Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nemosine Singularity

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Nemosine Singularity

I have bought two of these things because I like how they look, but in the case of each of them, the nibs truly stink. I have tried smoothing them myself, but nothing I've tried have made them into good writers, no matter the paper. I bought one with an XF nib, and that ended up being a gusher and super scratchy, even with cartridges. I changed out the nib to a Goulet nib and that's a bit better, but I still cannot find love for it in my heart.

I then bought a Nemosine with a stub nib, and that one is even scratchier. I have tried to work with it, but I'm about to give up on it, too. I'd read of people being quite happy with these pens. Maybe it's just me or my bad luck. I love the way they look, but not the way they write. And I'm not having any luck with adjusting them myself.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Nemosine Singularity

Yea when I got my Nemosine Singularity with the Calligraphy 0.8 nib, I hated it, too dry/rubbery on paper. Didn't matter what I did.

I swapped that nib out for a Goulet 1.5 and it writes WONDERFULLY, so smooth and wet.

They take a typical #6 nib, like the Jinhao X450/X750/159 or Monteverde. But I've not been a fan of Nemosine's cheap nibs.

But every pen I buy, I make sure to flush them with some soapy water to clean out the feed and such before I rinse them with clear water and ink them up. If you haven't cleaned your pens yet, try that.

I mainly still have the nemosine cuz I currently don't' have any other pens that will take a #6 nib that I'd like to put my stub into.

PS: I've not had a problem with Goulet's EF or Medium either.

Oh by the way, check around the inside of your cap, see if both of them have tiny cracks around them like mine, when I got mine it had no less than 25 micro-cracks around the lip of the cap.
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 27th, 2014 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks

I've been lucky so far. I have 2 Nemosines and 1 Knox pen and the nibs were okay. A little on the dry side but they were usable right after the initial rinse with soapy water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I have bought two of these things because I like how they look, but in the case of each of them, the nibs truly stink. I have tried smoothing them myself, but nothing I've tried have made them into good writers, no matter the paper. I bought one with an XF nib, and that ended up being a gusher and super scratchy, even with cartridges. I changed out the nib to a Goulet nib and that's a bit better, but I still cannot find love for it in my heart.
    My EF nib is slightly scratchy and dry, with a very fine line. I smoothed it a little with mylar and it writes OK, but I wouldn't put it among my best EFs (some of which cost less.) Strange that the GP nib didn't help; my GP EF certainly writes better than my SIngularity, but I haven't tried it on that pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,753 Posts

I guess I've been lucky, too. I have, uhmm, four of them. XF, F, M, .06. They write a little dry, and I 'Waverly-ized' the M so it's a gusher. But all smooth enough. I like the light weight and the width.

Maybe yours need a nib swap, Lady O?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

A very timely thread for me, as I have been considering one of these, in an EF or a stub. Are there any further opinions? The Knox nibs are ok? Not that the GP nibs are unreasonable, but some of the pens I want to put them in cost 1/3 what the nib did, and I'll have to get over that if I can't get nibs more in line with what my possibly unreasonable brain thinks to look for...

I've also got some pens that need the other size of Knox nibs, for which Goulet does not have an equivalent, so any info on Singularity OR Knox nibs very welcome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    A very timely thread for me, as I have been considering one of these, in an EF or a stub. Are there any further opinions? The Knox nibs are ok? Not that the GP nibs are unreasonable, but some of the pens I want to put them in cost 1/3 what the nib did, and I'll have to get over that if I can't get nibs more in line with what my possibly unreasonable brain thinks to look for...

I've also got some pens that need the other size of Knox nibs, for which Goulet does not have an equivalent, so any info on Singularity OR Knox nibs very welcome.
    Well Knox does have a 1.9 stub, also they have a Oblique Broad and Oblique Broad x2 now.

http://www.xfountainpens.com/collect...untain-pen-nib

I've not tried the Knox ones but I imagine just maybe they're the same folks who makes nemosine's nibs.

Some discussions on how the oblique ones aren't oblique at all and general feedback regarding Knox: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...35-bulow-nibs/
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 28th, 2014 at 09:47 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

scrivelry (July 28th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I guess I've been lucky, too. I have, uhmm, four of them. XF, F, M, .06. They write a little dry, and I 'Waverly-ized' the M so it's a gusher. But all smooth enough. I like the light weight and the width.

Maybe yours need a nib swap, Lady O?
    I think you are right, Sailor--a nib swap is definitely in order.
    Lady Onogaro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    My EF nib is slightly scratchy and dry, with a very fine line. I smoothed it a little with mylar and it writes OK, but I wouldn't put it among my best EFs (some of which cost less.) Strange that the GP nib didn't help; my GP EF certainly writes better than my SIngularity, but I haven't tried it on that pen.
    The Goulet nib works well in the pen, I think I am having a problem with the converter, too. I've tried a long international cartridge, which does not fit, by the way (it's one of theirs, too), and now I am working with a Monteverde short international cartridge. I think that might solve the problem. But since I have so many other pleasant writers, I think this pen is one that is going into the pen graveyard.
    Lady Onogaro

Thanks

Is it possible that Nemosine nibs are made by Knox? With the xFountainPen connection, and the Buelow sporting Knox nibs, and if they are German nibs but aren't JoWo or Bock, what else would they be?

