Thread: Pen identification - Warranted Wing-Flow

Thanks

Default Pen identification - Warranted Wing-Flow

Can anyone of you guys who knows more than me (which is probably everyone) tell me if they know anything about this pen (see photo)?
    I could get it really cheap, but all it says is 50s, 60s USA Warranted Wing Flow fountain pen and the photograph.

Could be complete crap, but it looks like it could work just fine, maybe even have a bit of flex, but it's all difficult to say from just this photograph!!

Thanks

Default Re: Pen identification - Warranted Wing-Flow

Here is a reference to "wing flow" at Richrad Binder's Glossopedia:

with Wing Flow as a design and model by Chilton:
    Binder writes, "Chilton also developed a successful nib design, called the Wing-Flow, with “ears” that wrap around the feed to lock the two parts in alignment."

BUT

I'll add the (I believe much more likely) suspicion that "warranted wing flow" could also be a way of SOUNDING like "warranted" as in 14k, but it is actually only warranting that it is a wing flow . . .

This link, (reply #9) argues for that suspicion:

Here is another link (reply #6) arguing that nibs that say Wing-Flow USA are NOT Chilton and generally cheaper gold-plate nibs.

Anyway, looks kind of cool and enterprising. Looks like a piston filler, too.
    Last edited by Marsilius; July 26th, 2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Fortibus es in ero

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

7188photo (July 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Here is a reference to "wing flow" at Richrad Binder's Glossopedia:

with Wing Flow as a design and model by Chilton:
    Binder writes, "Chilton also developed a successful nib design, called the Wing-Flow, with “ears” that wrap around the feed to lock the two parts in alignment."

BUT

I'll add the (I believe much more likely) suspicion that "warranted wing flow" could also be a way of SOUNDING like "warranted" as in 14k, but it is actually only warranting that it is a wing flow . . .

This link, (reply #9) argues for that suspicion:

Here is another link (reply #6) arguing that nibs that say Wing-Flow USA are NOT Chilton and generally cheaper gold-plate nibs.

Anyway, looks kind of cool and enterprising. Looks like a piston filler, too.
    Thanks Marsilius! Yes, I am quite suspicious because it seems that there are also a lot of cheap "wing flow" pens around that have the same name but bad nibs.
    I had read the comments on the thread you mentioned about Wing-Flow USA being cheaper gold-late nibs, as well, but I'm wondering how that thing writes - after all it seems no-one actually bothered to try it out or write down what kind of nib it is (besides from being cheap and misleading :P).

And... "gold-plated" means it's a steel nib and likely not very flexible, correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7188photo View Post

Thanks Marsilius! Yes, I am quite suspicious because it seems that there are also a lot of cheap "wing flow" pens around that have the same name but bad nibs.
    I had read the comments on the thread you mentioned about Wing-Flow USA being cheaper gold-late nibs, as well, but I'm wondering how that thing writes - after all it seems no-one actually bothered to try it out or write down what kind of nib it is (besides from being cheap and misleading :P).

And... "gold-plated" means it's a steel nib and likely not very flexible, correct?
    A steel nib could be flexy. I would get it out of the same curiosity, assuming it is not too expensive. Cheap and misleading is at least cheap!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post

A steel nib could be flexy. I would get it out of the same curiosity, assuming it is not too expensive. Cheap and misleading is at least cheap!
    True! Well, I guess I was hoping anyone would know about these kind of pens and how they write - if it is more likely to be a crappy writer than a good writer then even cheap would be money wasted. If noone has seen/heard about a pen like this and if you the experts say there might be a chance that it could actually be a pretty good writer, then I'll get it