Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor-Cars this Time

Banned
    Thanks

Default Motor-Cars this Time

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Motor-Cars this Time

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Wow, you accuse me of compensating for something. You say that I'm supposed to know about the performance vehicles I buy. You say I'm supposed to know about the pens I buy. Oh yeah, and you call me a poser. It's funny because I haven't said anything to you, and yet you're telling me that I need to learn to listen and not speak. You even called me ignorant. You also said I have little tolerance for ignorance. That's not true; I have a great deal of tolerance for ignorance. Thank you for the lesson in humility
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

You're welcome.

We'll see if it works.

You had vowed to be nice, and yet that didn't last long. Try again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Speaking of engines...they don't fit is cars but search WASP Radial for more.

and slightly bigger...

And then there is the whistle.

Thanks

I learn something new every day...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Speaking of engines...they don't fit is cars but search WASP Radial for more.

and slightly bigger...

And then there is the whistle.
    The rotary engines of mazda are pretty interesting, high horsepower possible with very low displacement. Strangely when I was looking at buying one the service department told me that in the used Rx7's if the owner drove the engine as hard as they could it wouldn't usually have issues, but if the owner babied it it was likely to have issues. The other issue was that they had a nasty habit of catching fire....
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
    The rotary engines of mazda are pretty interesting, high horsepower possible with very low displacement. Strangely when I was looking at buying one the service department told me that in the used Rx7's if the owner drove the engine as hard as they could it wouldn't usually have issues, but if the owner babied it it was likely to have issues. The other issue was that they had a nasty habit of catching fire....
    There is some truth to that and actually with many cars.

With brand new engines, many advise running it very hard for the first 1000 miles. It allows the piston rings to seat properly.

Oil seals are another issue. My sister's boyfriend has a 2011 Porsche 911 GT3. He can't ever let the car sit for long periods of time because the seals will start to cause oil leaks. The seals need to expand to maintain a tight seal.

My BMW 335i has similar issues. Most of the lightly driven 335i cars have HORRIBLE carbon build up. In fact, BMW recommends that 335i owners perform a walnut blast on their engines every few years. I've seen pictures of some engines with less than 30k miles that look like they had 200k because they were never cleaned and rarely exceeded 3k rpm.

On a side note: let's try to keep the conversation civil. It's rare to have a good car discussion on this forum and I'd hate for it to be ruined.

Thanks

[/QUOTE]

There is some truth to that and actually with many cars.

With brand new engines, many advise running it very hard for the first 1000 miles. It allows the piston rings to seat properly.

Oil seals are another issue. My sister's boyfriend has a 2011 Porsche 911 GT3. He can't ever let the car sit for long periods of time because the seals will start to cause oil leaks. The seals need to expand to maintain a tight seal.

My BMW 335i has similar issues. Most of the lightly driven 335i cars have HORRIBLE carbon build up. In fact, BMW recommends that 335i owners perform a walnut blast on their engines every few years. I've seen pictures of some engines with less than 30k miles that look like they had 200k because they were never cleaned and rarely exceeded 3k rpm.

On a side note: let's try to keep the conversation civil. It's rare to have a good car discussion on this forum and I'd hate for it to be ruined.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that as well but also know that some motorcycle manufacturers are putting in governors that limit rpm during the break in period. My bike didn't have one but they were very specific about don't exceed x rpm for the first 500 miles then another for 1000 miles and finally gave you the freedom to use all the range at 1500 i believe, might be 1200 but it was a while. I believe the BMW HP4 is one that has an electronic governor in it.

I'm not sure what exactly the best way to do it is. I tend to just follow the manufacturers recommendations because then there's not whining about warranty issues if it messes up, well not because i didn't follow the break in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

The important thing about running in is not so much RPM but throttle opening; within limits it's a question of loading rather than revs in other words and of course no "jazzing of the throttle" when the oil is cold.

Cob.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    The important thing about running in is not so much RPM but throttle opening; within limits it's a question of loading rather than revs in other words and of course no "jazzing of the throttle" when the oil is cold.

Cob.
    Well, it's a number of issues.

High RPM can break things like valve springs...in the event that leads to a valve dropping you're probably replacing a full motor.

Load is arguably the most important. The fancy word for it is "Volumetric Efficiency." VE is also directly related to gas mileage. The common misconception is that keeping RPM low will help with gas mileage. That simply isn't true.

Predetonation is another important issue. That's why you should never put cheap gas or lower octane gas in your car. That's a great way to save yourself $2 in gas, but pay $5000 for a new motor.

Cold- obviously metal is less pliable when it's cold. You'd be amazed at how many people fail to grasp this concept. I remember a friend of mine bragging to me about his new Porsche. We went outside and he started the car and bounced it off the rev limiters 2 seconds after a cold start....great way to spend $20k on a new motor.

