Thread: My Favourite Hand

Thanks

Default My Favourite Hand

As a personal tribute to the awesome, majestic pianism of Marc-Andre Hamelin, it seemed appropriate to write in the most sublime of all the hands.

Over the past few years, I have gradually become aware of a personal preference in writing styles. I feel that it's time to come off the fence and state, unequivocally, that my favourite hand, both as a writer and as a viewer, is English Roundhand, more commonly known as Copperplate Script.
    Although I continue to enjoy writing the other hands; Italic, Foundational, Spencerian, Gothic, Engraver's Script, Uncial etc. I find myself most often returning to Copperplate for the sheer pleasure of writing it. For me, no other hand has that combination of grace and beauty, evenly described with the sensation of the controlled, flexible nib, ending up on paper, the epitome of human endeavour with a pen.

Anyway, that's my subjective opinion. I would be very interested to hear the choice of others, especially if they are prepared to express the reason(s) for their choice. Please join in!

Last edited by caliken; August 2nd, 2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Calligraphic Design - www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to caliken For This Useful Post:

Aleks (August 3rd, 2014), Bogon07 (August 3rd, 2014), Cob (August 4th, 2014), Crazyorange (August 2nd, 2014), disillusion (August 5th, 2014), Jeph (August 2nd, 2014), migo984 (August 2nd, 2014), rgperedo (August 4th, 2014), writingrav (August 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: My Favourite Hand

Good pianist, too!

Thanks

English Roundhand/ Copperplate is an elegant and beautiful script. It takes incredible patience and practice to write it well. For me, it is a close second place to Spencerian. I think what I prefer about Spencerian is the delicacy of the lines and the patterns of nature that you see in it when you have studied it for a while.

Either of these hands can take a lifetime to truly master, but for me it is worth the effort.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyhenschel View Post
    English Roundhand/ Copperplate is an elegant and beautiful script. It takes incredible patience and practice to write it well. For me, it is a close second place to Spencerian. I think what I prefer about Spencerian is the delicacy of the lines and the patterns of nature that you see in it when you have studied it for a while.

Either of these hands can take a lifetime to truly master, but for me it is worth the effort.
    I can appreciate and respect your preference. Thanks for posting.
    Calligraphic Design - www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com