Thread: Other than eBay - Decent place to find a Demi/Symphony Nib?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Other than eBay - Decent place to find a Demi/Symphony Nib?

Was curious if there was any decent places to look around to find a replacement nib for a Skyline Demi or Symphony (to my understanding both have the same nib size as well as being the same nib for the most part).

Also seems like in terms of just looking for a symphony for it's nib, seems like everyone wants $80+ for em.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Other than eBay - Decent place to find a Demi/Symphony Nib?

Karl, when you say "decent", what are you asking? Are you talking in terms of a safe, reliable purchase, or are you looking for low-cost, or ??

One place that springs to mind is Five Star Pens. You can take a look at the W/E nibs on this page; if you don't see something you are looking for, write to Bob Lott to see if he has stuff he hasn't put online, and also maybe ask if his brother, Richard, might have some. These guys are great at pen shows - I was looking for a hard to find blind cap for a 1st gen Vac, and when Richard didn't have one (he's the guy with the big bins and bags of parts), he said "go ask my brother", and sure enough, he had one!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Karl, when you say "decent", what are you asking? Are you talking in terms of a safe, reliable purchase, or are you looking for low-cost, or ??

One place that springs to mind is Five Star Pens. You can take a look at the W/E nibs on this page; if you don't see something you are looking for, write to Bob Lott to see if he has stuff he hasn't put online, and also maybe ask if his brother, Richard, might have some. These guys are great at pen shows - I was looking for a hard to find blind cap for a 1st gen Vac, and when Richard didn't have one (he's the guy with the big bins and bags of parts), he said "go ask my brother", and sure enough, he had one!
    Well decent in the sense that they know what they're selling, and not give me a "huh?" if I ask them for the nib size or measurements.

Also not seeing "demi" on the link you provided and the ones that say skyline I'm not sure if it's the smaller or bigger one just from the picture. (there is one that's sold that says 'smaller' nib size). I'm looking in the 20-30 range, not too picky on flex (some would be nice, but firm would be fine too).
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 1st, 2014 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks

These guys have been in the biz for quite a while. I'm certain if you write them, esp if you can give measurements of the nibs you are trying to match/purchase, you'll find out. Your price may be too low, and low prices may mean having to deal with people who don't know what they have. FWIW, I think their prices are reasonable for the market. Best of luck.

BTW, I don't know if you've seen the excellent article on the Skyline on Jim Mamoulides' site, but certainly worth a read if you haven't.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

These guys have been in the biz for quite a while. I'm certain if you write them, esp if you can give measurements of the nibs you are trying to match/purchase, you'll find out. Your price may be too low, and low prices may mean having to deal with people who don't know what they have. FWIW, I think their prices are reasonable for the market. Best of luck.

BTW, I don't know if you've seen the excellent article on the Skyline on Jim Mamoulides' site, but certainly worth a read if you haven't.
    Anything higher than 50 seems too high in my opinion if it's not a speciality nib (ie: accounting, excellent flex, etc) seeing as the pens themselves don't cost much more than 80-100 restored.

I'll give that a read.

Thanks

Well, I'm sure you can find it for less than 50... on eBay! If you find some place that sells them that cheap on a regular basis, be sure to let us all know. I just wanted to point out a source that was reliable and trustworthy. Possibly some of the restorers might have extra nibs they would sell in your price range.

Thanks

Well, I'm sure you can find it for less than 50... on eBay! If you find some place that sells them that cheap on a regular basis, be sure to let us all know. I just wanted to point out a source that was reliable and trustworthy. Possibly some of the restorers might have extra nibs they would sell in your price range.
    No doubt, just giving my first impression solely on price, not so much a reflection on the quality/history of the retailer/restorer/shop.

Sean (write on time) who I would normally go thru doesn't seem to have 'spare' nibs to fit a demi/symphony, but does have 9 other restored and warranted (1yr) Demis I could buy for $80 a pop if I wanted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Karl,

I know you asked about places other than ebay to find a nib for a skyline, but there's a nib listed for sale on ebay now ($25.00). You probably saw it but just in case you haven't....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Eversh...item1c442ea155
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I would suggest checking with Richard Binder, The Anderson's or nibs.com

After Wednesday of course
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Teri at Peyton's Pens might be a place to ask, too. I thought of that after I posted my link.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Karl,

I know you asked about places other than ebay to find a nib for a skyline, but there's a nib listed for sale on ebay now ($25.00). You probably saw it but just in case you haven't....

Thanks I snagged that one. Most of the others I saw, the pictures were too blurry or the nib looked too damaged, or they didn't provide much information on what they would fit. Least with that listing, the price was right, the size mentioned, and pictures clear of the nib and tipping.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Karl,

Thanks I snagged that one. Most of the others I saw, the pictures were too blurry or the nib looked too damaged, or they didn't provide much information on what they would fit. Least with that listing, the price was right, the size mentioned, and pictures clear of the nib and tipping.

Unfortunately this nib does not fit, it's not a Demi nib, it's a Symphony nib (which turns out won't fit a demi, they're too short, in order to get the nib to stay in the section the feed has to be up near the tipping which makes it useless for writing).