Thread: Cheap Composition Book

Thanks

Default Cheap Composition Book

I use a ton of composition books and so I tend to go for the cheap ones rather than the more expensive. Turns out some of the 50 cent back to school ones aren't that great for fountain pens but I have found a brand called yoobi at target (note I don't work for either one) that seems to work well they are like 2.50 where I'm from. Here's a sample I was using a sailor sapporo with shin - kai ink. There is a little feedback from the paper while writing but not much. photo-2.JPG

You can see a little bit of the page underneath but it doesn't seem to actually bleed through the back any more than a sharpie pen did.

Oh and as an added bonus they donate one notebook to under supplied classrooms in the U.S. for every one you buy.

Sorry about the picture size I chose a smaller one but it seems to be huge, I don't know how to edit that....
    Last edited by Quantum Sailor; August 5th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Cheap Composition Book

Nice I may swing by target and pic one out for practice material... The picture came out just fine in the iPad..
    May The Force Be With You!! ---

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Love Composition Books. Good to know this brand is fountain pen friendly. Thanks!
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

Thanks

I think it looks good as long as you use a fine nib. Your handwriting looks more on the small side, but it is a bargain nonetheless!

Thanks

Dollar stores sometimes have composition books "made in Brazil"....the Brazilian paper is very friendly!
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

Thanks

Dollar Tree sells composition books made in India. I just picked one up and it performs better IMO than the Brazilian paper. It does not feel as smooth however.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
    I use a ton of composition books and so I tend to go for the cheap ones rather than the more expensive. Turns out some of the 50 cent back to school ones aren't that great for fountain pens but I have found a brand called yoobi at target (note I don't work for either one) that seems to work well they are like 2.50 where I'm from. Here's a sample I was using a sailor sapporo with shin - kai ink. There is a little feedback from the paper while writing but not much. photo-2.JPG

You can see a little bit of the page underneath but it doesn't seem to actually bleed through the back any more than a sharpie pen did.

Oh and as an added bonus they donate one notebook to under supplied classrooms in the U.S. for every one you buy.

Sorry about the picture size I chose a smaller one but it seems to be huge, I don't know how to edit that....
    Never trust anyone who writes something in English and you still can't understand it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GING GING For This Useful Post:

Nomdeplume (August 7th, 2014)

Thanks

If you don't mine spiral bound notebooks, Staples had/has them for 17 cents each (made in Brazil).
    I bought 30 of them.

Thanks

After last year's back to school season at Target, I bought about a dozen Tops college rule composition books. They say "Made in Vietnam" and work really well for such a cheap book (I think they are selling for $0.50 right now). There is no bleed through on most inks, but a little with some inks especially at punctuation marks or other especially wet places.

Here are some images from a book I'm using to record what ink samples look like.

Thumbs to the reverse to see the bleed if you want; click through to see the full size image.

Last edited by mrcharlie; August 9th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrcharlie For This Useful Post:

jacksterp (August 10th, 2014), Nomdeplume (August 10th, 2014)

Thanks

Those turned out really well in the tops book. Might have been the lamy ink I was using when I tried it. It just didn't work how I wanted it to. I'll have to try again because you can't beat 50 cents.

As for the stuff on the page I showed that's actually math if you can believe it, so english may be a loose term for it lol.

Thanks

Looks very nice.

I see essentially no feathering even when slightly magnified.

A good inexpensive composition book.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TMac View Post
    Dollar Tree sells composition books made in India. I just picked one up and it performs better IMO than the Brazilian paper. It does not feel as smooth however.
    I got one of these yesterday. My test with a Visconti with a "M" nib and Diamine Salamander ink had a lot of showthru and a little bleedthru. No way would I be able to use both sides of the paper.

YMMV.