Thread: Learned a lesson today

Thanks

Default Learned a lesson today

I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not! I received a new Jinhao 159, flushed it out, and inked it up with one of my favorite inks: J Herbin Perle Noire. Started writing with it and after about 8 or 9 words a big glob of ink came out of it! Oh crap! Maybe just a glitch! Wrote about another 6 words and another glob of ink came out! Great! I was about to flush it out and chalk it up as a dud, but then I remembered a completely opposite situation where a pen would barely write with the ink I first put in it, I then put some Perle Noire in it and it worked great! Remembering this, I flushed it out and filled it with some Iroshizuku Take Sumi, which if I'm not mistaken is slightly thicker than Perle Noire. I then started writing with it again. Wrote a couple sentences and no globs of ink! Sweet! I have almost emptied the whole converter and no globs yet! So the lesson I learned is: Before I give up on any one particular pen, flush it out and try a different ink! It might just make a difference!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kurt S For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 10th, 2014), DMurphy (August 9th, 2014), Jon Szanto (August 17th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (August 9th, 2014), Mags (August 9th, 2014), Marsilius (August 9th, 2014), RuiFromUK (August 9th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Learned a lesson today

That is true. Some inks and pens just refuse to work together. Very small differences can make significant changes in the writing experience. It is an example of the true complexity of what looks to be a very simple air-ink interchange system in fountain pens.

Thanks

My J. Herbin inks are all wet writers (it's one if the reasons I love them). I need to remember that too when I'm trying new pens. I might follow your example and try a different ink in a pen I'd given up on.

Thanks

So, I put some diamine orange in that pen instead of the lovely wet J. Herbin ink and it made a huge difference! Timely reminder, thank you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brisboy For This Useful Post:

Kurt S (August 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Being new to all of this, I appreciate the advice. I only own two bottled inks and a couple of cartridges. I am well on my way!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I had nearly give up on my Levenger True Writer signature nib until I used a Sailor Jentle ink in it. Writes like a champ now!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Mags (August 18th, 2014)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Ink really does make a difference. I nearly gave up on Edison pens until I tried a few of my problem inks in them. They're quite good and reining in the wet, feathery inks!