Thanks

But since I have so many other pleasant writers, I think this pen is one that is going into the pen graveyard.
    *salutes the Singularity as it is lowered into the cold earth*

Thanks

I've had the opposite experience with my Singularity; the nibs were fine, the pen itself is junk, completely unusable(the worst of many problems is that the nib is loose in the section, so it wobble side to side as I (try to)write).
    So I installed the .6mm stub in a Monteverde to get the line type, work fine, while the Nemosine pen itself will never see ink again.

Thanks

The Goulet nib works well in the pen, I think I am having a problem with the converter, too. I've tried a long international cartridge, which does not fit, by the way (it's one of theirs, too), and now I am working with a Monteverde short international cartridge. I think that might solve the problem. But since I have so many other pleasant writers, I think this pen is one that is going into the pen graveyard.
    Alas, poor Nemo!

Thanks

Is it possible that Nemosine nibs are made by Knox? With the xFountainPen connection, and the Buelow sporting Knox nibs, and if they are German nibs but aren't JoWo or Bock, what else would they be?
    Well the Buelow as from what I've seen are just Jinhao X450s that have been rebranded Buelow. They may have put in a high enough order to have their own brand applied to the pen itself. Likewise the ones the K26 nibs fit on are also the #5 sizes of Jinhao/Boaer pens.

Thanks

I got a Nemosine Fission for a review, and it had a fine nib. It was not smooth at all, and stiff beyond belief, almost like it pushes back even under the lightest pressure, maybe that's the 50gms of pen but still.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Malone View Post
    I got a Nemosine Fission for a review, and it had a fine nib. It was not smooth at all, and stiff beyond belief, almost like it pushes back even under the lightest pressure, maybe that's the 50gms of pen but still.
    The 0.8 I had felt the same, almost like writing on rubber almost.

I suspect that with many accounts of such feeling, that it means the surface of the nib's tipping simply isn't polished well enough, so it's not really a scratch at the edge of the tines but on a microscopic level it's probably grabbing paper along the surface.

If I had not sold one of my X750 with the 0.8 Calligraphy nib I would have gotten some lifesize macros of the surface.

Thanks

I think Nemosine is a case of getting what you pay for. On the demos, if you don't have lip cracks you soon will. Mine took four months to start. I think it is poor design and too much pressure is applied by screwing them down. The nibs appear to be hit or miss. I have an EF that is as fine as my Pilot Penmanship. I had to scrub the feed with a soapy toothbrush to get it to flow right. I will assume Bock/Jowo/Knox make the nibs at a discounted rate with commensurate QC. When supplying cheap parts costs must be cut, no easier way than limiting what you reject.
    I hope you can get one of these running properly. They can be nice writers, but that may be more of an exception than I originally thought.

Paul

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidde View Post
    I think Nemosine is a case of getting what you pay for. On the demos, if you don't have lip cracks you soon will. Mine took four months to start. I think it is poor design and too much pressure is applied by screwing them down. The nibs appear to be hit or miss. I have an EF that is as fine as my Pilot Penmanship. I had to scrub the feed with a soapy toothbrush to get it to flow right. I will assume Bock/Jowo/Knox make the nibs at a discounted rate with commensurate QC. When supplying cheap parts costs must be cut, no easier way than limiting what you reject.
    I hope you can get one of these running properly. They can be nice writers, but that may be more of an exception than I originally thought.

Paul
    On my 'purchase' of the demonstrator (my first dealings with Pens N' More, especially since they accidently sent m the pink one first instead of the demonstrator I ordered), brand new right out of the box, I have these:

Larger copy: http://static.karlblessing.com/revie...racks_2560.jpg

I've heard the colored ones do the same too, but you don't notice it as much as you would on the demonstrator model.

It's one of the primary reasons I have not purchased another Nemosine.

PS: And yes with singularity I got, it never did flow right until I soaked that feed for a while (in hopes of making the calligraphy nib writing well, which it still sucked after the feed was cleaned, but any other nib was just fine, such as my Jinhao medium or Monteverde Black Coated fine).

I could say it's a matter of getting what you paid, but Pilot's nibs on their $15 metropolitans seem to do a world better than the equivalent priced Nemosine.
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 28th, 2014 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks

I put a Goulet Pens EF on my Singularity today and it's a very pleasant nib to me, with Waterman's Mysterious Blue, feedback but no scratch, and in any case better than the stock nib which was a little stubborn and toothy.

But now that that's taken care of, I feel like there is just not enough weight in the section. I wrote a letter with it, and it's such a light pen that it seems to need some kind of balancing weight to it that isn't there. Minor to me, but I could see that being important.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kidde View Post

Paul
    On my 'purchase' of the demonstrator (my first dealings with Pens N' More, especially since they accidently sent m the pink one first instead of the demonstrator I ordered), brand new right out of the box, I have these:

Larger copy: http://static.karlblessing.com/revie...racks_2560.jpg

I've heard the colored ones do the same too, but you don't notice it as much as you would on the demonstrator model.

It's one of the primary reasons I have not purchased another Nemosine.

PS: And yes with singularity I got, it never did flow right until I soaked that feed for a while (in hopes of making the calligraphy nib writing well, which it still sucked after the feed was cleaned, but any other nib was just fine, such as my Jinhao medium or Monteverde Black Coated fine).

I could say it's a matter of getting what you paid, but Pilot's nibs on their $15 metropolitans seem to do a world better than the equivalent priced Nemosine.
    Well...the Nemos are like a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. Nibs range from XF to medium stub, but occasionally you get Earwax.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Dreck (July 31st, 2014)