In the end, temperature is the most important variable, at least in my opinion. Heat kills engines and transmissions more than anything else. That culminates IATs, the actual weather outside, oil/fluid temperatures, and the temperature inside the engine.

On a related note: I'd take the manufacturer's recommendations with a grain of salt. Remember that they're giving biased information. They stay in business by avoiding repair costs during the warranty period and making you pay for repair costs after that period ends. They're also giving advice to everyone who drives their car.....that's generally catered to the average moron who only services/maintains their car when there's a light blinking on the dashboard.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Wait! I missed something! In all the talk of valves and thingies and moto-whatsits, I thought I heard I couldn't get a supersized 10 valve/cylinder engine to revive my Fleetwood. What do I know?

Never doubted it's your truck. Peace!
    Last edited by VertOlive; December 16th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

lsmith42 (December 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Wait! I missed something! In all the talk of valves and thingies and moto-whatsits, I thought I heard I couldn't get a supersized 10 valve/cylinder engine to revive my Fleetwood. What do I know?

Technically as long as you can fit it and get everything lined up, which may mean tacking your fleetwood body onto a viper frame....., you can put anything you want into anything. Some of the monsters out there are fascinating/horrifying. I saw a monster truck frame with a 70's vette body sitting in the front yard of some shack in Arkansas once. I also saw an old Toyota MR2 fitted up with jet engines for sale on eBay about 8 years ago. They had totally removed the engine and just made a rolling chassis powered by two jet engines...not recommended necessarily but the only limit is physics and the imagination lol

Thanks

Technically as long as you can fit it and get everything lined up, which may mean tacking your fleetwood body onto a viper frame....., you can put anything you want into anything. Some of the monsters out there are fascinating/horrifying. I saw a monster truck frame with a 70's vette body sitting in the front yard of some shack in Arkansas once. I also saw an old Toyota MR2 fitted up with jet engines for sale on eBay about 8 years ago. They had totally removed the engine and just made a rolling chassis powered by two jet engines...not recommended necessarily but the only limit is physics and the imagination lol
    You lot in the USA are lucky; in England it's more or less OK, but in Europe, forget it. France is bad (and Germany too I think) and in Italy you cannot even fit a roll cage - it is as they say, "non omologato" - you can't even change the wheels! I arrived in Italy in the modified Lancia Fulvia pictured at the top of this thread. I had just parked up in Turin when I was dragged off by two lads for an "espresso" - they were red-hot enthusiasts and couldn't believe that I was allowed to drive the car on the road in England.

Poor chaps!

Cob

Thanks

Franken-Caddy!

Seriously--I'd no idea you couldn't do this in Europe. What is the thinking behind that?
    Last edited by VertOlive; December 18th, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

Is this thing on?

(Tap, tap)

Thanks

What's with the "Test" posts?

Thanks

Seriously--I'd no idea you couldn't do this in Europe. What is the thinking behind that?
    Ultimately, it boils down to emissions. It’s also becoming a more significant issue here in the US as well.

To make it simple (for them), most governments heavily regulate replacement of OEM parts.

Thanks

Franken-Caddy!

Western European Disease I call it; they love the "social-democratic model" which in reality means they can push us around and employ an enormous and very expensive bureaucracy that spends its time looking for things to regulate. The same I believe applies in Australia - there they drive on the left as in Japan, South Africa and of course the UK; in Australia one is not allowed to drive a left-hand drive car - even the UK is not that bad.

Constant government nagging - years ago I warned that those smug anti-smoking fanatics who were patting themselves on the back would have the smiles wiped off their faces when their preferences were banned or regulated. Here in England where the government is agonising how old-age pensions are to be paid in the future, they seem to want us to live forever: "how many units [of alcohol] have you consumed today"; "have you had your five a day [fruit and veg]", don't speed, don't think, just watch the TV and obey all our rules. Makes me wild frankly. I read a book recently where it was posited that the Modern State (i.e. the one I am complaining about) where the State involves itself in the minutiae of our lives, began with the French Revolution and whilst I have no intention of retailing the arguments here, I can say that it was a jolly convincing case - and of course blaming Napoleon comes naturally to an Englishman!

Cob

Thanks

Right hand drive cars are illegal in the states, along with a few other nuances, there are ways around it from what I hear but buying a RHD car is out of my price range at the moment. There are car companies that make two U.S. models, one for California and one for the other states. I am a fan of a couple Japanese only production cars that you can do a couple things to make legal in the U.S. but surprisingly the biggest issue aside from RHD is the glass in them from what I understand. The glass for the non U.S. models apparently don't meet the U.S. safety regulations or something.