Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Mosul Christians - pay infidel tax, leave, or die. By noon.

  1. #21
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 475 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mosul Christians - pay infidel tax, leave, or die. By noon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post

    There is a lot of animosity toward the Muslim faith.
    They have done a lot to earn it.

  2. #22
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,607
    Thanks
    346
    Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Mosul Christians - pay infidel tax, leave, or die. By noon.

    The idea of taxing "Non-Believers" is certainly not new or restricted to some caliphates. In fact it was widely popular among Christian countries throughout Europe over most of the last 2000 years. Pogroms ran a close second with genocide also in contention. The most common target for Christians were Jews but Muslims were also often targeted.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  3. #23
    Senior Member Ernst Bitterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Mosul Christians - pay infidel tax, leave, or die. By noon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post

    There is a lot of animosity toward the Muslim faith.
    They have done a lot to earn it.
    There's my point again. A group of violent dinks who claim connection to Islam have done a lot to earn it. The majority of Muslims have earned that animosity in exactly the same way the majority of western Christians earned the animosity of the people in the Middle East during the First Crusade: the actions of a relatively small group of extremely active and belligerent third sons of moneyed houses who were sticking swords in ALL the locals because they couldn't tell the difference between Turk, Jew, or Orthodox Christian, and in the main didn't much care about those differences because they were there to grab some "unclaimed" land. All of the above is why the ICRC uses a crescent rather than a cross certain areas; lingering hard feelings.

    "They" and "Those people" are terms we have to be very careful about applying.
    Given to daily lunatic raving, but also capable of more prolonged pen-centricity.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Ernst Bitterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Mosul Christians - pay infidel tax, leave, or die. By noon.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    The idea of taxing "Non-Believers" is certainly not new or restricted to some caliphates. In fact it was widely popular among Christian countries throughout Europe over most of the last 2000 years. Pogroms ran a close second with genocide also in contention. The most common target for Christians were Jews but Muslims were also often targeted.
    There was also the "Head Tax" here in Canada and similar measures in the US, aimed at keeping the immigration of Chinese down to as low a level as possible, with the similar underlying sentiment of "We don't like 'em, they're not like us, what can we do to be rid of 'em?"
    Given to daily lunatic raving, but also capable of more prolonged pen-centricity.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Scrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 475 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Mosul Christians - pay infidel tax, leave, or die. By noon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernst Bitterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post

    There is a lot of animosity toward the Muslim faith.
    They have done a lot to earn it.
    There's my point again. A group of violent dinks who claim connection to Islam have done a lot to earn it. The majority of Muslims have earned that animosity in exactly the same way the majority of western Christians earned the animosity of the people in the Middle East during the First Crusade: the actions of a relatively small group of extremely active and belligerent third sons of moneyed houses who were sticking swords in ALL the locals because they couldn't tell the difference between Turk, Jew, or Orthodox Christian, and in the main didn't much care about those differences because they were there to grab some "unclaimed" land. All of the above is why the ICRC uses a crescent rather than a cross certain areas; lingering hard feelings.

    "They" and "Those people" are terms we have to be very careful about applying.
    "sticking swords in ALL the locals because they couldn't tell the difference" That is kind of funny, because apparently lots of people still don't know the differences between the 73 divisions of Islam, and talk of it as if it were one thing. Like when a fatwa is made, people don't check which cleric and what sect, they might think it applies to all Muslims. So people get confused by what Islam stands for. I read somewhere that they thought G. Bush did not know the difference between Sunni and Shi'ite when he made war on Iraq.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •