do my best tracking an 88 in good working condition. Has anyone tried buying one of these from Ebay Italy?

Thanks

The Parker 51 is great and reliable but I find it hard to use because I can't see how the nib is aligned to the page. The Lamy 2000 and Aurora 88 are fine for me because I can see enough of the nib to know what I'm doing though. It's not that the 51 won't write for me, it's just that it's hard to maintain the sweet spot on the nib if I can't see a good amount of the tines.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (July 19th, 2014)

Thanks

Agreed. If you can find a nice vintage 88, very cool, especially if you can try it out and like how it feels. There will always be nice 51s around to get, and their nibs are more consistent in quality and feel than many pens. (I also sometimes have that issue of losing the sweet spot on the 51, which is just one reason why I still think the Vacumatic is one of the high points of American pens.)
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Maybe one day I could go to a pen show and get the perfect user grade Aurora 88 or risk an ebay purchase. Anyone have experience with the original 88 vs 88k vs 88p? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    ...I'm looking for a reliable pen with some spring in the nib and large ink capacity...
    You're basically describing the 88 here. While the 51 probably beats the 88 when it comes to reliability, I've never come across a 51 with anything other than a nail for a nib. As far as capacity goes, I'd have to measure it to provide a definite answer but the piston is by far my favorite to operate. Flushing and filling is just so much easier and quicker than a Vacumatic.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 19th, 2014), KBeezie (July 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Maybe one day I could go to a pen show and get the perfect user grade Aurora 88 or risk an ebay purchase. Anyone have experience with the original 88 vs 88k vs 88p? Thanks
    I've been known to sell a few. I actually have an 88 available right now with a semi-flex nib.

I prefer the 88 out of all of them. The 88k would be next on my list, then the 88P because it's slightly thinner than the other two. The 88 can often be found with hard rubber sections and piston knobs while the 88k and 88p both use celluloid. Actually, early 88k pens can be found with a mix of parts as can the late 88 pens. In actual use, there's no practical difference between them.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Thanks, Dan. I wasn't aware that the P was actually thinner (learn something new every day...). I have to say, while it is a small thing, the design difference of the P cap is what really hits my aesthetic mark. Captured very well on a photo of one of your previously sold pens!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks for the info Dan. It looks like you have an extended history using, restoring and selling 88s. If I found a rough 88 could you restore it? (Nib straightening, piston updating, ect?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thanks, Dan. I wasn't aware that the P was actually thinner (learn something new every day...). I have to say, while it is a small thing, the design difference of the P cap is what really hits my aesthetic mark. Captured very well on a photo of one of your previously sold pens!

That's funny, Jon. The 88P's cap design is what turns me off to it. Different stokes, I guess.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Yes, I can definitely restore it for you. One thing to aware of is the condition of the threads on the piston shaft that the nut threads onto.

If the pen has never been opened up you won't notice anything wrong. Heck, it'll most likely even fill a little or completely. The problem is the plastic used for the piston shaft becomes brittle and when removing the nut to replace the seal, those brittle threads will shear right off. I've only had 2 or 3 do this and there's nothing I can do to fix it. I know Ron Zorn has a way of fixing it but it isn't cheap.

Thanks

The one you are offering looks like a perfect user grade. I will keep me eyes open and start saving. I'm very excited about the Aurora 88 as my do everything go everywhere pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Yes, I can definitely restore it for you. One thing to aware of is the condition of the threads on the piston shaft that the nut threads onto.
    If the pen has never been opened up you won't notice anything wrong. Heck, it'll most likely even fill a little or completely. The problem is the plastic used for the piston shaft becomes brittle and when removing the nut to replace the seal, those brittle threads will shear right off. I've only had 2 or 3 do this and there's nothing I can do to fix it. I know Ron Zorn has a way of fixing it but it isn't cheap.
    So true! Mine is presently still in Ron's queue for this repair. When you buy an 88, there's always this risk, so I'd recommend getting one from a recognized source.

Thanks

Too bad your Aurora 88 was bought by someone other than me. Hope they enjoy it. One day I'll find one.
    Thanks for the info guys